New to Inferno: DH

Hey all. I'm working on getting my Demon Hunter through Hell difficulty right now, and going along pretty smoothly. My question however, is gearing for Inferno.

I have a couple million gold on me, so I can do a good amount of spending once I hit 60. My question is, for armor items (Such as Helm, Shoulder, Chest, etc) what stats should I be looking for? I know Dexterity is a big one, and I have Attack Speed and Crit Damage on my Crossbow. I'm new to Inferno, so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Also if it helps, the build I'm planning on going with is Glass Cannon.

Now I stand, the lion before the lambs... and they do not fear... They cannot fear...

Deleted
    I'm hesitant to say any exact figures because, quite honestly, builds vary quite a bit. Gearing in D3 is very different to gearing in games like WoW, where you can discern exact stat values and how much of each stat you want for the most optimal game play. It is mostly just research and trying to figure the stats out. Personally I found some videos quite helpful and it helps to also talk and listen to people on streams and threads at the official forums. Here's a link that I liked a lot and the author has several good videos, particular one about the AH and in it he also explains how he gears his DH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvY4yiiDhu8

My DH friend is having a good amount of success in Act 3 Inferno and he is using a glass cannon build that stacks Dex/Crit to take advantage of the chance to restore discipline on crit passive to spam smoke screen. With 2x hand crossbows, sharpshooter, the discipline on crit passive combined with smoke screen and preparation with chance to reset cooldown rune you can have smoke screen up nearly 100% of the time for near invincibility allowing you to stack insane amount of damage.

Hope this helps

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to know how you just hit Inferno with several millions in gold.

I can't seem to give away gear on the AH. Forget selling for anything significant. Inferno Butcher runs are ok, but the AH is flooded with that level of gear, and anything below 50 doesn't sell for very much either (if at all).

To answer your question, you can EZmode act 1 with a 600 DPS 2Her and a good quiver, anything better just makes it even easier. You might (on a good day) even find a good 900+ dps blue for 100-200K. Act 2 will be a lot rougher (at least until the patch).

Dex>attack speed / crit hit damage> crit chance. If you're (player controlled) avoidance is decent, you won't need much resist if any for act 1. Typical glass cannon guys go with Archery, Steady aim and Sharphooter with a high dps 2H xbow. Other builds work as well. That one just happens to be the easiest to get a lot of burst with. elemental arrow with NT, hungering arrow, caltrops, SS, prep, vault.

Stack dex. All gems should be green. If you use Sharpshooter, even your weapon gem should be green. Just don't go overboard gimping your HP and defense trying to hit high burst. You want some margin of error.

Well, I guess my title was a little misleading. :P I have a Barb that farms Act I from time to time for gold with GF gear on, so I normally make 400-500k from a single run. And the other secret to keeping my sanity during these runs is having Pandora running. Makes things so much better. :P

And I'm really going to be farming Act I for now, try and do some Act I farms with GF gear, and buy my way to the top pretty much. My progress pretty much depends when the patch drops I guess. xD

But thanks for the tips. Gonna put this all to use later tonight when I hit 60.

Now I stand, the lion before the lambs... and they do not fear... They cannot fear...

For a DH, crit chance, crit damage, and dexterity are your main stats. Attack speed comes next, and after all that defensive stats. Demon Hunters get killed in 1-3 hits no matter how much defensive gear you stack in act3/4, so you may as well just focus completely on offense.

---------- Post added 2012-06-09 at 10:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Disenchanted View Post
    To answer your question, you can EZmode act 1 with a 600 DPS 2Her and a good quiver, anything better just makes it even easier. You might (on a good day) even find a good 900+ dps blue for 100-200K.
    I just did a search in the AH, and there were 46 pages of blues with 960+ dps for under 200k.

Edit: 900 dps blues go for as low as 10k. Lol.
    Last edited by Maelstrom51; 2012-06-09 at 10:54 PM.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Disenchanted View Post
    Just don't go overboard gimping your HP and defense trying to hit high burst. You want some margin of error.
    I respect what you are saying but this point is somewhat debatable for a fresh Inferno DH.

High DPS/Survivability really only comes in to play with T15/16 gear found in Act 3/4 or on the AH for a bunch of gold. Until you can deck yourself out in this gear, most would advise to simply go full glass cannon.

However, until then, it's a little counter productive because the fights will last longer which means the odds of making a mistake such as catching yourself with no Discipline, Vaulting in to another pack of mobs, or getting hit by Mortar are a higher likelihood than having twice the DPS and half the combat-time. Getting hit by 2k or 30k overkill won't matter so it's best to kill them before they kill you.

That's my opinion anyway.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Deleted
    dex > attack speed > crit damage > crit chance is usually the stat priority but it honestly depends on the caliber of your gear. if you have little dex then attack speed is worth less but once you get a large amount of dex then the other stats scale much better.

i haven't been in inferno for long but following the stat priorities above i'm currently sitting at about 135k dps with SS and around 65k dps without. sailing through act 3 at the moment with very little problems with only around 14k hp. my biggest purchase was a 1k dps bow with 65% crit damage plus a slot with 70% crit gem for 800k. total gear is definitely under 2m, you just have to wait for gear and only buy out items with 1d11 or 1day12 hours left. if it's gone past 1day11 hours then it's usually not worth the price.
    Last edited by mmoce6d6d6a277; 2012-06-09 at 11:04 PM.

I disagree that attack speed is our best stat. Yes, it increases our character page the most, but it doesn't have much of an affect when kiting, and when we do get to turret it strains our resources much more. In my opinion maxing our crit chance and crit damage is a bit better for the aforementioned reasons.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom51 View Post
    I disagree that attack speed is our best stat. Yes, it increases our character page the most, but it doesn't have much of an affect when kiting, and when we do get to turret it strains our resources much more. In my opinion maxing our crit chance and crit damage is a bit better for the aforementioned reasons.
    you shouldn't barely ever need to kite if you play properly. if you mass chain caltrops and then spam nether tentacles you can pretty much kill anything before it gets near you. when it comes to those annoying elite combos then you have troubles no matter what you stats you geared for. with attack speed you can kite them back and shoot off maybe 3-4 and move again. without attack speed you can do 1 or 2. pretty sure the 3 or 4 hits would do more damage, which is why all of the legendaries which have attack speed are currently all of the best in slot items.

Deleted
    I went for crit, all resists and dex and tanking pretty much everything without problems in inferno act 1 with gloom with sub 1mil gear. Obviously I still need to kite a bit but Im only having trouble with immortal minions and jailers are sometimes slightly difficult. Ive tried the same tactics in act 2 too and it works fine with normal mobs but too many death with elites and champions so I'll farm act 1 for better gear for a while.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by crazypearce View Post
    you shouldn't barely ever need to kite if you play properly. if you mass chain caltrops and then spam nether tentacles you can pretty much kill anything before it gets near you. when it comes to those annoying elite combos then you have troubles no matter what you stats you geared for. with attack speed you can kite them back and shoot off maybe 3-4 and move again. without attack speed you can do 1 or 2. pretty sure the 3 or 4 hits would do more damage, which is why all of the legendaries which have attack speed are currently all of the best in slot items.
    With white mobs yeah but those aren't an issue anyway you slice it. It's the elites and champs that you need to really kite and AS becomes meaningless after a certain a point, at least for bows and handcross bows, which have a faster AS and will reach that point faster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom51 View Post
    For a DH, crit chance, crit damage, and dexterity are your main stats. Attack speed comes next, and after all that defensive stats. Demon Hunters get killed in 1-3 hits no matter how much defensive gear you stack in act3/4, so you may as well just focus completely on offense.

---------- Post added 2012-06-09 at 10:52 PM ----------

I just did a search in the AH, and there were 46 pages of blues with 960+ dps for under 200k.

Edit: 900 dps blues go for as low as 10k. Lol.
    Wow. Prices on those are really dropping. I haven't looked in a long time though. I don't need a 900 dps blue anymore.

---------- Post added 2012-06-10 at 12:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rustweaver View Post
    I respect what you are saying but this point is somewhat debatable for a fresh Inferno DH.

High DPS/Survivability really only comes in to play with T15/16 gear found in Act 3/4 or on the AH for a bunch of gold. Until you can deck yourself out in this gear, most would advise to simply go full glass cannon.

However, until then, it's a little counter productive because the fights will last longer which means the odds of making a mistake such as catching yourself with no Discipline, Vaulting in to another pack of mobs, or getting hit by Mortar are a higher likelihood than having twice the DPS and half the combat-time. Getting hit by 2k or 30k overkill won't matter so it's best to kill them before they kill you.

That's my opinion anyway.
    Oh, I agree mostly. I did say don't waste time stacking resist, etc.

All I'm really saying is don't go to like, 5K HP just to hit high DPS. If you keep it around 20K or more, you can survive anything not caused by a boss, or champ pack. Makes life a little more tolerable.