Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Diablo III *fause advertisement* RMAH/battle net authenticator

Ok this is my personally opinion. *now since that is said* *I do hope people stand up to blizzard on this personally im tired of game companys trying to nickel and dime us every chance they get*

* Offical blizzard link about RMAH http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5594218404 *
    Here is the thing here in the USA diablo III is 60$US new on the back of the case it says.

*Trade the spoils of war. Use the real money auction house to buy and sell items for real world currency. Then draw on your earnings to buy ever more powerful items or cash out your trades, take the money, and run. the choice is yours.*

in other words saying you can use the RMAH ok the game comes out and it isn't there no problem i can accpt that i don't accpt they want another 6-10$ out of me for a authenticator. no where on the box dose it state i need a authenticator to use the RMAH but yet it says i can use the RMAH on the case.
    i personally feel that since i have payed 60$ for d3 i should have eather.

A) had a Authenticator in the box at the time i payed for it.
    Or
    B) they give one to people who have bought d3.
    by posting on the box there is a feature you can use then saying later *but now you need to do this first* i feel that is fause advertisement and there just asking for people to get mad about it and even less play d3 or at lease use the rmah.
    Now don't get me wrong i agree with why the RMAH need's it but after i done gave them 60$+tax for d3 i shouldn't have to give another 6$-10$+cost of using the card to get it. for a feature it says i can use on the box.
    before people post *you can use a android or iphone/smart phone* not everyone has one or a credit/debit card for that matter.

so what is everyone's take on this i think they should stick to the original idea of if your account has been hacked then yes you need one if not then no you don't.

Edit: also lets not forget the 15% they get from us for selling items in the RMAH.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2012-06-10 at 02:08 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Get an authenticator for free for you ipod or iphone or droid phone... There are hackers all over the place drooling to get D3 accounts because they can easily get your money, you should be happy that they are taking the steps so it doesn't happen to you.

Asus Prime x299 | Intel i7-7800x | Corsair H110i cpu watercooler | MSI Sea Hawk gtx 1080 | 16gb DDR4 3000hz GSkill RGB | Samsung 960 evo 250gb M.2 + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD | Corsair AX760 | Corsair Crystal series 570x case | Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit | Acer 23 inch monitor 1920x1080 + LG 23inch 1920x1080 + Asus 144hz 1920x1080|

or C) Acknowledge that majority of the population these days has either A) Apple Iphone or B) Android Phone on which they can download it for free....

Just because your account hasn't been hacked now doesn't mean it won't in the future, and if you want to risk having real money tired to something that could get hacked... well i guess that is up to you, however Blizzard is trying to save themselves having to deal with people who take the risk then blame Blizzard.

15+ Year Old Account
    It'd be a huge hassle for Blizzard and a legal mess if people's accounts started getting hacked with a money balance. Considering not having an authenticator makes you incredibly prone to being hacked (the hackers themselves admitted that they easily planted keyloggers on fan sites), it's a reasonable decision on their part. They were originally going to let people without authenticators use the account, but the mass hackings probably made them think twice.

Quote Originally Posted by sphexs View Post
    or C) Acknowledge that majority of the population these days has either A) Apple Iphone or B) Android Phone on which they can download it for free....
    please show link showing that the majority of the pop has those. and not over look my whole post by reading one line of it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

15+ Year Old Account
    I agree with their move to add an authenticator requirement.

I do agree that arrangements should be made however for free (or reduced cost) authenticators due to the fact it was advertised as a feature of the game without the stipulation.

The waiting for it to launch part is fine, IMO. It's a slippery slope, you have to understand that they did not intend for this to happen like this, but it's a matter of a changing climate (account safety climate) that calls for such actions.

They want people to be safe, can't blame them for that.

Even if it's no fault of their own, you have to consider how BIG of a problem it'd be for Blizzard if hackings continue to happen, but with real money balances. It'd be hell to recover and get things back in order.

Perhaps they rather take the hit on authenticators than anything else.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Quote Originally Posted by Krekko View Post
    I agree with their move to add an authenticator requirement.

I do agree that arrangements should be made however for free (or reduced cost) authenticators due to the fact it was advertised as a feature of the game without the stipulation.

The waiting for it to launch part is fine, IMO. It's a slippery slope, you have to understand that they did not intend for this to happen like this, but it's a matter of a changing climate (account safety climate) that calls for such actions.

They want people to be safe, can't blame them for that.
    true but they could have added one with each buy of d3 since im already paying 60$ for the game. hell even make d3 65$ just to make up for it.

I agree with OP. I have an android tablet that my authenticator is on but I'm not one of those "hey its free on this thing I have, why don't you just get a $400 device so you can get it free". That's just tools being tools. I think that the authenticator is needed but they should have stated it before. and for everyone who wants one, they should be able to put in a request for a free one.

10+ Year Old Account
    i could give two shits about the rmah. im glad its been delayed. i kinda hope that it never sees the light of day.

Quote Originally Posted by Inos View Post
    I agree with OP. I have an android tablet that my authenticator is on but I'm not one of those "hey its free on this thing I have, why don't you just get a $400 device so you can get it free". That's just tools being tools. I think that the authenticator is needed but they should have stated it before. and for everyone who wants one, they should be able to put in a request for a free one.
    ya d3 came out at 60$ a pc game and cost 10$ more then most if they wanted they could have added one in each case and even charge a extra 5$ but they didn't

10+ Year Old Account
    To play Diablo 3, you need a computer.

You can get an authenticator with your computer for free.

/thread

I'd be upset if Blizzard made a profit off Auths.

But they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggowaffles View Post
    I'd be upset if Blizzard made a profit off Auths.

But they don't.
    ok they could have added it with d3. d3 cost 10$ more then most pc games so with that said they could have charged 5$ more added it in the case even if its a just in case we need it or hell just to make shit safer for people who play there other games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't really matter what the majority of the population has, if he doesn't have one then he has to pay for an authenticator to use for the RMAH. That being said, you still don't have a case. I am sure something in the Terms of Service/etc. will negate your opinion.

Also, coming from someone who has a minor problem compared to the rest of the world, but the problem is major for me (I can't get internet past 3mbps, I would have to move to do so, and the problem in the rest of the world's eyes are small, but for me its a big problem) I feel for ya. You are forced to pay for something you were SURE was going to be free to use, or you will have to go out of your way and normal routine to be able to use the service (getting an iphone/droid phone for the mobile authenticator).

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    ya d3 came out at 60$ a pc game and cost 10$ more then most if they wanted they could have added one in each case and even charge a extra 5$ but they didn't
    Yeah even then. when my friends had to buy one after their WoW accounts were hacked i couldn't help but just feel like they were being forced into spending more money than they were originally told they had to.
    Last edited by Inos; 2012-06-10 at 02:07 AM.

In June 2008, Blizzard announced the Blizzard Authenticator, available as a hardware security token or mobile application

That is four years ago to the month that you have had to get a six dollar (or free) authenticator. Yes, that seems like false advertising but they are doing it for your own good.

Buy the goddamn authenticator already or quit playing. It's that simple.

ok they could have added it with d3. d3 cost 10$ more then most pc games so with that said they could have charged 5$ more added it in the case even if its a just in case we need it or hell just to make shit safer for people who play there other games.
    Or you could just buy it standalone.

Yeah even then. That stupid little piece of plastic can't cost them more than 50 cents to produce
    You pay for shipping, not the item.

Stop being so dense.

Quote Originally Posted by Trogdora View Post
    Doesn't really matter what the majority of the population has, if he doesn't have one then he has to pay for an authenticator to use for the RMAH. That being said, you still don't have a case. I am sure something in the Terms of Service/etc. will negate your opinion.

Also, coming from someone who has a minor problem compared to the rest of the world, but the problem is major for me (I can't get internet past 3mbps, I would have to move to do so, and the problem in the rest of the world's eyes are small, but for me its a big problem) I feel for ya. You are forced to pay for something you were SURE was going to be free to use, or you will have to go out of your way and normal routine to be able to use the service (getting an iphone/droid phone for the mobile authenticator).
    tyvm happy some people do see it the way i do and *not saying i would do it* but here in the us in most states it is 100% breaking the law to fause advertise wouldn't be surprised if people tryed to take them to court to eather get one or at lease refund there money for d3

please show link showing that the majority of the pop has those. and not over look my whole post by reading one line of it.
    Regardless of a link did you miss the point that it is a free download for any iPod, iPad, android device, tablet computers, or even new kindles. Blizz is trying to protect your account which in turn protects their assets. So if you have any of those devices it's free and if you are in the minority of not having smartphone technologies then spend $5 on an authenticator.