Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I came for the game, but had to stay for the awesome community.

Quote Originally Posted by Oogzy View Post
    It's easier than Dota or HoN. There's no denies. You don't lose anything when you die. That's mostly why people like it more than the others. I don't like what it's become ever since Riot was bought by Tencent Holdings. Ever since then it's gone downhill.
    In what way? I really can't see the negative impact you speak of^^
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

Zephire, i played in the period when they were bought over.

In short, the chamions released got LESS unique, they started relesing only 6.3 champs, they kinda became money-whoring. That's at least how I felt.

Also, no freaking replays whatsoever,for quite some time now been promised. not sure if its got anything to do iwth tencent holdings tho

I played from the start, though haven't reflected over the 6.3k and that it could've had with Tencent to do^^ Well, the more champs you make the harder it will be to keep them unique every time. They create some "more" unique champs from time to time, Draven being one with his "throw and catch" ability, pretty nice. The champion amount is 99 now, and it is all limited to there engine. I am rather suprised with the variation they deliver.

Replays is just around the corner, I assure you. But you must admit that the "Spectate" mode were stunning and surprisingly good. So the replay thing shouldn't be that hard or slow to create in my opinion^^
    Last edited by Zephire; 2012-06-13 at 02:32 PM.
    Well met!
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

I think LoL engine actualy have lot's of flexibility. I havent folowed LoL at ALL during last 6 months, but when i quit it felt all new heroes had a disable/slow of some kind, skillshot nuke and a dash ability. mightve been 2 bad months. I think dota heroes are better in uniquity and design. Still, nothing beats Sona. <3

Well, generally speaking a champion should have atleast one CC/Escape/utility ability to be fun and intresting, else it'll just be so simple and stright forward in my opinion. I think Riot thinks somewhat along that line hence you see alot of different types off dash/charge, but it is the combination with the other abilitys which makes them unique.

Mind me, I've not played DotA2 at all, and I'm not interested so can't compare anything
    Well met!

Quote Originally Posted by Zephire View Post
    Replays is just around the corner, I assure you. But you must admit that the "Spectate" mode were stunning and surprisingly good. So the replay thing shouldn't be that hard or slow to create in my opinion^^
    You can do replays in spectator mode, so there is that.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Yes, the spectator mode took the best things from specmode of Dota2 and HoN and fused them all together. Maybe nothing inovative, but solid well done work. And, i'm afraid i disagree with the idea of having similiar skillset making chamions fun. heck i loved sona, she doesnt have any skillshot nukes or dashes/evasion skills. Same in dota, the heroes each feel unique with completly diferent skillsets.

Deleted
    cos swifty plays it and all his cock sucking fanboys play it too cos there noses are atatched to his ass

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Sure.

Many elements of DotA were dumbed down or otherwise simplified for LoL - either they were removed entirely (denies) or were made easier/simpler (lack of gold loss on deaths, towers basically being untouchable for 10+ minutes) in order to make the game accessible to newbies, which is something DotA pretty well sucks at.

But by doing that, they're simplifying the gameplay, which means team strategies and tactical decisions are simpler, and therefore less interesting. Many of the most important, and interesting parts of what make DotA so good, are seemingly minor things - again, denies, being able to stack creep camps, limited amounts of wards and dust/smoke, things like that.

Again: you can basically ignore the first 15-20 minutes of a LoL game and you really wouldn't have missed much. By comparison, DotA is aggressive, varied, and interesting right out of the gate. I mean, look at that first game I posted - within the first two and a half minutes of the game, two fantastic denies were made by a team, purely possible because of communication and the way DotA works. You don't get that kind of stuff in LoL. You can't get that kind of stuff in LoL.
    I think you judge lol a little too harshly, and haven't watched enough tournament play. Towers usually don't go down before the 10 minute mark, not because they're untouchable, but because in a tournament game you use your opponent's tower to deny. I've also seen many tournament games where there's level 1 teamfights that result in an ace, 15 minute Barons, 12 minute inhib pushes, 4 man ganks at level 2. If anything the early game is still too important in lol, as tournament games are usually decided within the first few minutes.

That's why I like TSM so much though. They play very aggressively. Last time they went up against CLG.EU they invaded at level 1, stole blue, and then stole the next 6 blues in a row. They also pick comps that are very good for ganking and diving so they can go aggressive more often. It's very common for them to pick Ashe and Noc so they can 3 man gank, (4 man if Regi grabbed Karthus) every time their ults are up. They also like Kayle for the tower diving potential.

---------- Post added 2012-06-13 at 03:42 PM ----------

LoL is for people with short attention spans. Like you said, the game's over in 20 minutes - that's why I said you could afk for 20 minutes and miss nothing. LoL is a bad competitive game because there's no real competition within it - one team gets and advantage and they've won five minutes in, regardless if it takes them 15 more minutes to finish it.

I've seen teams with a 10k+ gold deficit or 20k+ XP deficit come back and win in DotA. Radiant can be down 15-5 at 20 minutes and still come back and win the game forty minutes later.
    Also seen lol games where someone is down 12k+ gold and come back to win. Hour long matches are pretty awesome. So, first you say lol isn't aggressive enough, then you say it sucks because it ends too early, because early aggression is so powerful. Does not compute. Neither of those are an absolute though, it depends on the game and how the teams choose to play. In fact, at the MLG that happened just a few days ago, in the finals CLG.NA came back and took a game off TSM when they were over 12k gold behind.

---------- Post added 2012-06-13 at 03:49 PM ----------

Self-respect.
    This just makes me rofl. I'd LOVE to see you lane against Regi, or Froggen, or Wickd, or Dyrus, or jungle against Saint.

Die all the time! Lose all day! Never win!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    This just makes me rofl. I'd LOVE to see you lane against Regi, or Froggen, or Wickd, or Dyrus, or jungle against Saint.

Die all the time! Lose all day! Never win!
    I'm not a professional player, though. I don't play LoL for a living, I work for a living.

Stack any of those guys up against, say, Dendi or Puppey and watch them curbstomped all game.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

I'm not a professional player, though. I don't play LoL for a living, I work for a living.

Stack any of those guys up against, say, Dendi or Puppey and watch them curbstomped all game.
    You don't know that for sure. Just because they play LoL doesn't mean they would lose to Dota pros. A lot of the top LoL players used to play HoN and Dota at a very high level, and if anything they've gotten better since they started playing due to their strict practice times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    You don't know that for sure. Just because they play LoL doesn't mean they would lose to Dota pros. A lot of the top LoL players used to play HoN and Dota at a very high level, and if anything they've gotten better since they started playing due to their strict practice times.
    Again, it's like comparing checkers to chess. Yeah, there's very good checkers players, and they'd probably be pretty decent at chess, too. But you're comparing a professional checkers player to a professional chess player - checkers is a simpler game with fewer places for innovation, they're going to be limited by that experience when playing chess. Hell, it could work both ways - maybe the chess player would be stymied that he can't use his pieces in the way he's used to due to the simplification present in checkers.

But I guarantee you anyone from Na'Vi would pretty much crap on any of those Team Solomid clowns.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

Again, it's like comparing checkers to chess. Yeah, there's very good checkers players, and they'd probably be pretty decent at chess, too. But you're comparing a professional checkers player to a professional chess player - checkers is a simpler game with fewer places for innovation, they're going to be limited by that experience when playing chess. Hell, it could work both ways - maybe the chess player would be stymied that he can't use his pieces in the way he's used to due to the simplification present in checkers.

But I guarantee you anyone from Na'Vi would pretty much crap on any of those Team Solomid clowns.
    Na'Vi has a LoL team, and TSM has beaten them easily before, are those not the same players?

Either way, I don't doubt that any LoL pro wouldn't be able to beat a top Dota pro at Dota. But I also doubt that any Dota pro could beat a top LoL pro at LoL. So it goes both ways on that. And there's no need to throw out insults just because you don't like a team.

Stop the gamebashing dammit! This thread were and are about how LoL made it this big! Stick to it or make a new thread.

LoL made a success because it is so newbie-friendly. The ammount of bad to okay players are huge and this means a huge crowd which in turn makes it profitable enough to put such an effort in tournaments and community-related PR. DotA might have more "skill" machanics (honestly don't know and won't argue about it, just what I hear) but it have a price aswell. You must have a crowd in order to be a "sport/e-sport" sport.
    Well met!

a F2P model that managed to not turn into Pay to Win like just about every other F2P game does.

sure it takes longer to get a champ with IP, and you can only get skins with RP, but there is nothing that affects the game that you NEED to pay real money for.

and they have amazing customer service. maintenance goes a bit long? servers lagging a bit? lets just give everyone a 10 win IP bonus or FREE 500 RP.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mionelol View Post
    this x3946566, aside from their tribunal customer service, which honestly, is lacking. otherwise, it has to be the best customer service i've ever experienced in any online game. they have policies which they apply most of the time, but they're able to get out of their way to adapt to specific situations in particular cases and this is <3. they also give you tons of bonuses, they have the loss forgiven system, etc, it just rocks on this domain.
    I've been a fan of the fact that they're willing to give people free stuff for producing interesting or funny content like comics and fan-art.

Also, before I stopped playing, they actually made a skin for the Fiddlesticks hero that was pretty much a direct copy of what a fan came up with, Surprise Party Fiddlesticks. Didn't they also make that skin free for everyone?

Can you imagine Blizzard doing that? I sure as hell can't.

think I'll just leave this here to settle this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85BNnwnX-ZM

Ciderhelm's LoL vs. HoN

It's a bit dated but still relevant
    Last edited by LordDios; 2012-06-14 at 12:54 PM.

If comebacks doesnt happen then the game is too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by LordDios View Post
    think I'll just leave this here to settle this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85BNnwnX-ZM

Ciderhelm's LoL vs. HoN

It's a bit dated but still relevant
    LOL @ Cider having Ezreal as a female champion. HAHAAHA.