Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Immortal Bombkirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA - Boston, MA
    Posts
    6,995
    I like PLAYING support characters, but I despise the gold/ward part of it. Its so dull. Avoiding Killing Blows. Being low on gold due to hoarding wards. Being under-built/under leveled is frustrating though. I wish they could just join into any old team fight and not be yelled at for getting a kill.

  2. #42
    Dreadlord Niku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    スウェーデン
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    To each their own. Clearly, we're not going to be able to convince you to play traditional support.
    A traditional support will typically have the least gold on their team, relying on GP5 items and quints to get cash. The trick is to support with champions that have the utility to not need the damage or survivability of massive items like other champions--- get get your core few, and then ward. Because warding wins games.

    Personally, I love support-- I play it almost exclusively. I find it very low-stress and enjoyable. I don't have to worry about last-hitting, I know I can do my job, and do it well, and I know I'm not capable of carrying a game if my team fails. It means, even if I lose a game, as long as I performed well, I can come away happy with the outcome. So what if my carry sucked balls? If I did everything I could and he didn't follow through, that's not my fault. If I warded tribush and river, and we saw the gank incoming, and he didn't leave even though I pinged it and gave him my speed boost on Sona? Not my fault, I did my job perfectly.

    Playing support keeps me from getting frustrated at the game and at losses, it is by far my favorite role, and I've been told by many carries that I'm quite good at it.

    It is usually a pretty thankless job, though, and it's not for everyone. A lot of people don't enjoy it, but that doesn't mean that it's a terrible role or objectively not fun.
    This thread wasn't meant to convince me, although It kinda has...
    Last edited by Niku; 2012-06-11 at 06:33 PM.
    "The world is filled with lies! Thou shalt not kill. Thou shalt not steal. Thou shalt not bear false witness. Thou shalt not commit adultary. These are all lies, deceptions. I don't want to be killed. I don't want to be victim of theft. That is why they use lies like justice and moral to protect their weak selves. The original truth is the survival of the fittest. One must devour it all, wether it be other humans, wealth, power or the world itself! All hail Britannia!" - Charles vi Britannia

  3. #43
    Moderator Axethor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Elchea Library
    Posts
    3,459
    I agree with Daetur that it is very relaxing to play support. I can get blamed for something, and instead of raging I just kinda laugh at the person because it's not my fault, it's the carries for not taking the multitude of opportunities I provide. During a game, no matter how bad my team mates are I don't rage because I know there is nothing I can do. I might complain after the game, but during the game it's quite a nice experience. Unless I'm playing Soraka. Fuck that champ.

    Axethor - level 90 UH/Blood DK
    Raelof - level 90 BM Hunter

    Steam | Twitter

    LoL Forum Mod | General Forum FAQ

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Niku View Post
    So, do you guys enjoy playing the support role? And if you get mad at people who don't pick support, then why don't you pick support?
    I greatly enjoy playing support. Sona and Leona in particular.

    Don't really get angry at others- because I don't PUG PVP games. XD

  5. #45
    While I do not like playing support, I like playing support chars in mid lane.

  6. #46
    I am Murloc! Thallidomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    5,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollspwn View Post
    While I do not like playing support, I like playing support chars in mid lane.
    As in the assault supports like Lux/Morgana/Karma? Or the traditional ones like Soraka/Janna/Sona?
    Last edited by Thallidomaniac; 2012-06-11 at 09:28 PM.

    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

  7. #47
    Support can be a completly new and fun gamestyle which is great to play especially with friends, So yea i do enjoy it wish there were more support tbh.

  8. #48
    just recently started to play LoL gotta say i love janna

  9. #49
    Yesterday I've been owned (me sona and my ad EZ) in ranked by an AD LEONA who was supposed to support...my question is, how can u know the opposite support is going for so much dmg before u get owned?

  10. #50
    Try Janna who, imo, is the best support in the game. 3 CC's, a shield, an increase in AD and is pretty much impossible to kill. She's an amazing initiator with her Q, if the Q hits and your carry goes in, her Zephyr is a ridiculous slow and if you take flash/exhaust, there's nothing like flashing behind the opposing carry/support and ulting them into your turret. When they flash out, just hit with a tornado and watch your carry blow them up.

    ---------- Post added 2012-06-12 at 08:46 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by bennyrosso View Post
    Yesterday I've been owned (me sona and my ad EZ) in ranked by an AD LEONA who was supposed to support...my question is, how can u know the opposite support is going for so much dmg before u get owned?
    Look at their runes/items as they level up. If you see her have a ton of damage or she stars building damage, probably realize it then.

  11. #51
    I love support. After playing exclusively jungle and only being able to get myself to around 1550 ELO, I started over and played support.

    After losing a ton of ELO and figuring out which champions I liked best I found support is easily my favorite role.

    In particular I like Leona/Naut/Blitz/Alistair as support, active tanky champions with strong engage.

    I run defensive runes (Armor Red/Armor Yellow/MR-Lvl Blues/ Gold Per 10 Quints) and usually 1/21/8 or 0/21/9 masteries.

    If I know I'm playing with a good AD carry, I start with cloth armor/pots/ward and go super aggressive @ 3 with about 60-70 armor, and most AD carries panic and focus you.

    The amount you can change a game with a good blitz pull, a leona snare/ult, or Naut engage is incredible. It forces the AD carry to blow cleanse early, or to rush a team fight when they aren't prepared. If you think support does nothing, you aren't playing it correctly. Go for Philo/HoG/Aegis/Wards on any of the above champions and become a brick shithouse that disrupts their entire team.

    TL;DR : Find a friend who is good @ Corki or Graves, then play Leona or Blitz support and watch the kill lane go to work.

    Except for soraka- don't play her because fuck healing.

  12. #52
    I play support almost exclusively in both organized 5 v 5 and ranked duoQ.

    To quote Xpecial: "It's easy to be a good support, its very hard to be the better support."

    Counter-warding, denying enemy farm, protecting your carry, etc...it all ties into the success of your team. I pride myself on knowing how strong my support game is. Your support is almost equally important as any carry position in higher ELO play, as you are a huge part of winning bottom lane.

    I've started to play a bit more Leona these days as my AD carry buddy is stuck on Corki...however I still prefer Jana and Sona now that Kog/Nunu isn't quite as strong. Sona's ult is so insane for team fights and Jana's CC package is too strong. We typically 1st pick Jana every premade 5 v 5.

    I can't help but laugh at the people that find it boring. They clearly have no clue.

    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    "Elo Hell is where the Ego is greater than the Elo." -Bystekhilcar

  13. #53
    I am Murloc! Grading's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sweeping dust at Myouren Temple
    Posts
    5,325
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post
    I can't help but laugh at the people that find it boring. They clearly have no clue.
    Remember that this is a preference thing, not a "support is useless lol"-thing. Many people acknowledge that supports are really great, but still find them boring to play.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiftero View Post
    Remember that this is a preference thing, not a "support is useless lol"-thing. Many people acknowledge that supports are really great, but still find them boring to play.
    Alright, let me re-phrase for you.

    If you find support to be "boring," you're doing it wrong.

    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    "Elo Hell is where the Ego is greater than the Elo." -Bystekhilcar

  15. #55
    I can play whatever other than Soraka.
    God she's so boring :/
    l'alurl gol zhah elghinyrr gol.

  16. #56
    Mechagnome akts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    If you value your life, be somewhere else
    Posts
    696
    I can't take seriously anyone who claims that supports are useless and/or boring. If that was true, no pro team would take supports.
    I consider duo lanes to be the most interesting during lane phase, since player interactions are more complex than in solo lanes, so yes, I love support and AD roles.
    However I can understand people who don't like supporting in solo q, since they have no confidence in their lane partner, but honestly, they have neither confidence in the rest of their team.
    In Soviet Russia banks rob you! Oh, wait a second...

  17. #57
    Dreadlord Niku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    スウェーデン
    Posts
    911
    I'm claiming that I find support boring, not useless. If you disagree, then your opinion isn't fact, it's just an opinion.

    Now go on a journey and drink your own piss.
    "The world is filled with lies! Thou shalt not kill. Thou shalt not steal. Thou shalt not bear false witness. Thou shalt not commit adultary. These are all lies, deceptions. I don't want to be killed. I don't want to be victim of theft. That is why they use lies like justice and moral to protect their weak selves. The original truth is the survival of the fittest. One must devour it all, wether it be other humans, wealth, power or the world itself! All hail Britannia!" - Charles vi Britannia

  18. #58
    Mechagnome akts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    If you value your life, be somewhere else
    Posts
    696
    Tell me again how you excelled support role so well that it started bore you.
    Oh you are such a nice person.
    In Soviet Russia banks rob you! Oh, wait a second...

  19. #59
    Moderator Isrozzis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The land of too much heat
    Posts
    3,192
    If i'm on skype with my AD. Otherwise no. Though usually my brother plays support as his support is vastly superior to mine, and my ranged AD is a lot better than his.

    If I do get stuck on support though, I play leona.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    To each their own. Clearly, we're not going to be able to convince you to play traditional support.
    A traditional support will typically have the least gold on their team, relying on GP5 items and quints to get cash. The trick is to support with champions that have the utility to not need the damage or survivability of massive items like other champions--- get get your core few, and then ward. Because warding wins games.

    Personally, I love support-- I play it almost exclusively. I find it very low-stress and enjoyable. I don't have to worry about last-hitting, I know I can do my job, and do it well, and I know I'm not capable of carrying a game if my team fails. It means, even if I lose a game, as long as I performed well, I can come away happy with the outcome. So what if my carry sucked balls? If I did everything I could and he didn't follow through, that's not my fault. If I warded tribush and river, and we saw the gank incoming, and he didn't leave even though I pinged it and gave him my speed boost on Sona? Not my fault, I did my job perfectly.

    Playing support keeps me from getting frustrated at the game and at losses, it is by far my favorite role, and I've been told by many carries that I'm quite good at it.

    It is usually a pretty thankless job, though, and it's not for everyone. A lot of people don't enjoy it, but that doesn't mean that it's a terrible role or objectively not fun.
    I'm going to have to thank you as I just had some wonderful games as a support playing with this principle. Hadn't played support for a long long time either so it was also very refreshing. Minimal rage, maximum pleasure. Won all games.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •