Need Help with a new computer mine is one foot in the scrapyard.

Hey guys so my computer is dying and im looking to build my next computer and not go the dell route again (big mistake). now my issue is im not a very good computer guy idk whats good whats bad what people say is good and is really shit, i can play the hell out of a computer but dont ask me to build one. what im here for is to get some help on a computer setup. now i saw the mmo post for junes setup of the month and i like the narwhal one and if it does what im about to ask you guys i might as well go with that.

first let me tell you guys the games i play so you have an idea of what my computer needs to run em all smooth.
    Diablo 3, World of warcraft (MoP), Guild wars 2 when it releases, league of legends, and probably starcraft soon enough.

id like to run them all on ultra setting and run around in a good FPS (45-60 is more than enough for me).

although the narwhal is about 100-150 over my price range i wouldnt mind shelling out the extra bucks if you guys think its a great setup for what i need and what its priced at.

finally whats a good moniter to go with this one? looking for one in the 200-250 range.

also if you guys think you have a better setup or some to mix and match that makes this cheaper and run just as good or a tiny bit less then let me know im open to every suggestion!

take care guys and thanks ahead of time!

Well for the rig it self you can look here http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Sample-Builds
    And if you dont feel safe building it your self you can prob ask some one to put it together for you.

Maybe a friend or family member the guys running computer repair stores can prob put i together for you for a small fee.
    As for a monitor any 20"+ 1920 x 1080 monitor will do just fine i'm personally running 2x Acer G245H monitors never had any real problems with them.
    Other then when i got them the brightness setting where way to high but that where easily changed.

how does this computer look? i took a peek at alienwares site to see their desktops and this one doesnt seem all that bad.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...re-x51&ref=btn

Quote Originally Posted by terrih91 View Post
    how does this computer look? i took a peek at alienwares site to see their desktops and this one doesnt seem all that bad.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...re-x51&ref=btn
    Its a dell dont buy a computer from dell ever
    and spec vise its a i3 so its only dual core
    the ram is fine
    i havent heard about the GFX Card name witch prob means its pretty low end
    made for home theater pc's and such and not for gaming

look in to the Budget Gaming 650 or the Gaming 800 build and get some one to put it together for you
    you will get best bang for your buck that way you could go for alienware ( even tho its dell ) or ibuypower
    But that will 90% of the time mean you will pay for more then you get.
    But you also get it built for you and warranty on the computer.

If you dont wanna build it yourself , get a computer store to build it for you, w/e you dont buy a pre-build one from some brand like dell or acer, they are either overpriced, or just plain crap, ussualy both.

Nothing is wrong with dell whatsoever, companies do not get that big by selling complete and utter garbage im sorry and its just flaming to say derogatory things about them just because it is not your preferred method.

p.s Builds of the month can be slimmed down etc to your price range and are tip top performers within the price area.

OP, building your first computer can be scary, but I'll be honest, a monkey with a screwdriver can do it. There is a wealth of information on sites like newegg with step by step walk throughs on building a computer. Every piece can only fit one spot, the motherboard guide will have a bunch of information, will show you where everything goes, it is actually fun to build it.

Do you have a Microcenter near you? Go to http://www.microcenter.com/ and look around, figure it out. If you do it will be about $100 cheaper. I'm assuming you need an operating system.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($267.55 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: Corsair 550W ATX12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS224-06 DVD/CD Writer ($20.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Monitor: Asus VW246H 24.0" Monitor ($189.99 @ Amazon)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1203.46
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-06-11 14:18 EDT-0400)

This is about $1000 without the monitor. You didn't give a firm budget, but this should be near what you wanted. The graphics card can easily overclock to insane levels. You can save 30 bucks by not getting that CPU cooler, right away, I wouldn't overclock a 3570k without an aftermarket cooler though, you shouldn't have to overclock it at this point, its an amazing processor.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Nothing is wrong with dell whatsoever, companies do not get that big by selling complete and utter garbage im sorry and its just flaming to say derogatory things about them just because it is not your preferred method.
    You're right, they get that big by selling overpriced, utter garbage when building a computer was considered scary. If you are spending more than 600 dollars on a computer you should never buy a dell, their markup and oem products are ridiculous. Lately the only people that buy their products are older people who don't want to learn and the facebook gamer. Their computers have terrible airflow and are not made for gaming. They give you the cheapest power supply that will run your system, so if you upgrade your graphics card at a later date, you have to buy another PSU, +$100. Bottom line, don't get a dell, you will regret it when their entry level GPU in your 1200 dollar system can't run a game above medium
    Last edited by Obsession; 2012-06-11 at 06:29 PM.

And if you are still uneasy about building it, many electronics or computer hardware stores will build the computer for a fee (usually 50-80 dollars)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsession View Post
    OP, building your first computer can be scary, but I'll be honest, a monkey with a screwdriver and do it.
    I have to agree.

Anyway. Just avoid Alienware stuff... or really any prebuilt things like some other people said. Most of them are overpriced. See if a local shop or a friend can build it at little or no cost if you buy the stuff yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanto View Post
    I have to agree.
    That describes my typical partners in most FPS I guess. Also, you made me notice my spelling mistake

Didnt know brand bashing was so cool, considering the $1500 alienware desktop is about $300 to mayb $400 over what you would normally pay, and it features all the dell help crap and warranties etc price is well payed for someone who doesnt know or doesnt want to build themselves.

that 300-400 is the difference between upgrading your 7850 to a 680/7970 and adding an ssd.

so i just looked at my funding (parents) and my price range is 600-750 it seems. will i be able to find a computer in that range that can run guild wars and those needy games on decent settings like high (not ultra)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Didnt know brand bashing was so cool, considering the $1500 alienware desktop is about $300 to mayb $400 over what you would normally pay, and it features all the dell help crap and warranties etc price is well payed for someone who doesnt know or doesnt want to build themselves.
    So you're paying 1/3 the price to get someone at Dell building it for you?

I generally avoid brandbashing, but you're making it sound like it's a good thing when you throw $300-400 out of the window.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by terrih91 View Post
    so i just looked at my funding (parents) and my price range is 600-750 it seems. will i be able to find a computer in that range that can run guild wars and those needy games on decent settings like high (not ultra)
    If you decide to not get a monitor, yes, easily. If you do want a monitor it will be a little bit harder.

So, do you need a monitor? If not, what resolution are you using right now? Did you look to see if you have a microcenter near you? http://microcenter.com