Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mystic Forge - Information?

(sorry if a thread on this exists, didn't see any)

So...anyone?

I took a quick look at it before servers went down but couldn't really make heads or tails of it. Plus that vendor nearby selling that Orb of Power (purple quality) or whatever for 100 skill points seemed like it had to be a placeholder, haha...or dump for A LOT of unused skill points somehow. Did anyone experiment with the Forge, and if so, can shed some light on what it does/how it works? I noticed you can just throw in weapons (4?) but didn't have 4 on me at the time to see what happens. I assume they can get better possibly, combine stats, etc., but again, didn't have the time.

The only information I have (GW2 Wiki):
    Quote Originally Posted by GW2 Wiki
    The Mystic Forge is located in the center of Lion's Arch's Mystic Plaza, not far from Trader's Forum waypoint. This strange forge holds the imprisoned djinn Zommoros, who hails from distant Elona.
    If you offer the Mystic Forge four gifts (like unneeded items and weapons), you will receive a gift in return.

The Mystic Forge uses a combination of random and non-random recipes. For example, throw four rare swords into the forge, it will return a random sword with a chance for that sword to be substantially better. There are also specific items that can be created by throwing four very specific items into the forge with no randomness involved at all.
    Maybe possible things you've done with it or were told by your friends/others?
    Thanks!

Screenshots by others:
    Orb of Power
    Recipes

Deleted
    I tried the forge once, as I had a bunch of weapons laying around and I didn't have much time to play this BWE.

I think I put down two blue daggers, one mace and one sword. (One of these was white but I can't remember which) and I got a green axe out of the deal. It had better stats then the previous weapons I threw in there, and it made me some money in the Trading Post.
    I think it'll be a useful alternative to just salvaging, particularly while leveling as instead of simply destroying the weapons you might be able to get a better deal out of just combining them - and afaik combining 4 of the same item gives you a better item of the same type (so 4 daggers = 1 better dagger).

Quote Originally Posted by Kallanna View Post
    I tried the forge once, as I had a bunch of weapons laying around and I didn't have much time to play this BWE.

I think I put down two blue daggers, one mace and one sword. (One of these was white but I can't remember which) and I got a green axe out of the deal. It had better stats then the previous weapons I threw in there, and it made me some money in the Trading Post.
    I think it'll be a useful alternative to just salvaging, particularly while leveling as instead of simply destroying the weapons you might be able to get a better deal out of just combining them - and afaik combining 4 of the same item gives you a better item of the same type (so 4 daggers = 1 better dagger).
    Oh, interesting. Hmm...it seems odd they'd throw this in as well as crafting. Used in conjunction? Like...let's craft 4 Bronze Axes then throw them into the Mystic Forge? Or will one be a better option? Or more like for crafters who want good weapons, they'd become a weaponsmith and level it. Then as they venture out and get random weapons they kind of want but don't need, they save up and then combine in Mystic Forge with possible made weapons from weaponsmithing?

I'm more interested if anyone figured out any inner-workings involving it. ie. "I tested that by throwing in this, this, this, and this, I always got this." But I suppose people didn't play with it much, as most people (including myself) were busy with Gendarren Fields/Ascalaon Catacombs/PvP. Poor neglected Mystic Forge

Deleted
    I put four white weapons I could use into it and got one white weapon I couldnt. Couldnt stop laughing for a few minutes.

I got nothing useable or valuable out of it. Waste of items when salvaging was so much more profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Agile Emily View Post
    I put four white weapons I could use into it and got one white weapon I couldnt. Couldnt stop laughing for a few minutes.
    But was it better/higher level?

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I got nothing useable or valuable out of it. Waste of items when salvaging was so much more profitable.
    Did you put anything valuable into it?

I also wonder if rune effects it. Say you really want to preserve a rune but don't have access to a perfect salvage kit (funny it was bugged to never go away, or set that way on purpose). But because the rune is in the weapon or armor, you can Mystic Forge it into something better? IDK

Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    Did you put anything valuable into it?

I also wonder if rune effects it. Say you really want to preserve a rune but don't have access to a perfect salvage kit (funny it was bugged to never go away, or set that way on purpose). But because the rune is in the weapon or armor, you can Mystic Forge it into something better? IDK
    I think so. Green and blue items I could not use/didn't want. Some with crummy runes & stones for my build/class. Don't know what else would be considered "valuable". Pretty sure a masterwork greatsword & trident with rune of the krait and such is valuable were I not an Engie & Warrior primarily.

Forge just spit out crap gear not worth the sell price honestly. However, I did not use the cash shop thingy for the forge.

Deleted
    Oh woah, after looking at this thread I must have had one of these days in which the RNG just loves me!

I put in 4 masterwork items and got out a pretty sweet rare neck piece. Random is random, but i used it extensively and ended up getting 3 rare items out of it, two of which i couldn't use but can be sold to other players. I think the best way to use it would be to save masterwork items for the forge (you'll always get a masterwork back or better) and anything fine and below just salvage or vendor.

Maybe i was lucky, maybe the other people here disliking it were unlucky. It's not manditory but i know I'll be using it come release, its like a lottery, and you can win with some nice rares (either for yourself or to sell) or you can lose out on the salvaging mats you would have gotten.

The way it seems to work is you put in 4 items of the same quality, and get 1 item of the same quality or 1 better (unsure if it can be 2 better, if someone else had it happen you can let us know). You can decide for yourself if you like it or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only gripe I have with the forge is that it often gave me items I couldn't use. Leather masks and robes and a staff and such when I was a Warrior. The only useful thing I actually got I used was an Amulet. I'm not too upset the randomness, but I'd probably rather salvage any items that aren't common (white), that way I can put them to potential use other than a quick few silver in the Trading Post.

Speaking of which, I LOVE the Trading Post.

Quote Originally Posted by ara View Post
    I used up all of my gems on pets, and experimented with combining those. A lot of the time I ended up with a pet in the tier above the ones I put in (blue->green->gold). Also, you can apparently only combine pets of the same rarity.
    All my pets that I had (about 6 or more, I used Deposit Collectible on all of them) from BWE1 weren't in my bank, so I had no pets to play around with, and only 150 gems. The good news is gems are dirt cheap at the moment, with about 500 for 1 gold.
    Last edited by Sentinel; 2012-06-11 at 08:43 PM. Reason: revised wording - added quote

I used up all of my gems on pets, and experimented with combining those. A lot of the time I ended up with a pet in the tier above the ones I put in (blue->green->gold). Also, you can apparently only combine pets of the same rarity.

combining pets.... all i can think of is this http://www.explosm.net/comics/2822/ at any rate this mystic forge looks like it could be fun, cant wait to try it out at release.

I ended up vendoring/destroying so many weapons. I really wish I remembered the Mystic Forges existence while I was playing.
    "Haters give me balance, every Kyle's got a Cartman." -George Watsky

Using it for dyes you do not want would probably be a good way to make use of it. With weapons and armor it's a gamble, as they can just be salvaged.. but if you have 4 dyes that you know for sure you will not use, what else are you going to do with them? They're not tradable.. so if the choice is them sitting in your list or turning into another dye you may also not use, I'll take the latter for a chance that it ends up being one I WILL use.

This is all assuming dyes can be put in there, I did not try.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Using it for dyes you do not want would probably be a good way to make use of it. With weapons and armor it's a gamble, as they can just be salvaged.. but if you have 4 dyes that you know for sure you will not use, what else are you going to do with them? They're not tradable.. so if the choice is them sitting in your list or turning into another dye you may also not use, I'll take the latter for a chance that it ends up being one I WILL use.

This is all assuming dyes can be put in there, I did not try.
    I gave all my extra dyes to an alt, didn't even realize you could use them in the forge lol

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I gave all my extra dyes to an alt, didn't even realize you could use them in the forge lol
    I'm not even talking about just doubles.. but like, I'd likely never use "Wasabi" or "Apricot" dye on my gear.. regardless of character. May as well forge those and hope for the possibility of a black or scarlet. =P

I used all my gems hoping for black lol, the closest I got was 'walnut', it was really really dark brown, and pretty damn close to black.

I would have used all my pinks and purples in the forge if I knew I could have done that.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I used all my gems hoping for black lol, the closest I got was 'walnut', it was really really dark brown, and pretty damn close to black.
    Ebony was pretty freakin close to black. I thought it was a starter dye, since it was a common dye.. but I guess not.

I put all my mini's in, and of course, you could only put the same 4 quality(green,blue,yellow) and get a different mini of the same quality. Didn't think to try it with anything else though.

I played around with it a little bit. Toward the end, I dumped in a bunch of crafted items that had terrible modifiers which I had used to get discovery xp. There's a small chance to get a higher quality item. I think I got one green out of 3 or 4 dumps of blue items. Also, it seems if you dump in all armor, you get armor back. Likewise for weapons. However, I dumped all heavy armor and got medium back, so it doesn't guarantee the type. It also gives you a higher level item. When I dumped in four lvl 35 masterwork armor, I got a lvl 46 item back.

I'm curious if this could become a way to dispose of extra karma later on in the game. Buy a bunch of karma items and toss them in and hope for something better. You could also buy cheaper crafted materials and throw them in and hope for a good outcome that you can sell for a profit.