Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The Breached Keep - AKA the Wipefest of the Keep

SO yeah, after 5 days of constant struggling because of annoying soul ripper combinations, lags, random deaths and retarded group mates i have finally managed to kill Ghom today after a brief ( 2 hours long) wipefest through the cellars. It was horrible with all the elites being soul rippers and fast + waééer, but with some time synergy and well placed some screens finally helped us .
    So what do you think about this part of act III? Is it this bad or i had just so bad luck. If you have another places, which sucked a** then share it! (so i may avoid them :P)
    This is Inferno, just for clarification.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfarien View Post
    SO yeah, after 5 days of constant struggling because of annoying soul ripper combinations, lags, random deaths and retarded group mates i have finally managed to kill Ghom today after a brief ( 2 hours long) wipefest through the cellars. It was horrible with all the elites being soul rippers and fast + waééer, but with some time synergy and well placed some screens finally helped us .
    So what do you think about this part of act III? Is it this bad or i had just so bad luck. If you have another places, which sucked a** then share it! (so i may avoid them :P)
    This is Inferno, just for clarification.
    The keep is just the start of the struggles imo. My group and I just went through Act III Hell and I noticed a huge jump in difficulty in the Arreat Crater zones. (Basically everything after Ghom leading up to Asmodan)

I didn't run into any serious problems until descending down to Azmodan... I hit a brick wall upon entering the Heart of Sin (I think that's what its called) with a ton of mobs/champs right at the spawn point. I reset but apparently there isn't a checkpoint at the entrance there so it started me back at the beginning of level 2 of w/e its called... Ran in to a bunch of crap elite combos of soul rippers and the big ass teleport guys with axes, so I gave up after a few resets. Going back tonight and not stopping until Azmodan is down!

I quite liked the keep TBH... tons of circular layouts for easy kiting and natural funneling for my hydras/blizzard. Plus I could use my hydras to scout ahead and clear rooms behind closed doors .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizendragon View Post
    The keep is just the start of the struggles imo. My group and I just went through Act III Hell and I noticed a huge jump in difficulty in the Arreat Crater zones. (Basically everything after Ghom leading up to Asmodan)
    Because that battlefield is nothing but mobs with plague, and crap that runs away. It's annoying to no end.

Deleted
    I am another one not bringing you great news, stuff after Ghom is about twice as hard... When I transitioned from A2 to A3 I thought that I am doing fairly OK, then I fought Ghom who is kinda nasty for melee, I only faced him with some dmg reduction up. Well then I killed him, got outside of the gates and just started crying . Then I headed to the AH.

This was the part of act3 I thought was easy, I really hated the bridge towards siegebreaker, because I'm so weak against those speardudes

Meh, I hated the keep, but found Ghom->Siegebreaker was fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude, the keep is awesome! Im farming it atleast once a day just out of sheer joy.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Everything after the keep in Hell and Inferno is miles tougher then the stuff before it.

The keep can be grueling with bad combinations (soul lashers mainly). Ghom-->Siegebreaker is a clusterbunch of mobs, with constant ambushes of fliers everywhere. For a ranged once you kill Siegebreaker and start descending it really isn't that bad. Cydaea/Azmodan runs take ~an hour for me, and are usually 7-11 champ groups on the way (sometimes a floor will have 4 groups, sometimes none, but I have yet to reach Cydaea without 5 stacks thus far).

Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    I am another one not bringing you great news, stuff after Ghom is about twice as hard... When I transitioned from A2 to A3 I thought that I am doing fairly OK, then I fought Ghom who is kinda nasty for melee, I only faced him with some dmg reduction up. Well then I killed him, got outside of the gates and just started crying . Then I headed to the AH.
    I just beat Ghom as a solo Monk. Fight lasted 36 minutes....not even joking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychomantis View Post
    I just beat Ghom as a solo Monk. Fight lasted 36 minutes....not even joking.
    I also did it as a monk took me about 12 minutes... go enchantress go! NOOO Y U stand in in gas and die?!?!?!?!?

All of Act 3 took me a combined time of about 10-12 hours. Spending 2 hours in the keep doesn't seem too bad. What you do is you get a decent tank class with 300-400 resistance (easily doable for under 250k) and a bunch of glass cannons (I usually went 3 demon hunters). Its slow, and a huge wipefest but you make steady progress.

Deleted
    I actually had an easier time in the keep than in all the rest of Act 3. Soul Rippers were the only major issue but I was able to skip 2/3 of those packs and killed the occasional one, I only had to reset once. That mob type is just ridiculous.

Other than that I found the areas and mob types to be easily doable for a Bliz/Hydra Wizard but I suppose other characters might feel differently.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    All of Act 3 took me a combined time of about 10-12 hours. Spending 2 hours in the keep doesn't seem too bad. What you do is you get a decent tank class with 300-400 resistance (easily doable for under 250k) and a bunch of glass cannons (I usually went 3 demon hunters). Its slow, and a huge wipefest but you make steady progress.
    What kind of tank are you thinking of that can survive in Act 3 with 350 resist? Unless you're approaching or passing the 1k mark I feel like any monk or barb will get annihilated by white mobs, let alone elites.

Deleted
    Solo on my Witch Doctor it was the hardest part of the game for me, farming further in act3/4 was easymode compared to the joke that is Soul Rippers with bad affixes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
    What kind of tank are you thinking of that can survive in Act 3 with 350 resist? Unless you're approaching or passing the 1k mark I feel like any monk or barb will get annihilated by white mobs, let alone elites.
    Yeah I wanna know this as well. First time I set foot in act III on my Monk I had 800+ res all and I got totally annihilated. Sure I survived the white mobs okayish cause of fists of thunder but the first boss pack destroyed me. So I'm very interested to know what melee class can survive with 350.

Quote Originally Posted by Babaganouch View Post
    Dude, the keep is awesome! Im farming it atleast once a day just out of sheer joy.
    Was about to say the same! The Keep (all levels) is my favourite farming place together with the bridge. Running it like 10 times a day! Consequently: It is safe to say that it isn't getting easier throughout the act.

It is interesting to see so many different opinions guys As i mentioned the keep as DH was horrible. Interestingly enough i facerolled the fields and the bridge without any problems. It seems different luck yields different ends.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Keep makes that epic feeling and enhances it IMO. Youre on an entire fortress fighting think of it as the keep in LOTR. Thats how I feel everytime I play through it and it always gets better, I love dieing in there so I know what I can do better and move forward, Cleared Hell and the keep was challenging as a Monk and cant wait to start Inferno best of luck to you

Keep levels 1 and 2 were the hardest spots in the game for me as a DH. I farm Cydaea + Azmodan runs, 20-25 mins each 1-3 deaths, step into keep depths level 1 and it's a bad affix soul ripper that kills me 10 times (fast teleporter invulnerable minions reflect damage anyone? or teleporter fire chains).

Come to think of it the keep depths really aren't bad, it's just soul rippers in general. Fuck those things.