Want to help out a family I know, advice please.

Hey guys, so I know this family that lives close to me. 5 kids, I think they migrated from Kosovo or something during the war there a few years ago. They're poor, already gave em an old bike that I patched up for them once, they were extatic.

So I was cleaning up my room, and I found my old gem. A computer from 2002/2003. Cleaned out all the dust, added some old ass ram, and I booted it. Still works like a charm, but I'm not sure if this thing is still worth giving away...

Installed HWMonitor, Cpu-z and checked out the parts inside. It's pretty damn quiet, that's for sure. My only concern is: how hot are the CPU and GPU running? HWM doesn't even read it, I guess they didn't have temperature sensors in their equipment yet back then...

Doesn't boot fast, but once everything is up and running, it's fairly decent tbh.

So I have some questions: how accurate are the TMPIN temps? Is there a way to test if this thing is still solid, so it won't poop out on them in like 2 weeks? Is reapplying some TIM a good idea?

It used to be so badass, has all the features, TV card, wifi card, card reader, bluetooth, 150gb hdd, etc etc. It used to run battlefield 2 on high like a boss!

Gonna be giving my old 19 inch flatscreen aswell.What do you guys think? Worth giving away? Or just give it to the recycling facility, that sends them to Africa?

Look at dat Vcore btw

Some help would be greatly appreciated! Any tips to improve it a bit more are welcome aswell.

Just give it to them. When you're poor and someone helps you it makes you not so depressed about life.

Presumably there was some kind of stress test back then for testing overclocks, just run an hour of that and if it passes call it solid. Heck, maybe P95 even works.

Don't forget to completely erase all your personal data off the hard drive.

Help those who are closer to you. Thats what being part of a community is about.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Presumably there was some kind of stress test back then for testing overclocks, just run an hour of that and if it passes call it solid. Heck, maybe P95 even works.

Don't forget to completely erase all your personal data off the hard drive.
    I was like 12 when I got it, there won't be much personal information on it plan to reinstall windows and get all the stuff they would need installed.

Could run prime, but I don't wanna fry it, since I can't read the temps...

Btw, I picked a random PSU cable that I found in my closet, this won't hurt it, right?

Nah, it is strips of copper wrapped in rubber with some stainless steel pins at the end. There isn't much to go wrong there. Isn't like you are replacing a transformer block or anything like that.

You can upgrade the CPU to a Core 2 Duo if you can get one for cheap

Do those fit the socket?

Yes, but you might want to check that the BIOS supports them. Core2duo uses the LGA 775 socket.

Amazon has them new from 180 dollars. the E8400 I have in the old computer is $250 (price when I bought it: $130). Not really worth the money, I'm sure the family will be happy that you thought about them and gave them a computer at all