Need help getting fit for paintball sprinting.

Hello everyone,

Basically what I need to be doing is getting fit for a couple of paintball matches every week or so.

Between those weeks I have a couple of hours of spare time in which I can train. The problem now is, when I play paintball, I have this pain in the lower back muscles which indicates I am out of shape obviously.

Can anyone recommend any training routines that I can do daily to get me back to shape, and more importantly, help me sprint short distances without getting our of breath all the time?

at the moment, springing a short distance gets me gasping for air which hurts my scores in paintball a lot.

Note: I am 180 cm tall and weigh 95 kg, obese, but I am working on it. I lost 10 Kg so far in 2 months.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, use the spare time you have jogging? Also, sprinting is not running. Sprinting exhausts you way more than steady running. Try sprinting a marathon... No man has ever done it...

Also, pain in the lower back? Never heard of it... I'm out of shape but I ain't got no pain in no back....
    But really, just run. Run as much as you can...

And 180 cm with 95kg is not quite obese, but hey, you could lower that, yes.

I am aware sprinting is not running, in paintball I need to sprint a lot to dodge incoming attacks.
    I don't really know why my lower back muscles hurt when I sprint for short distances tbh.

I will try jogging in my spare time, thanks.

It could be the way you sprint, maybe your leaning forward instead of being upright. Your form is important.

It could not be your form and it may just be a lack of stretching so the muscles in your lower back are tight or you have a weak core

Found this in a quick google search:

While sprinting may be the reason you notice the pain, there may be a significant underlying condition such as a herniated disc, spinal stenosis or degeneration of disk, which creates more significant physical issues. A magnetic resonance imaging, or MRI, machine takes pictures of the spine's bones, nerves and muscles so doctors can properly assess what is causing the problem and how severe it is. Your doctor will let you know when and how aggressively you can return to sprinting.

Source: http://www.livestrong.com/article/51...#ixzz1xcPAczRh
    Last edited by Lyriok; 2012-06-12 at 09:57 PM.

Beep test yourself on your days off, it's excellent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-stage_fitness_test
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Firstly, the lower back pain may not be caused by sprinting itself. You probably want to get that checked out by a doctor.

Secondly, you want to do interval training. For example, you could do something along the lines of:

Jog/Run for 1km (warm-up)
    Sprint 2/4/600 meters
    Walk 200 meters
    Sprint 2/4/600 meters
    Walk 200 meters
    Sprint 2/4/600 meters
    Walk 200 meters
    Sprint 2/4/600 meters
    Walk 200 meters

Obviously if you are unfit you want to start at a lower sprint distance, and as you feel comfortable with that work your way up. Also, if you are using a Treadmill, you can also increase the speed at which you do the sprints (14/16/18/20 for example).

Interval training will get you fit and ready in no time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Eh, use the spare time you have jogging? Also, sprinting is not running. Sprinting exhausts you way more than steady running. Try sprinting a marathon... No man has ever done it...

Also, pain in the lower back? Never heard of it... I'm out of shape but I ain't got no pain in no back....
    But really, just run. Run as much as you can...

And 180 cm with 95kg is not quite obese, but hey, you could lower that, yes.
    Jogging will help with overall cardio but it will not develop the kind of muscles used to explode when you are sprinting. They are different kinds of muscles thus they require different exercises.
    Case: Cooler Master HAF X - Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition - PSU: Cooler Master 1000W 80+ Gold - CPU: Intel i7 4930K - GPU: EVGA GTX690 - RAM - G Skill Ripjaw 16gb (4x4) @2133 Cooling - Corsair Hydro H100i - HDD: Western Digital CB 500gb and 1TB - SSD: Intel 128gb

Best advice I can think of to help overall fitness/sprinting would be to go to a local track, jog the curves, sprint the straights. Good way to get in shape, and focus on the sprinting you want. Might try doing this for four laps (1 mile over here in the US, not sure in metric system :P) 3 days a week, then bump to to 6 laps the second week and so on. Good luck

15+ Year Old Account
    Coming from someone who has done paintball tourneys in the past the best sprint training for paintball is modified line drills where instead of tagging the line, you practice sliding into cover, the immediately getting up and doing the same to another bunker up field like you would in a game. The problem with training by running laps on a track is that, you are never ever going to run on that type of surface in a match, and you won't ever run those distances. While longer runs do increase stamina, I personally believe you should always practice how you play, on grass and with bunkers. This not only helps your sprinting, bu also how you enter and exit cover. I will say it is helpful to have access to a private field when training, but having access to two or three bunkers will do. Oh and if you wanna up the action, have one of you teammates free fire at you on the run.
    Last edited by Gracin; 2012-06-14 at 03:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd get that pain checked out by a doctor first before training.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Beep test yourself on your days off, it's excellent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-stage_fitness_test
    Beep test is horrible. Do the Cooper Test instead.
    "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that".
    Bill Shankly
    "You're playing worse and worse every day and right now you're playing like it's next month".
    Herb Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Elgefar View Post
    You're suggestion is that a person increase their sprint capability by doing a test based on long-distance running? Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

Quote Originally Posted by Elgefar View Post
    How is it horrible? You want to practise interval training and "explosiveness", he will move from cover to cover in a rush so he will want to be able to perform short speedy run bursts, that makes the beep test pretty much perfect. Once you get further up the levels it becomes quite tough as well as far as endurance goes. Lets say you manage level 15 that means you've run 3140 meters in 15-16 minutes. You need to be able to sprint 20 meters in 4.65 seconds to make it. Depending on your physical fitness and how hard you push yourself you will feel like you are about to die from exhaustion once you stop.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    tabata sprints are another good option.

do a 400m warmup run then go straight into 8 x 20 second flat-out sprints with a 10second rest inbetween each one. Finish with another 400m and you'll be in a world of hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmot View Post
    Hello everyone,

Basically what I need to be doing is getting fit for a couple of paintball matches every week or so.

Between those weeks I have a couple of hours of spare time in which I can train. The problem now is, when I play paintball, I have this pain in the lower back muscles which indicates I am out of shape obviously.

Can anyone recommend any training routines that I can do daily to get me back to shape, and more importantly, help me sprint short distances without getting our of breath all the time?

at the moment, springing a short distance gets me gasping for air which hurts my scores in paintball a lot.

Note: I am 180 cm tall and weigh 95 kg, obese, but I am working on it. I lost 10 Kg so far in 2 months.
    To be honest, all you need is jogging shoes and to build up some fitness, there's no real reason for 'sprint training' as with fitness you can sprint.

Deleted
    The lower back pain could be the effects of not having a strong enough front (abs etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Alataria View Post
    The lower back pain could be the effects of not having a strong enough front (abs etc).
    This pretty much, just keep the muscles busy, they will get stronger, and this pain won't (shouldn't :>) occur.