Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    In your fish aquarium eating your fish flakes. NOM NOM

The end has come - RMAH launched

Well just noticed that RMAH has launched, i can just hear all the doomsayers now that D3 is now over and its a dead game.

Hardly the truth but this is going draw all the trolls out of hiding for sure.

We'll also probably hear how someone quit their job to do it full time to make money on the RMAH.

What do you guys think we will hear about it more, the good aspects of it or the bad?
    Torchlight II Vanilla Player
    Looking for a vanilla only group?

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=40739

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's easy to make money, just don't sell shit for ridiculous prices like so many people are doing now. Sell to move, people, sell to move.

I've already made enough to be treated to Subway and Prometheus + snacks (now) sometime in the next 72 hours.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    I abhor micro transactions making their way from f2p and facebook games into the game i paid 60 bucks for. I wonder if people will find any exploits...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    I abhor micro transactions making their way from f2p and facebook games into the game i paid 60 bucks for. I wonder if people will find any exploits...
    Any exploits will be dealt with the moment Blizzard sniff them out. I expect them to punish people who try and the system will be heavily monitored 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    Any exploits will be dealt with the moment Blizzard sniff them out. I expect them to punish people who try and the system will be heavily monitored 24/7.
    monitored by wage slaves who care more for their jobs than blizz's bottom line
    Isnt 10% of infinite still infinite?

Deleted
    Is the price, a mere $60, really why you don't want the RMAH in Diablo? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this, since if I'd imagine a similar RMAH coming to WoW, I can't see myself quitting it, and I don't think I would be too irked about it. Now, that's my personal feeling about this of course, but when you take into account the fact that I've spent over 1500€ on WoW by now, some $60 plus expansions for a game I'll play for years to come seems like absolutely nothing to me. I'm by no means rich, but the price of Diablo after having played a game that costs 13€ a month seems like pennies.

I just mentioned this because people are throwing the hilariously small price of $60 around as their reason for this and that.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2012-06-12 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Is the price, a mere $60, really why you don't want the RMAH in Diablo? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this, since if I'd imagine a similar RMAH coming to WoW, I can't see myself quitting it, and I don't think I would be too irked about it. Now, that's my personal feeling about this of course, but when you take into account the fact that I've spent over 1500€ on WoW by now, some $60 plus expansions for a game I'll play for years to come seems like absolutely nothing to me. I'm rich, the price of Diablo after having played a game that costs 13€ a month seems like pennies.

I just mentioned this because people are throwing the hilariously small price of $60 around as their reason for this and that.
    that may not be much to you Uncle moneybags but some people dont feel like paying the standard price for current video game for the game developers to also throw something in that could cost more money just to play but then again you removed most of what they said so maybe you meant to misinform anyone reading your "quote"

ps: see if you can see how i made things "easier" to understand
    Last edited by ambigiouslynamed; 2012-06-12 at 11:26 PM.
    Isnt 10% of infinite still infinite?

Not a fan of f2p games where they nickle and dime you. But being able to recoup all the money I spent on the game and maybe even pay for my WoW account and the MoP expansion for selling stuff I'm going to be farming anyway? That's pretty cool. That's more a pay-me-to-play game than a free-to-play game.

Wish I had some good gear in my inventory I can sell before prices tank. At least I can make a few bucks and random rares I've found when farming.

Is it hilariously small because you're comparing it to a price of a Porshe, or a new house, or even a new computer, or what? Compared to other PC games this price is NOT small.

Skyrim costs the same, it's offers much more playtime, and it's a game you own, you can play it anytime (offline!), you can't get BANNED from it, and so on.
    Guild Wars 2 costs 59.99 USD, and it's a full MMO-RPG, not a "always online single-player".
    Most other games cost less, especially games of same genre, Torchlight 2 costs 19.99 USD.

yeah time to make some easy money :P

15+ Year Old Account
    I expect to hear about a thousand potentially fake stories about Blizzard listing and selling generated items on the AH for maximum profit. Probably as soon as someone sees duplicate artifact or rares for the exact same price.

I think there is a difference when you can play D3... that will let you earn back the money.

You know the RMAH is as far as possible away from the lame "buy" micro tansactions in other games.

This time it is the PLAYERS who get the money in a controlled server side setting.

You sell a sword for 20 dollars : 19 dollars for the seller.

How about that: a virtual good to sell for real currency.

And you complain.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ambigiouslynamed View Post
    that may not be much to you Uncle moneybags
    You can be on welfare and spend $60 on a game. I've been there. I'm not now, but as I said, I'm by no means rich.

but some people dont feel like paying the standard price for a video game nowadays for the game developers to also throw something in that could cost more money
    The RMAH does not raise the cost of the game. The fact that there's an option to buy gear for real life currency does not equate to the need to do so.

but then again you removed most of what they said so maybe you missed it like everyone else who would read what you "quoted"

ps: see if you can see how i made things "easier" to understand
    What I removed was the part about micro transactions making their way into the game FROM Facebook and f2p games. That's hardly pertinent information. However, since it rubbed you the wrong way, I edited the quote to show the entire post. Quoting the entire post requires me to change not a single syllable from my reply, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jaelrin View Post
    Is it hilariously small because you're comparing it to a price of a Porshe, or a new house, or even a new computer, or what? Compared to other PC games this price is NOT small.
    PC games cost what, 40-60 bucks? Most PC games are played through in hours. There are some with a bit more depth, such as the Elder Scrolls or Fallout games, but especially as far as FPS games are concerned, the single player campaigns are laughably short, and the replay value is nonexistent, seeing as though you're not amassing anything, such as a virtual currency or gear; you're just playing the campaign over and over.

Sure, games like Doom 3 or Bioshock 2 might not be quite as short as Half-Life 2 (4 hours I believe), and there are of course plenty of RPG styled games such as DA, ME, and the aforementioned Fallout and Elder Scrolls series, but most PC games are short.

Also, most single player PC game patches only fix bugs and balance issues, and there are very few content patches for them. In fact, those "content patches" are called DLC's, which more often than not cost money. Talk about micro transactions.

Diablo 3 does have an admittedly short campaign. That's not what it's about, though. It's about the gear hunt, so the replay value is quite high. If you choose to buy shit from the auction houses then you're free to do so. Diablo 3 also brings us - most likely - content patches. The game as it is now is not the whole game, nor is it the game we'll be playing half a year from now.

I've played WoW something like 500-600 days /played. That's around 12000-14000 hours of playing, for as I stated earlier, something like 1500€ (a few accounts, character transfers, mounts and minipets, CE's, and so on).

I've already played Diablo for around 230 hours, and I haven't even gotten started yet. I don't know how long you expect a single player game to keep you entertained but when we're talking about hundreds of hours, it should definitely be worth it's price.

So yea... Even if I had paid $60 for my Diablo (I didn't, had annual pass, paid for the CE though, but got 52€ back from the CE, so price came down to around 30€ or so), I would still consider it to be a hilariously small amount for a game I'm going to spend hundreds, most likely thousands of hours playing, and a game that I can actually make the $60 back in using the RMAH.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2012-06-12 at 11:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

When your struggling to pay for college 60 bucks is alot of money.

---------- Post added 2012-06-12 at 11:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    I think there is a difference when you can play D3... that will let you earn back the money.

You know the RMAH is as far as possible away from the lame "buy" micro tansactions in other games.

This time it is the PLAYERS who get the money in a controlled server side setting.

You sell a sword for 20 dollars : 19 dollars for the seller.

How about that: a virtual good to sell for real currency.

And you complain.
    It's not. It will be dominated by 3rd party gold and item sellers and I fail to see how buying virtual items on face book is any different from buying virtual items in Diablo. I complain because I don't want anything like that in my game. You cheer it and welcome it with open arms giving licence to gold sellers, monatizing the shit out of the product. And you CHEER that
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2012-06-12 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaelrin View Post

Skyrim costs the same, it's offers much more playtime, and it's a game you own, you can play it anytime (offline!), you can't get BANNED from it, and so on.
    Guild Wars 2 costs 59.99 USD, and it's a full MMO-RPG, not a "always online single-player".
    Most other games cost less, especially games of same genre, Torchlight 2 costs 19.99 USD.
    Well come back when I can sell my stuff for real money in "long term play between dumb NPC's" then.

Diablo 3 - as of now - has around 10 times more extended play than all single player games combined.

Quote from Rob PArdo" With the real money Auction House and trading, players will keep playing much longer even if they are FULL gear capped"

The REAL Diablo 3 game just started right now.

---------- Post added 2012-06-12 at 11:31 PM ----------

---------- Post added 2012-06-12 at 11:28 PM ----------

It's not. It will be dominated by 3rd party gold and item sellers and I fail to see how buying virtual items on face book is any different from buying virtual items in Diablo. I complain because I don't want anything like that in my game. You cheer it and welcome it with open arms giving licence to gold sellers, monatizing the shit out of the product. And you CHEER that
    The keyword is SELL my friend; "S E L L" .

I think you still don't get it.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2012-06-12 at 11:32 PM.

So instead of buying, try selling. You may find you make the cost of the game back in those 'micro-transactions'.

As to the OP, I predict we'll hear both: there'll be some stories of how people are able to quit their jobs and work full-time on D3. There'll be the occasional 'lol I just sold a legendary for $250!!!' forum thread. There'll obviously be the conspiracy theorists and the ignorant doomsayers.

Overall, the RMAH will be a fun and interesting addition to the game. So long as you don't take the forums as representative of the entire community, that is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Well come back when I can sell my stuff for real money in "long term play between dumb NPC's" then.

Diablo 3 - as of now - has around 10 times more extended play than all single player games combined.

Quote from Rob PArdo" With the real money Auction House and trading, players will keep playing much longer even if they are FULL gear capped"

The REAL Diablo 3 game just started right now.
    Right. When the chinese prisoners and slave laborers undercut every item you put up and you try and compete with people who have plenty of time on their hands in 3rd and 2nd world countries to make profit by reselling exactly that then you can come and tell me the real game has begun. What a joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    monitored by wage slaves who care more for their jobs than blizz's bottom line
    Could be said about pretty much any job, in that case, but by the looks of things, you would prefer those people to be unemployed rather than having a job at Blizzard. See, I can make ridiculous comments, too.

10+ Year Old Account
    The RMAH does create a discrepancy for people who do not want to use it. You know nothing of economics if you cannot see that and I'm sure a thousand other threads have already tried to teach you that, so I won't bother trying again. As for me, I don't really care, I got over diablo 3 repeating it for the 3rd time, sometime during hell difficulty. I'll come back and play the expansion for however long that lasts, but unless they put actual new content in, I'm not interested.

I also cannot wait to hear the stories of people saying they now live off the RMAH etc. I want to see a documentary on the sensationalist fake news shows about some 15 year old kid who out earns his parents with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    That, however, is neither Blizzard's or anyone else's problem.