Thread: Folding

10+ Year Old Account

Folding

Ok so i may be misunderstanding what this is completely.

But what the hell is it? i dont understand at all. can anyone help? as i will be getting a new computer soon and with the one left behind i will have no use forf it and everyone else with a "spare" comp seems to be folding.

yes this may be a noob thing but i just dont know and wikipedia didnt help
    Dell U2713H
    GTX 980Ti
    custom water cooling

It's something started at Stanford, on the basis of them wanting to do more for the research of cancer and disease and whatnot, but realise that it would take one super-computer a million years to actually accomplish what they wanted.
    So, they reasoned that if they made it a project, it might take one million computers less time to do it.
    In effect, they are outsourcing the project of DNA-bending to different computer users who offer their computers.
    The computer users are getting points for the effort, and scientists are getting valuable data and research material.

The points can not be used for anything else, just shows how much the value of your contribution is/was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ohhh so i was reading it right, i just found it weird that i would be F@H in awe for cancer etc.

Well guess its something to do when i do get the new rig at end of year and help the world etc etc

Thanks tetris

EDIT

next thing will be learning how etc etc
    Dell U2713H
    GTX 980Ti
    custom water cooling

I am sure you can read up a bit more here, as well as perhaps joining the MMOC team.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...C-folding-team

Deleted
    Theres an app on the PS3 to fold too If u have one.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    So, they reasoned that if they made it a project, it might take one million computers less time to do it.
    In effect, they are outsourcing the project of DNA-bending to different computer users who offer their computers.
    I thought it was folding proteins (hence the name) and not DNA.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    I thought it was folding proteins (hence the name) and not DNA.
    Yes, I was grasping through memory. :]