Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

So how does this lead to a Auto fail?

So i had my P's test for my Provisionals here in Australia.

Everything started out ok, untill i got out on the road.

The instructor asked me to do a 180 around the round a bout, but i couldnt becuase of the traffic on the lane she wanted me on and it was impossible to do so.

So instead she asks me to go streight up to the next one and do it there, So i do, then i get told to take a right near the transport department, and turn into it.

Right off the bat, she declares my test fail and says 'becuase you did not go into the lane that i asked you to, im declaring this failed"

She wouldnt even let me have my statement that i couldnt get into the right lane becuase of all the bloody traffic!

So how the hell does that lead to a failiure?
    Australian Oceanic Multi Class Veteran of the Burning Crusade Wars!
    Twitter: @Romiretv
    Youtube: RomireTv
    Twitchy: My Twitch

Thats really rotten luck man. Some of them are pricks and some are nice. I was lucky, I made a few mistakes but the guy didnt fail me, just told me how to correct them and to practice. Dont think that was grounds for an auto fail but she sounds like a bitch plain and simple.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not knowing the law there, but I'd suggest doing exactly what they say, regardless of traffic conditions

They have to fail X# of people to make it look like they are doing their job. When I took my first test I was told to go down a narrow 2 way street with a moving van unloading in my lane. I stopped, checked traffic signaled, and moved around it an failed for going into the other lane.

10+ Year Old Account
    They do that shit intentionally because they know that if you fail the test then you need to pay to try again.

Obviously they want you to pay to try the test again as many times as possible.

Should have said you would not risk performing a dangerous act while driving just because someone told you to.

If that was denied as an answer then yeah, total bitch.

Deleted
    Either that person is a complete ....., or they were testing if you had the 'guts' to drive, make decisions and don't hesitate. Most driving accidents happen when people start hesitating and cause confusion in the traffic. When I drive and I really NEED to get into a lane, I blink the indicator for a few seconds and the second I see a car pass me, I get in lane behind it. If it's really that dense traffic, I slowly move my way in the lane so the car, that gets behind me on the new lane, knows I'm coming regardless if he brakes or not, so he will break :P

Sometimes you just get stuck with a crap instructor, so a bit of RNG is in place, I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Titansruler View Post
    Either that person is a complete ....., or they were testing if you had the 'guts' to drive, make decisions and don't hesitate. Most driving accidents happen when people start hesitating and cause confusion in the traffic. When I drive and I really NEED to get into a lane, I blink the indicator for a few seconds and the second I see a car pass me, I get in lane behind it. If it's really that dense traffic, I slowly move my way in the lane so the car that gets behind me on the new lane, knows I'm coming regardless if he brakes or not, so he will :P

Sometimes you just get stuck with a crap instructor, so a bit of RNG is in place, I guess.
    Pretty sure "having guts" and being really aggressive about getting your lane is a good way to start road rage/get killed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    They do that shit intentionally because they know that if you fail the test then you need to pay to try again.

Obviously they want you to pay to try the test again as many times as possible.

Should have said you would not risk performing a dangerous act while driving just because someone told you to.

If that was denied as an answer then yeah, total bitch.
    I said i couldnt turn into the lane becuase of traffic, she didnt care, i refused to sign the paper work afterwards,
    Australian Oceanic Multi Class Veteran of the Burning Crusade Wars!
    Twitter: @Romiretv
    Youtube: RomireTv
    Twitchy: My Twitch

Deleted
    you can complain to the Driving centre, maybe they might give you a free test, explain in writing saying the traffic was not easing, and any attempt in taking the road indicated by the instructor would had been impossible, because it would have been considered dangerous driving, pulling out in-front of cars forcing them to brake is an instant fail, and the instructor cant force you to drive into on coming traffic, the test is car control and road awareness.

But if there was ample gaps in the traffic a confident driver would have taken, but maybe you didn't see them, due to be a new driver and scared.
    Last edited by mmocae06178e2b; 2012-06-13 at 06:21 AM.

My brother failed his the first time because the instructor literally said verbatim, "You can go a bit above the limit here, it's just a suggested speed." When he refused to, thinking it was a test within a test, the instructor automatically failed him despite no other marks against him. He went to a different instructor a few days later and passed without any issue.

I'm almost positive some will fail you for any reason, because it makes financial sense for them to do so. You really need to make sure you get involved with a reputable driving school that doesn't engage in that sort of practice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Romire View Post
    So i had my P's test for my Provisionals here in Australia.

Everything started out ok, untill i got out on the road.

The instructor asked me to do a 180 around the round a bout, but i couldnt becuase of the traffic on the lane she wanted me on and it was impossible to do so.

So instead she asks me to go streight up to the next one and do it there, So i do, then i get told to take a right near the transport department, and turn into it.

Right off the bat, she declares my test fail and says 'becuase you did not go into the lane that i asked you to, im declaring this failed"

She wouldnt even let me have my statement that i couldnt get into the right lane becuase of all the bloody traffic!

So how the hell does that lead to a failiure?
    Bitch be getting her tires cut...

Lets see YOU make a lane change now ya cunt!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Pretty sure "having guts" and being really aggressive about getting your lane is a good way to start road rage/get killed.
    There's a difference in determination and agressive. If you need to get in a lane, there is a way, but you have to trust your ability to make it happen. If you hesitate for a split second, you cause confusion and THAT leads to accidents. As I said, don't just push your way in, blink first to notify the people around you and then move. If the person behind gets frustrated, he doesn't know how to drive safely as it's not about getting yourself to get from A to B safely, but also the people around you and you need to give them the space they need as much as you need your space.

15+ Year Old Account
    I got asked to do a turn in the road on a road with no curbs, i failed for "hitting the curb" . . . go figure . . .

Deleted
    Although my instructor was much nicer than yours I also failed my first attempt due to heavy traffic, I was so eager to get my license that I booked the first available time which was right during the rush hour. Not a good idea... I almost passed it but at two points I was apparently not quick enough to accelerate and thus slowed down traffic, I was really freaking nervous not to make any mistakes and it's not like they had to even hit their brakes or anything...

I booked my next test a little bit further ahead at around 9-10'ish during the day, no traffic anywhere, smooth sailing. I must say that's pretty much the most important part of all, what time of the day you book the test.

10+ Year Old Account
    I failed the test the first time because I apparently drove into a road I wasn't allowed to go into.

A few weeks later, I heard they removed that part of the test because the traffic signs were too confusing, and even the driving instructors were unsure about it.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Noobzor McScrub View Post
    Wait, you actually take the tests with YOUR instructor ?!? They can be that objective ?!?

In my country, when it comes to testing, it's just you, a witness (usually another candidate) and a police officer in the car to rate your performance. The instructor isn't present at all. If you don't perform adequately, the cop will just tell you to pull over, and that's that. There are no discussions.

1st time I took the test, it was snowing and at one turn, I did not reduce the speed enough and the car slipped a bit. The officer immediately told me to pull over and it was game over.
    Yep, we go into the RTA(motor registry) on the booked day/time, and get into a car with an instructor, and basically they just tell you to drive around, do a u turn or 3 point turn, park and etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Quote Originally Posted by Titansruler View Post
    There's a difference in determination and agressive. If you need to get in a lane, there is a way, but you have to trust your ability to make it happen. If you hesitate for a split second, you cause confusion and THAT leads to accidents. As I said, don't just push your way in, blink first to notify the people around you and then move. If the person behind gets frustrated, he doesn't know how to drive safely as it's not about getting yourself to get from A to B safely, but also the people around you and you need to give them the space they need as much as you need your space.
    You have it all wrong, while changing lanes, you must give way to the vehicles already in that lane, doing what you suggest leads to accidents and since your car will be half way between the lanes, you will be the one marked by the police as the guilty party.

The safe way to change lanes is to watch the road signs carefully so that you do not need to change lanes at the last moment. I find that people are much more likely to let you into their lane if you do it early, than 5 metres before the intersection, especially if there is a queue in the way you want to go and the lane you were going through is empty.

On topic: If you feel that that you got a case, file a complaint, I would not expect too much to come out of it though, these people are virtually untouchable, unless they are caught taking bribes. Btw was your exam recorded in some way (video/sound)? That might give you something to build your case upon.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

Deleted
    The example pictured was meant in a dense traffic situation, not acting like a retard and cutting people off by trying to skip queue's :P. Situations where you have to change lane JUST before it's no longer possible are always avoidable as like you said, you just have to pay attention and make your way to the lane you need the earliest possible/safe moment.

Ofcourse different countries have different rules and traffic in Holland you usually come across very dense traffic. Not many freeways have more than 2 lanes and there's loads of people on the roads, especially during rush hours, also a dozen bikes on the smaller roads. My ways might not be the best, but I passed both written and practice exam in one go and with 3 years experience I haven't had an accident yet.

Here when you do your final exam on the roads, you drive with your instructor (who's just a witness and doesn't talk) and with an authorized person to take those kind of exams who'll take you through the route.

Deleted
    You may have fallen victim to a subtle scam. Some driving instructors are notorious for using the slightest slip up to fail someone in order to try and get them to pay out yet more money for additional lessons.

Im assuming (and could very well be wrong, so if i am i apologise) but i know where i live, a lot of the test drivers at the RTA fail a lot of male drivers 3 and 4 times for the slightest things before passing them. So much so that people know which RTA's to go to and which not to go to for said tests in order to maximise the chance of passing their test.

It's quite sad to think it is like this, but i don't exactly not believe it given that young male drivers are presented by the media as ALL being wankers behind the wheel.