Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadylol View Post
    The social networking fad is kind of over, and thus Facebook is declining in popularity, so it makes sense for them to ramp up the selling of ad space, while it's still financially viable
    You couldn't be even more misinformed. The site still has hundreds of millions of users and a huge challenge with their monetization is that Mark Zuckerberg hates banner ads, rendering the op's situation improbable as already explained by others in this thread.

---------- Post added 2012-06-15 at 01:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sinner563 View Post
    sigh...

The Facebook ads aren't even intrusive. That's what annoying me.

What is it that people find so hard to grasp. You are not paying for a site. The site has to make revenue somehow. Ads make that revenue (facebook is ofc now making revenue off a billion other things, including selling your personal information. But again, I don't see a problem with this, but that's for a different topic...).

The sooner chrome and firefox make it impossible to place intrusive ads (self directing pop-ups and such), the sooner they can remove adblock altogether.

Do mmo-champion, and all the other sites you frequently use a favour. Disable adblock on these sites. They need money to keep going.
    Facebook does not sell your information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    God, Guns, Gays and Gynecology - the Republican 4G Network.

I just learned about Adblock like 3 days ago(don't judge me). Best thing I ever installed on the comp. Chrome + Adblock is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by eriseis View Post

Facebook does not sell your information.
    Well, to be fair, you can't really say that they don't, anymore than he can say they do do. Though I'm on your side with that, as I think the potential legal backlash would be far worse than the benefit of the money gained from selling information
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, to be fair, you can't really say that they don't, anymore than he can say they do do. Though I'm on your side with that, as I think the potential legal backlash would be far worse than the benefit of the money gained from selling information
    I can say they don't because I used to work there. I'm not a spokes person but as a former employee I can tell you they don't sell your info. Whatever mistakes they did with people's info in the past has cost them too much and they wouldn't dare build any more bad press about that.

I can say they don't because I used to work there. I'm not a spokes person but as a former employee I can tell you they don't sell your info. Whatever mistakes they did with people's info in the past has cost them too much and they wouldn't dare build any more bad press about that.
    What if the other guy says he used to work there, too, only he insists that they do sell personal information?

Neither of you has any real proof either way, is all I'm trying to say
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while

10+ Year Old Account
    What if the other guy says he used to work there, too, only he insists that they do sell personal information?

Neither of you has any real proof either way, is all I'm trying to say
    Yeah, um, no. You're being a conspiracy theorist right now. Zuck and Sheryl Sandberg and my former bosses have waay better things to do than "sell information" through a back door. I honestly don't even know what people mean with "omg my information!", the average person doesn't quite have that much personal stuff anyway and that info is pretty useless.

Yeah, um, no. You're being a conspiracy theorist right now. Zuck and Sheryl Sandberg and my former bosses have waay better things to do than "sell information" through a back door. I honestly don't even know what people mean with "omg my information!", the average person doesn't quite have that much personal stuff anyway and that info is pretty useless.
    Lol, I'm being a "conspiracy theorist"? I specifically said earlier that I doubt they would take the risk of selling users' personal information

I'm just telling you that you have the same chance at being correct as the guy who said they do sell it

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol, I'm being a "conspiracy theorist"? I specifically said earlier that I doubt they would take the risk of selling users' personal information

I'm just telling you that you have the same chance at being correct as the guy who said they do sell it
    I may sorta see where you're coming from, but one thing I have to give Facebook (and keep in mind I'm not a fan boy, just dont' like to see the company falsely accused of stuff) is that they are very open with the employees. We're not talking CIA or Apple under Steve Jobs secrecy here.

Adblock this will help you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't really care about either side of the argument, but I have to kind of ignore everything said after that. That information is priceless in marketing and business, not useless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Don't really care about either side of the argument, but I have to kind of ignore everything said after that. That information is priceless in marketing and business, not useless.
    That information used to be priceless in marketing, it's about interaction and experience, no longer about just yelling to a specific group. Raw data in itself is no longer enough, it's about the interactions. I'm just ridiculing the fact that people think their "information" (whatever this word means, really) is more important than what it actually is.

I've worked for multiple institutions where I've been responsible for people's personal info. I've seen more social security numbers, addresses, medical and school records than I could ever imagine I would. And believe me, the sheer number of people in institutions other than Facebook who see the personal info you should care about (i.e. that you're borderline schizo or had depression, not that your political views: the Bible or bullshit like that) is actually much more scary than anything you feed to Facebook.
    Last edited by eriseis; 2012-06-15 at 11:57 AM.

Deleted
    Everybody is saying about adblock or something but you can get rid of page rage by going to control panel > uninstall programs and then search for something called "Yontoo" uninstall that and reset your browser and it should be gone. Don't bother with all of this adblock BS.