Diablo 3 Wizard Stats bug?- Damage Accrual

Heres a rather odd Diablo 3 thing.

I have ticketed blizzrd but hey, lets see if anyone can help explain it lol....

I Replace wizards existing ring:

"Damnation Beast"
    + 17 cold resist.
    + 25 Vit
    + 61 int
    + 79 life after each kill

With:

"Clever Blaze"
    + 50 str
    + 70 dex
    + 21 Vit
    Attack speed increase 15%
    Crit hit increase 2.5%
    Health globe grant +719

Affects of changing the ring are:
    -112 Life
    +1.6% protection
    +798.5 Damage

What i dont understand is why "As a Wizard" that my damage goes up by losing the intelligence... wtf lol

I only have 2 assumptions/guesses.

1. Its calculating my damage based upon a barbarian. If so WTF.

2. Attack speed and Crit hit go towards my damage total.... perhaps....

What are your opinions.

Deleted
    it's #2. AS and crit are counted on the damage sheet.

Oh ok no worries.
    So the damage sheet isnt just base damage.
    Its a summary of the offense calculations based upon:

Attacks per second, Critical Hit Chance, Critical hit Damage, Damage increased by skills.

And depending on how much intelligence you have it can go either way i guess but to get enough intelligence to make that matter would be kind of tricky i assume.

keep in mind the tab says DPS, not damage. your actual damage per hit is not what is shown on the dps tab because it is, as it says, a dps tab.

intelligence will make you hit harder, attack speed will make you hit faster. only one of them increases your damage, but they both increase your dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeaket View Post
    only one of them increases your damage, but they both increase your dps.
    Does a skill like meteor benefit from an attack speed increase the same way it affects a skill like ray of frost does? In other words, since Meteor hits once per "cast" and has a cooldown, does attack speed benefit it at all?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Abysal View Post
    Does a skill like meteor benefit from an attack speed increase the same way it affects a skill like ray of frost does? In other words, since Meteor hits once per "cast" and has a cooldown, does attack speed benefit it at all?
    It sort of does. Attack speed increases how fast you can cast spells, so if you cast several Meteor spells after each other, you can fit in more with a higher attack speed in a period of time, than without attack speed increase. Attack speed basically makes you able to do things faster, except obviously movement and such...

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Here, lets step through an example of damage calculations:

Lets step through the damage calculation on my Demon Hunter and see if everything works out.

Start with the weapon and weapon DPS. You see here I have a Revenant Bow. Looking it up on D3DB I can see a Revenant Bow is normally (80-82) - (458-462) damage. By subtracting off the poison damage, you can see that my bow is a 80-459 range.
    The "of blight" for this weapon is +(191-286)-(334-667) Poison Damage, and you can see on my weapon that I rolled a 221-571 (so not bad).
    So when you add the base damage and the "of blight" damage together you get the 301-1030 damage listed on the item. That makes the average weapon damage 665.5, and since the speed is 1.40 attacks per second that gives the DPS number of 665.5*1.40 = 931.7.
    So far so good, everything makes sense. Note that +Damage (on a weapon) and +Increased Attack Speed (on a weapon) are the only things that will modify the displayed Damage Per Second ON THE WEAPON's tooltip. Damage and IAS from other places are NOT reflected on the weapon's damage tooltip, and are instead on the character sheet tooltip.

Okay, next step is that 34254.84 displayed on the character sheet. The tooltip for that says "The amount of damage per second you can deal is based on your weapons, attributes, attack speed, Crit Hit Chance, passive skills, and dual wielding attack speed increases."

So, even though my weapon says I have 1.4 attacks per second (and that's used to display the weapon DPS tooltip), my ACTUAL Attacks per second is 2.24, shown on the Details sheet and increased because of other IAS items. So take my base damage (665.5) and multiply that times 2.24 to get 1490.72. Now look at Crit. My crit rate is 5%. That means that 95% of the time I'll do that 1490.72 DPS number. 5% of the time I will crit, and since I get 100% crit damage, that means 5% of the time my DPS will be 2981.44. So 1490.72*.095 + 2981.44*.05 = 1565.256. That number is your Damage Per Second when including crit.
    The last step here is to add the bonus from Dexterity. I have 1803 dexterity which adds 1803% damage. The "tricky" part here is that you need to add your base "100% damage" you do, so it's actually 1565.256 * 1903% = 29786.82 DPS.

And finally, I have a passive that gives me 15% damage when I use a bow, so you add this on last. 29786.82 * 1.15% = 34254.843 DPS. This is what you see on the character sheet tooltip.

So, to boil that down:

Take your average weapon damage number (min damage + max damage, then divide by 2).
    Find your attacks per second on your character sheet and multiply that number by your average damage to find your true base Damage Per Second (this -may- be different than your weapon DPS tooltip)
    Calculate your Damage Per Second including Crit by multiplying your true DPS by (1-crit chance)+(crit chance * (1+crit damage %). So in my example it was 1490.72*[(1-0.05)+0.05*(1+100%)]
    Finally I multiply by the 15% damage bonus from my passive to arrive at the final Damage number on my character sheet.
    Last edited by Porcell; 2012-06-14 at 05:20 AM.