Celebrities in jail, why do they get special treatment?

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/stor...e-rules-061312

In this one case, it was actually denied, finally a sane judge. Though he got an extra five months NOT in prison just because he had a fight scheduled (he is a boxer) So if I say "well my job will not be really happy if I am gone, I cannot go to jail just yet" They will delay it at my convenience? They will let me plead down a possible 36 year sentence to less then half a year? Nope. I could have the same lawyer he had and they would not have allowed any of it.

This is just one case, but you hear of it all the time. Why do they allow celebreties such great choices in prison, while us poor schlubs are screwed? (No pun intended)

Best part of all of this?

"Mayweather also wasn't drinking enough because he wasn't allowed bottled water and doesn't enjoy tap water."

So he needs to go home, because he does not like tap water and prison food? I agree with the prosecuter, what did he EXPECT in prison? It is not a luxury resort.

"Voy estimated Mayweather was consuming fewer than 800 calories a day instead of his usual 3,000 or 4,000 calories."

Note: not because they were depriving him of food, but because he refused to eat the food provided...

Oh, and by the way, he is in jail for beating his ex while his two kids watched. Classy guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because judges and crap know that they have to stay on the good side of the public and media or else get crucified by them and lose their careers. This basically means giving this treatment to athletes who have tons of fans or celebrities who are in high public eye.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

10+ Year Old Account
    More proof that too many idiots have this ridiculous love affair with people they don't even fucking know. We have such a stupid culture of celebrity worship. It honestly sickens me. Shit like this is ridiculous. Man beat his wife, he should do the appropriate time for it. He doesn't like the tap water in prison? Too fucking bad.
    Putin khuliyo

money. either the celeb doesnt want to go to jail or their sponsors, sport, or whatever runs on a schedule and the managers want to keep it on schedule. also "sorry no game tonight, pitcher/quarterback/something is in jail on drug charges" is bad pr
    Isnt 10% of infinite still infinite?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Money is power, my friend...

Rich people don't go to jail!

10+ Year Old Account
    Because they have money. When rich people go to jail, they don't share a jail cell. They live in luxury compared to what the rest of the prisoners live with.

I liked the line the prosecutor said, ''It's jail,'' ''Where did he think he was going? The Four Seasons?'' Lol.
    Last edited by aztr0; 2012-06-14 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    Oh, and by the way, he is in jail for beating his ex while his two kids watched. Classy guy.
    To be fair to the guy, he is running out of opponents at a staggering pace.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellentino View Post
    Money is power, my friend...

Rich people don't go to jail!
    Some do, though usually in rare circumstances - usually involving them ticking off someone else who is both wealthier and more influential.

Quote Originally Posted by Noobzor McScrub View Post
    Because until we get AIs to be judges and referees, we have to make do with human judges who do care about what the public opinion has to say about their actions. Most judges don't care enough about the law, as to cause their actions to piss off a lot of random people regardless how justified such a rulling would be.
    and what makes AIs so great? why would they be impartial? what about their interpretation of the law? they'd be the law is static v law changes to reflect the times as embodied by their programmers
    Isnt 10% of infinite still infinite?

10+ Year Old Account
    Happens in our country all the time, but our celebs are usually thick headed rugby players that beat there wifes and get name suppression because it will hurt there career or the family, we had a comedian that sexual violated his step daughter but public never got too find out who it was, but when it comes to comedians here it aint exactly hard to figure out who it was, the person has never been on tv again.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

A boxer missing a big fight has huge knock-on effects to hundreds of other people involved in the sport. I think there is a good case to delay the jail term for the individual boxer for the same of all the trainers, promoters, arena staff, event organisers and TV deals, all of which will have complex contracts with heavy penalty clauses for non-compliance. If you can punish the boxer without punishing all the other associated people involved in the industry, then that would be a very sensible option for a Judge. This is very similar to the way that Kiefer Sutherland's 3 month jail term was delayed until the summer hiatus in the filming on 24. No need to punish everyone's careers for one person's mistakes.
    Gorbag - Elemental Shaman since Nov 2004
    Raider of Logic Tarren Mill EU

The difference between a celebrity criminal and your average criminal is that the latter is most likely a burden to society regardless of where he is, but in prison he's not going to be a danger to public. While a celebrity can contribute and accomplish so much more when he's outside and is much less likely to be a threat to anyone. Use some common sense.

Deleted
    Arguably, a celebrity doesn't really accomplish all that much. Society just has a way of placing a lucky few on a pedestal and acting as if that somehow makes them immune to much of the - often justified - criticism that comes their way. I'd say they're much more of a burden on society since they're soaking up wealth that could be much better spent solving some of the world's dire issues.

Depends on the celebrity. I'd say that being an undefeated boxing champ is an accomplishment. That a professional athlete earning and spending tons of money while paying taxes contributes more to society than a career criminal. That their sentences are much more useful as community service.

As for justified criticism, I'd say the amount of unjustified criticism on celebrities far outweighs the justified. They're on that pedestal and every single thing they do gets scrutinized by the media. I've never witnessed as much hypocricy as I do when some celeb gets publically named and shamed for crap we know happens every day everywhere around us (not saying domestic violence shouldn't draw the ire of the public, talking about athlete's mistresses and crap like that).