Program that monitors network data usage ?

So I have a roomate and I am trying to figure out just how much of my comcast data limit he is eating up by watching netflix on his ps3 24/7

To do this I plan on getting a program that monitors my own data usage.
    Essentially trying to figure out which one of us is using the most bandwidth because were exceeding the cap on a monthly bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidegrade View Post
    So I have a roomate and I am trying to figure out just how much of my comcast data limit he is eating up by watching netflix on his ps3 24/7

To do this I plan on getting a program that monitors my own data usage.
    Essentially trying to figure out which one of us is using the most bandwidth because were exceeding the cap on a monthly bases.
    Well, you could see what he was streaming and the size of each file, then piece together the amount of data dld.

if you are like me and you get pissed off when friends and family steal my bandwidth, i use QoS on my linksys router.

head to 192.168.1.1 type in your info, which is default as
    username: admin
    password: [wi-fi password goes here]

go to applications and gaming, to QoS.

enable prioritizing bandwidth usage

select MAC address based priority

enter your MAC address

set to HIGH priority.

save changes

profit
    hi there

That wouldn't help me at all I simply want to monitor which device is using the majority of my comcast data plan.

Essentially Comcast gives me a 300gb data pack per month than charges $10 for each additional 50gb
    We go over the 300gb limit it is only fair that the person who used more than 50% of it gets to pay the additional fee.

I simply need to find out which one of us is using more than 150gb per month

You can probably set up some kind of filter in Wireshark that monitors only the connection to netflix and then graph out the bits/tick.
    Then some maths - e.g. if you watch x hours of Netflix at y Kbps, then ...

Deleted
    Searching the web for "Windows bandwidth monitor" brings up a software called FreeMeter which I unfortunately can't link to.

Deleted
    I know their a bit old, but these are awesome! You can get a 24 hour read out of each devices download in plain English!

It’s a unique and admittedly cool feature with some genuine uses; think your flat mate is hogging the connection? Now you can easily check, using the handful of buttons next to the screen to navigate the displays different functions.
    Belkin N1 Vision Review via Bit-tech.net

If you're looking for a Windows client, check out NetLimiter. The free version should work fine for this, but I don't remember exactly the limitations (I own the full version).
    Keeps track of current in/out traffic as well as total bandwidth used, even on remote computers, while they're on. At least this way, you can figure your own part per month, and thus you know who's responsible for the other part.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like more than half of you more than you deserve.