Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by warpath2k View Post
    If you really have to post a *what gun thread* do you really think you are mature enough/experianced enough to own a gun? Surely there are shooting clubs where you can discuss this in far greater detail?

I live in the UK so no guns here but If i could own a gun the last place I would look for advice would the off topic of a gaming forum site.

Yeah buy a mini gun no dude will rob you then.
    Listen to this guy's advice.
    HolgerDK Stærkodder Shocknorrís
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by koudbiertje View Post
    What kind of fucked up country requires someone to have a gun to defend his home...
    A country where someone breaking into your house probably has a gun. I don't blame people wanting a gun to protect themselves and their house etc, I blame the country for not banning guns effectively so if there is a chance you get robbed you wont get fcking shot if you try to defend yourself.

The Smith & Wesson M&P is pretty nice if you want to stay with a handgun. You might want to look at a shotgun though for home defense though.

Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    I was thinking about posting "in b4 typical gun hate" but I noticed it was the second post. Haters sure don't waste any time pushing their agendas.
    Tsk. Not liking implements purely designed to kill people isn't "an agenda", it's simply a reflection of one's empathy.

Unfortunately, Americans aren't know for their 1 on 1 empathy - quite the opposite in fact. Which is why it's always such massive news on all stations when someone does something self-less and puts their own life at risk to save someone elses. What's generally unknown is that this behavior is required everyday in many parts of the world. We empathize pretty much purely when we're presented with something in a sympathetic light. However its generally rare for individuals to take the sympathetic action in the first instance.

But on topic.. why not a .22? Why a .40 specifically? Gonna be honest with you - it really doesn't matter what you shoot them with, it's going to stop them. When LEA talks about "stopping power" in their use of hollow-point ammunition, etc, they're talking about "killing power". You can "stop" people with just about anything.
    Last edited by Janaa; 2012-06-14 at 10:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

Why to use .40 handgun when you can use this

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarx View Post
    Because it's far too large to be able to use indoors effectively. Rather have something that you can use on rounding a corner fast than that.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you want home defense go with a shotgun if you must really have to have a 40 cal get a kimber pro carry or upgrade to a Wilson combat 45 if you want to spend 2 grand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarx View Post
    Because I gaurantee you, an unarmed man, let alone an armed one, can take you down before you can hit him with that.

Statistically an automatic defibrillator is more likely to save your life than a handgun... That said, I've always liked Berettas for their grip/feel, and the Beretta Storm gets my vote. Then again, you can't go wrong with a Glock 23.

Honestly you're going to get a ton of different recommendations based on personal preference, which will likely differ from your own. Just go to a range, ask for advice, pick out a selection and try them.

Its absolutely silly to use a pistol as home defense. Get a shotgun or a dog.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacapaca View Post
    Statistically an automatic defibrillator is more likely to save your life than a handgun... That said, I've always liked Berettas for their grip/feel, and the Beretta Storm gets my vote. Then again, you can't go wrong with a Glock 23.

Honestly you're going to get a ton of different recommendations based on personal preference, which will likely differ from your own.
    Pretty much the same as he will find there. Least here he gets a few ideas, and then he can go to the range.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Because I gaurantee you, an unarmed man, let alone an armed one, can take you down before you can hit him with that.
    You can always use it as a $16000 baseball bat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by davispunx View Post
    Its absolutely silly to use a pistol as home defense. Get a shotgun or a dog.
    Amusingly, more home dogs hurt children than guns do.

Glock 22, I have it. It's really awesome.

How is this relevant? The OP isn't protecting his house against children.

I'd personally go with a Barrett 50 cal. But thats just me...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by davispunx View Post
    How is this relevant? The OP isn't protecting his house against children.
    I was assuming that you were saying having a pistol was silly due to it being dangerous to children who live in the house, where a dog or shotgun (because its bigger and harder to operate, I guess?) was safer.

10+ Year Old Account
    All the hoops we have to jump through to own a gun makes it not worth the hassle and is expensive, sit a test get 2 good character references police come to your house make sure you have a locker for the gun, and this is just if your a Duck shooter, also need a license for a BB gun also.

10+ Year Old Account
    That may be, but I'd be surprised if dogs were responsible for more fatalities, given that there were a grand total of 6 fatal dog attacks on children in the US last year.

Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    All the hoops we have to jump through to own a gun makes it not worth the hassle and is expensive, sit a test get 2 good character references police come to your house make sure you have a locker for the gun, and this is just if your a Duck shooter, also need a license for a BB gun also.
    That's New Zealand. It's not the case in the US. In NZ I believe they also have to interview your wife, if you're married. To ensure she's not uncomfortable with a domestic violence threat.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.