Thread: rift or tera..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I have never tried Rift but I found Tera pretty boring. It's a very pretty game, the world, the monsters, the playable races are all very cool but the so called action combat is pretty clunky and gets old fast. It revolves around dodging/blocking attacks, a monsters eyes glow red you hit dodge/block, he rears up for a swing his arm you step to the side. I just found it more time consuming and tedious rather than fun. Plus there is no end game at all, nothing beyond 5 mans and no incentive to pvp. It lacks a lot of quality of life features that wow has like the example the whole chat system is very primitive you can't click on peoples names to find their name/class/level, in fact the only way to see some one's level is to click their name, open a menu then inspect them, which in a world pvp situation is pretty hard so you have no idea what level some one is if they attack you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Rift is extremely cheap and easy to get into, big patch incoming soon and also an xpac planned. Rift is where stuff is happening, and fast. Gogo.
    100% Agree.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Well Im tempted to re-sub to Rift again OP. Currently still playing Diablo3, but every day getting more and more pissed. Act3 inferno farming dying 24/7 to get nothing aint fun. Horrible loot system.

Anywho, I played rift, got a rogue up in almost BIS gear pre-raid, then it kinda got stale. I loved the first 10 days of /played time, but then I got bored. Trough Rift is a fantastic game the first 1 month or so. Lvling is very booring trough, I dont like questing trough, and its the same as inn wow. macro system, talent tree's and so on is great fun trough. End-game PvP is just one big booring grind, so I didnt bother with that. The 5 mans were all okay.

Deleted
    tera is better
    In my opinion rift is boring

Rift has gotten a lot better than it was at launch, so my vote would go towards Rift. I tried Tera during the beta and I just wasn't feeling it. There were some things I liked, like the world, but the more I played the combat, the less I liked being locked into place. I get that it's supposed to be tactical and whatnot but it just felt awkward to me. I prefer having full movement.

I played tera all night last night and there were things i liked(combat after i got used to it, the AH isnt too spendy) and some i didnt..the quests seem a little snooze worthy but that was also at 5am so im sure i was snoozin off anyway..

Go with Rift, imo. It's pretty much WoW, but with a lot of things fixed, and tons of fun features that WoW doesn't have. (like easier transmog, quick-group forming out in the world, etc)

But eh, I like it better because it's back to small numbers again. At max level, you have ~5k hp, and tanks will have 10-20k. (depending on whether they're dungeon-geared or endgame-raid geared)

Plus, classes have LOTS of choice for specs. Like, right now in WoW, each healer has only one cookie cutter spec that you can use, with 2-6 points that you can spend for yourself. In Rift? Cleric (the main healing class) has about 12 or 13 different viable healing specs. It's crazy fun experimenting with builds, especially the -Icar healing builds. (which is basically the Atonement of rift, except it's really viable)

While yes, a lot of this "lots of specs" comes from the fact that instead of 10 classes with 3 trees, it's 4 classes with 9 trees, but really, that's a ton better imo, because it makes for less characters. On my cleric, I can fill every role on just him. Healer, tank, melee dps, ranged dps. And they all use the same gear too (to an extent), so no having to carry around tons of gear sets. (Well, tank uses different gear, but heal/dps uses roughly the same gear, because wisdom gets changed into hit rating 1:1 ratio)
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

i think after this free trial is up i might try rift..i think what drove me to tera more was the fact that i didnt want to get into a raiding game again..im sure at some point tera will have end game raids,(unless it allready does but everyone says it doesnt)..rift does sound pretty legit though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Andry View Post
    go for Tera while its new and shiny. Rift is really fun too, but its kind of stale and old at the moment. I mean, if you want a game just like WoW, I guess go for Rift.

But Tera is shiny. Like really shiny.
    It is indeed shiny. I played the beta, loved it like hell, but I can’t afford to pay sub every month.

Go TERA, no doubt.

Deleted
    Rift is a WoW-clone. If you want a game that is like WoW, just maybe a bit better than it, or in a different world, go Rift.

Tera has nice combat and dungeons, but it's good only to play for a month or two. After <2 months there is nothing to do in it. More content promised this summer some time. We'll see if it survives though.

Still, for those 2 months Tera is very good. Especially to play with other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Mefasm View Post
    Rift is a WoW-clone. If you want a game that is like WoW, just maybe a bit better than it, or in a different world, go Rift.

Tera has nice combat and dungeons, but it's good only to play for a month or two. After <2 months there is nothing to do in it. More content promised this summer some time. We'll see if it survives though.

Still, for those 2 months Tera is very good. Especially to play with other people.
    RIFT is an MMO that shares a lot of similarities with WoW, but once you play at 50 you'll understand that there are also a lot of differences and improvements.

TERA is probably the most beautiful MMO I ever played, and the combat is awesome fun. Sadly the content is lacking, and there is still a lot of grind left in the game (like the enchanting system *shudder*).

Rift is an amazing MMO. Best I have ever played and Trion is one of the few developers around these days that I truly respect.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

TERA is a good game, most beautiful mmo i ever played, too bad it follows a old gameplay rule wich is kill same mob type everywhere, so the leveling is just there to get you to max level and nothign else, combat system is good and you feel you are in control and have to look into the screen to react but thats not enough for me, if the point of the game is just kill BAM's (Bad Ass Monster) leveling should be taken out of the way (TSW system was a good option to go), got into level 40 and quit cause was so dull and boring.

Rift is very similar to WoW, but when you get to max level i can say its a game that shines for end game, really shines, so much to do that keep you entertaining for along time, since launch they polished the game, and always polishing, its amazing to see a game growing in quality like Rift, i never saw that in other mmo, that dev team probably dont sleep cause they always improving the game, most important is improving in the right way, so much changed since launch i can say at this point its the best mmo of its genre in the market when you look at what they did in just a year, an expansion is coming and if they continue like this the game will get a nice boom in subscriptions, my respect for TRION, hands down.

Deleted
    Rift isn't too much like wow but I do have to admit that Tera is really good too and shiny.

The best advice you can get really is try them both for a while (not just something like 30 minutes), like a real trial like maybe a day or two and then judge for yourself.

EDIT: Also, Rift is much different once you get to 50. There's more things to do and the gameplay feels different, and in some aspects better, to wow.
    Last edited by mmocaf5892d726; 2012-06-17 at 12:19 PM.

after another night of tera its going well..currently level 23 on my lancer..i dont usually pick a tank class as my first toon to play due to tanks sometimes have to take that leadership role in groups..a friend and i cleared almost all of the first 5 man with just us 2..we were just questing and said might as well try it..didnt have enough time to finish it..overall its pretty fun..tanking has a healthy mix of blocking and attacking and im learning quick that you have to plan your attacks well or you will get hit for a lot..
    Last edited by perseas24; 2012-06-17 at 12:44 PM. Reason: spelling

I played RIFT from launch through December. Great game and Trion is one of the few companies I see that work their asses off to earn there subscriptions. I wasn't a fan of leveling my three level 50 toons, but end game is great. There is even a max-level path of advancement.

I just started TERA yesterday with the free trial and bought the Collector's Edition within ten hours. It reminds me of Secret of Mana on the SNES and Kingdom Hearts. Love it!

That said, I would go with RIFT because the startup costs are dirt cheap, Trion has a reputation of churning out quality content at a fast pace, and you did mention having a friend already playing it.

he used to play it..he expressed that he wasnt too sure if he wanted to go back to rift.

Hm, Tera vs Rift. Tough question. I like them both. Tera has nice graphics, optimised engine and great combat system. The combat system and fighting BAMs is the only thing that got me interested in Tera tba. But I more liked the world in Rift.

this evening i found 4 BAM's..being a lancer means if i time my block right its gg for the mob..i will never die..i soloed him down to around 70%ish until someone came by and offered a hand..the world in tera is pretty cool..lol at frog drums..i do sence that a lot of the mobs all have the same abilities though..plus they dont attack as much as you would think so keeping my interest going during the long fights is a little hard..one of the random group mobs i faced only attacked once every 4-6 seconds..but i do give props to the combat system..you get 2-3 on ya at a time and its hella fun.

I have both right now and Rift is by far the better game , I do enjoy the combat in Tera .. but if you notice a reoccuring trend that's all people say about the game and that's it's pretty

The biggest detractor I have for Rift is the gear looks like kinda blah imo everything else though is very well done and in most ways I like more then WoW. One of my favorite things that I wish WoW would ste... incorporate is once you hit max level in Rift you continue to get EXP for everything which goes towards small perks or stat upgrades which you get to choose from - makes doing dailies/dungeons/rifts at least feel like more then just grinding for loot/gold/rep.