10+ Year Old Account

How would you rate my computer?

I recently built a computer, but feel that it is already outdated compared to a lot of the builds I see on here. On scale of 1-10, how strong would you say this computer is, and how future proof is it? If I was going to upgrade something on it, what would you recommend I upgrade first?

Motherboard - AsRock H61M/U3S3
    CPU - Intel I5 2300
    GPU - AMD Radeon 7870 overclock edition from Sapphire
    RAM - 8GB DDR3 1333
    HD - 1TB 7200 rpm Samsung
    Power - 600W 80 plus bronze
    Case - HAF 912

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Crucial m4 128GB SSD will make it feel nto outdated

The 2300 is a pretty poor choice and I am not sure why you chose that over either the i3-2120 or i5-2500k.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hapylol View Post
    Crucial m4 128GB SSD will make it feel nto outdated

The 2300 is a pretty poor choice and I am not sure why you chose that over either the i3-2120 or i5-2500k.
    Well I don't overclock so the 2500k seemed like a waste of money, I wasn't aware that the I3-2120 was considered a better CPU?

I guess I would recommend upgrading to i5 2500k or i5 3570k, really your build doesn't seem bad at all. Allot of the builds you are seeing on here are enthusiast pc's and are going to be overkill.
    1-10, I will give a 8.
    Last edited by Libram; 2012-06-15 at 07:31 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The i3-2120 is decent, but I am not so sure I'd say it is technically better than the i5-2300.... The i5 has 4 real cores versus the i3's 2 real cores with 4 threads.

What would honestly be a nice upgrade, however, would be the SSD hapylol suggested. Just be sure to use one of the white SATA 6Gb/s ports on your motherboard.

(And folks, with an H61 motherboard, don't suggest 2500K/3570Ks... he can't even overclock with H61, he can save the $10-20 on the CPU but the i5-2300 isn't even really all that bad, so meh.)

After all of that, I would rate your computer an 8.5 on how strong it is for what you need it for. Sure you could get a little more strength out of an overclockable CPU, but that would require both a new mobo and CPU, and you have a 7870, so I'd say you're honestly set for at least a few years.

Smart of you to get an H61 board that came with SATA 6Gb/s ports, since H61 doesn't natively support them.

Good

The build is good. But to determine how good it is actually is, you need to compare it with the purpose for which it is intended. For gaming I'll say that it is indeed good although not the best. Good because it can run almost all of the present and future games. not the best because there are other builds that are actually better in specifications.Rate from 1-10 is 8

I'd highly suggest investing in a better motherboard over anything else. Don't skimp out on that. Try one of these instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128542

Deleted
    7-8.
    As said above, a SSD, new motherboard and processor would work wonders, but still a good PC definetely.

Finding even cheap ASRock boards that dont have a little glitter to em is kind of hard deltrus!