New and totally lost

So I never really seriously played this game before, so I was hoping to get some advice as to where the best information was. I was looking through the sticky, and I noticed that some of the information in there was outdated, so I'm having trouble figuring out where the "go-to" place is for builds, guides and such is.

A couple of questions, are there any specific builds that I'm going to be forced to take when I get into dungeoning and raiding? Is it easy for a person to get into the PvE end-game, or are guilds really selective? Are there set rotations like there are in other raid-based MMOs? If so, how do I find information about those?

I really like this game so far, but I would like it even more if I had any idea of what I was doing, lol. Any advice would be appreciated.

The official rift game forums have a guide section for each calling. All the info you could possibly want should be in there!

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...lasses-telara/
    Last edited by Netherion; 2012-06-16 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Atleast about builds and rotations that is. :)

Hey, I'm not really up on the whole guides scene, but I can tell you that in my experience of Faeblight, PUGs and guild runs don't generally care about your gear/spec for the intro content, and getting into HK/ROPT-level gear happens pretty quickly. Generally speaking it's in your best interests to have as many 'utility' roles as you can (IE, if you're a Rogue, have one role be a Bard), but most of the time it doesn't really matter. I like to swap souls based on the fight at hand, but most players don't. Remember that the in-game ui provides you with template souls, including instructions on skill priorities and the like - they aren't the world's best souls, but they're quite good enough for non-cutting-edge content.

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    So I never really seriously played this game before, so I was hoping to get some advice as to where the best information was. I was looking through the sticky, and I noticed that some of the information in there was outdated, so I'm having trouble figuring out where the "go-to" place is for builds, guides and such is.
    Offical forums have active guide sub forums for every class.

If there isn't anything major to a spec between patches the guides default to last major build; 1.7 or 1.8, etc.

A couple of questions, are there any specific builds that I'm going to be forced to take when I get into dungeoning and raiding?
    No. But it will often be the case where you are expected to be able to fill all the roles of your class. That is to say if you are a Rogue, at some point you will be asked to Tank, range DPS, melee dps or support. A mage will be asked to DPS, support or heal interchangeably, a cleric will be asked to do... um, everything because they can.

Is it easy for a person to get into the PvE end-game, or are guilds really selective?
    Depends on the guild. The hardcore progression guilds will naturally be very selective. The more casual guilds less so.

One thing you should make note of is in Rift you don't actually have to raid to get raid quality gear. You can like solo open world stuff, do small group content (5 and 10 man) and so to get equal gear. It's usually balanced around a few key pieces or just taking longer for non-raiders.

But in essence, you can gear yourself up to the highest entry point without being in a hardcore guild. So there is that.

Are there set rotations like there are in other raid-based MMOs? If so, how do I find information about those?
    Yes. Build will generally have an explanation of the rotations and how skill synergize. Because of the way the souls work and the major updates, a lot changes patch to patch in Rift.

Classes are sorta loosey-goosey.

For example:
    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-senticar.html
    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-fae-jolt.html
    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...r-healing.html
    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ns-videos.html
    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...sitor-pve.html

I really like this game so far, but I would like it even more if I had any idea of what I was doing, lol. Any advice would be appreciated.
    It's a pretty great game. Has it's issues like any other. But fun all the same and quite hard to be "bored" with when content is pushed out on a major scale every 45-60 or so days.

Also content in Rift doesn't repeat. A 10 man is it's own instance, in it's own location, with it's own bosses, etc from a 20 man of the same tier. A Water Raid Rift in the open world is not the same as the other Water Raid Rift in the open world. 5 man story, expert and master modes each are different from each other but occur in the same instance with new paths/bosses/etc.

When Trion push out a 20 man, 10 man, 5 man or duo/solo instance- they are all unique.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-06-16 at 05:20 PM.

Much appreciated, everyone. I'm doing a bunch of reading and it's helping me get more comfortable with the game. This is a good start for me. Many thanks!

Flexibility is the name of the game.
    While playing all roles isn't strictly necessary, most decent players will expect you to be able to play them all competently.
    I love playing different styles so this game really suits me, I get to mix up my specs and style on an encounter basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    Flexibility is the name of the game.
    While playing all roles isn't strictly necessary, most decent players will expect you to be able to play them all competently.
    I love playing different styles so this game really suits me, I get to mix up my specs and style on an encounter basis.
    I do too! That sounds very fun. I didn't like how I basically kept the same role in WoW the entire time I raided, so that sounds like a very appealing change. Looking forward to that, especially.

I do too! That sounds very fun. I didn't like how I basically kept the same role in WoW the entire time I raided, so that sounds like a very appealing change. Looking forward to that, especially.
    If playing Warrior you basically only have tank and DPS options. So um, don't play warrior if you wanna switch it up all the time. ;p

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    If playing Warrior you basically only have tank and DPS options
    But, but, but..Warriors get a kitty !!

Ugh. I don't understand how they managed to make the BM cat worse after all these months.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Ugh. I don't understand how they managed to make the BM cat worse after all these months.
    All they need to do is remove the mohawk, and get rid of the "seductive look" eyes they got going on, and it will look much better. In that ss that Slip posted, the kitty's face reminds me of the female worgen.

10+ Year Old Account
    How is warrior tanking? Kinda off topic.

When a wild forum troll appears

Deleted

A couple of questions, are there any specific builds that I'm going to be forced to take when I get into dungeoning and raiding? Is it easy for a person to get into the PvE end-game, or are guilds really selective? Are there set rotations like there are in other raid-based MMOs? If so, how do I find information about those?

I started Rift in november and there was almost only pve guilds even on a pvp server. If I wanted to raid back then, I would have got all the boost I needed to gear up in dungeons, get help with how to soul myself the best way, and probably get a raiding spot as soon as I was geared enough. Extremely helpful community, and probably in need of dedicated raiders =) At least back then it took quite some time and effort getting ready to endgame raid, and more people were not geared than were. I don't know if it's easier and faster now, think some improvements have been made to make it more possible to catch up

Quote Originally Posted by Ricen View Post
    Are you looking for a viability assessment or an enjoyment point of view?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricen View Post
    Excellent? Most Warrior tank options are halfway between WOW Prot Warrior and EQ Warrior. So in terms of gameplay, well... excellent. In terms of fun factor, kinda up to you.

To the OP, id say just enjoy being a complete newb again. Its so much more fun when u dont know were everything is and your able to discover new things. Get into a friendly active guild. Have someone take u around on an "orientation". Lol, i had the pleasure of that one night with a few guildies and me. it was hillarious. Google/Rift forums/Rift Zam are great sources too.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Regarding your question about getting into raiding...

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...on-An-Overview

that's a good rundown of what to run to gear up to reach the next threshold.

I currently switch between 3 warrior dps specs. For each one I have a set of macros (you'll find these for each build), but they generally consist of a single target builder/finisher and an AOE builder/finisher. They're quite convenient until you get more used to the class and its end-game intricacies.
    You can spend a lot of time and money trying to save a little time and money.