Deleted

Korea bans trade of virtual objects

Didn't see anyone reporting on this so here you go.
    Bye bye D3 auction house!

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...29_112964.html

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't believe that is what the article is saying. It's saying, quoting:

For online role-playing games, the law prohibits users from using programs that allow in-game characters to hunt and collect items without the need of a player controlling them. The ministry calculates that over 60 percent of items exchanged on the market were obtained by the use of automatic programs. Such programs and other method are impinging in the way of on-line games’ negative reputation, the government agency said.
    That refers to bots, which in America are already illegal due to violating the Terms of Use.

The ministry said that arcade game businesses that keep books registering items and scores (that can be exchanged for cash) has risen to 1,500 as of April. There were only 50 such businesses in 2009.
    It sounds to me that they're banning the ability to trade in game items for cash or certificates out of game, not that they're prohibiting the ability to use the in-game AH or trading system available.

It won't stop the Gold Ah, but it will stop the RMAH from being used. No idea what will happen, but it essentially makes the RMAH illegal in South Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    That refers to bots, which in America are already illegal due to violating the Terms of Use.
    Bots are not illegal in America. Nor is breaking a terms of use agreement. The only repercussions are those outlined in the agreement itself.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

Korea is banning bots, not banning item trading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

They are banning bots yes, but they are also banning selling in game items for real world currency. While not explicitly stated in the OPs linked article, information relating to this new law has been posted on many sites and in many news articles. The law will cover all botting, but the fines and jail time also cover anyone caught selling an in game item for real world cash.

There have been a few concerns raised about whether the law will cover other aspects of digital item sales, for example Blizzard selling mini pets through the Blizzard store or a large variety of F2P/B2P games which fund themselves through micro-transactions. Currently the information about the law is sketchy, and I am sure some exceptions will be made, but its something of extreme interest that I personally will be following.

I like how making money is considered "wasting time". If something is wasted, it pretty much has no value, and if they're actually able to sell things, I'd say their time definitely has value. :P

I'm all for them being all against botting, though. We must rise up against our digital overlords!
    Once you go troll, you never reroll. -heard on cynicalbrit.com. Epic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Didn't see anyone reporting on this so here you go.
    Bye bye D3 auction house!

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...29_112964.html
    Korea never was going to get RMAH in the first place, and it doesn't change their current AH.

Korea's fairly intrusive, so this isn't even remotely surprising. It is sort of misguided though.

It's limiting for the industry, but I can see the point ... students playing video games as their summer job does sound a bit strange.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.