Deleted

need a new GPU that won't be throttled by my processor

Currently I'm running a AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series.

I have a AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 850 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz.

Now I want to buy a new graphics card but need one that won't be throttled by that processor. I was considering a 670 but obviously that wouldn't perform as well as it could without my upgrading my cpu so its a waste of money buying it. What I want to know is what is the best card I could buy that wouldn't start losing performance because of my cpu?

If there isn't much point in upgrading could someone suggest a new CPU to upgrade to and a card to go with it? I'd prefer to just upgrade my card though as I don't have huge amounts of money spare.

7850 and a cheap CPU cooler so that you can overclock and you should be all set.

Deleted
    I'm always wary with overclocking. I bought the computer form overclockers and they said they could overclock it to 4.4 Ghz if I wanted it but I declined. I think the cooling on it already should be enough as the system was designed with a 4.4 overclock in mind and the current temps never really going above 45-50 degrees even when it's hot in my room and I'm really taxing the CPU.

whats the psu? how much ram have you got? and whats your budget? the 6850 is a step up from the 6770 and isnt alot of money atm

Deleted
    650W PSU, 8Gb ram and not sure about how much im willing to spend at the moment.

scan and ocuk both have an hd 6850 for £85

Deleted
    I'm considering buying something a bit more expensive then upgrading my cpu later, any thoughts?

good plan - although you will (like me actually, since i have an X6 1090) need a new motherbiard as well if you wait till end this year / start next for the cpu upgrade

but

does the machine do what you want it to? an SSD would be a great system refresh (crucial M4 or samsung 830). As for video card , £170 gets you in the range for a GTX 570 (on scan) or a 7850 , a little more for a 7870 (just over £200)

Deleted
    I was considering a 7850 or a 7870. As for the SSD I already have a 60gb one as a boot drive. It does what I want it too but a bit more power from the gpu could be useful.