Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is it legal to perform minor surgery on animals w/o a license?

So, my girlfriend has this cat that is impossible to train to stop scratching even with heavy doses of Pavlovian conditioning and drugs. Virtually the only way he will stop is if his brain is destroyed. It's that bad. But no, I'm obviously not going to harm him or have him euthanized despite his constant attacks (he is always friendly/playful but cannot retract his claws or stop batting). Picture lots and lots and lots of torn flesh.

Problem is: my girlfriend can't afford to have the vet trim his claws on a regular basis. And when she does it, he has gotten an infection before...so...

I am going to declaw him. But she cannot afford to pay someone else to do it.

This is where I come in.

I've found an online journal that details one of the more "cosmetic" procedures for Onychectomy, not the old guillotine version, where they just remove part of the digit. I have a scalpel kit and the means to sterilize it. I have anticoagulants, painkillers, and sleep-inducers all in the appropriate dosage for small animals.

I have steady hands.

I even performed some minor dental work on myself once with great success.

SO my question is: is this legal? I mean, she does own the cat, and my methods would be very humane. So far I haven't been able to find any legislation against this scenario. Does anyone know for sure?

I can't imagine how this could possibly be legal.

Here's a tip for your girlfriend: If you can't afford to take care of an animal properly, don't fucking buy it.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    I can't imagine how this could possibly be legal.

Here's a tip for your girlfriend: If you can't afford to take care of an animal properly, don't fucking buy it.
    She didn't buy it, she saved it from being euthanized at the shelter. It'd just be dead otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jesus christ. Put the cat up for adoption if you can't care for him properly.

Even if it isn't legal, who would find out or care?

10/10 very intelligent post from a smart person

Deleted
    Arguably, declawing can never be humane. It can cause all sorts of issues for the cat considering how they're a natural part of the animal and contribute heavily to their balance and comfort. It baffles me when people get a pet but are then not prepared to accept the downsides that may come with them. I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty certain that it breaches a number of animal rights laws to perform surgery at home, since far too much can go wrong and you would be very unlikely to be liable for any insurance if something did go amiss.

Even if the procedure is expensive, just get your girlfriend to suck it up and shell out for the operation at the hands of a professional, adjust and acknowledge that the cat is how it is...or give the animal up for adoption.

tbh, it's as legal as the person who owns the cat will allow it.
    just don't be surprised if you're ever held for damages caused by what happens anytime through the pets life

Lets put it this way: If you pull it off perfectly, there's no reason for the law to get involved and no reason for you to worry about the law.

BUT... if you screw it up, it's animal cruelty. And get serious for just a second... you're going to screw it up.

Don't do it. Obviously.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't the slightest clue, but I'd say go for it if you know what you're doing. Just don't go bragging about it around town after.

Although, the simplest solution would be for her to just learn how to trim a cat's toenails herself. I clip my rabbits' nails every few weeks. it can't be that different, can it?

I HIGHLY doubt it's legal. I strongly recommend you do not do this. If your hand slips and you have to go the vet to fix it, PETA will be all over your ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JimPaladin View Post
    Not hardly, I just said he was already adopted at the last second to spare his life. He has a problem, turning him out for adoption is a death sentence as no one will ever take him. We're his last chance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Daelin Proudmoore View Post
    I HIGHLY doubt it's legal. I strongly recommend you do not do this. If your hand slips and you have to go the vet to fix it, PETA will be all over your ass.
    For good reason, too. 'I was following what I read on the internet' isn't something that will stand up in court as a valid defence.

10+ Year Old Account
    exactly what this person said. if you cant afford it you cant have it. simple as that. and seeing as you are gonna attempt to do minor surgery on the cat with zero training other than some online post the cat might be better off in a shelter till its euthenised

Honestly, and i am not trolling at all here, but you do not seem like a sane human for even considering this. That or you must be very young. Combined with the fact that you go to a GAMING FORUM as ask permission just seems rather crazy to me.

I would hope your girlfriend realizes this and dumbs you before you harm her, or someone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    I haven't the slightest clue, but I'd say go for it if you know what you're doing. Just don't go bragging about it around town after.

Although, the simplest solution would be for her to just learn how to trim a cat's toenails herself. I clip my rabbits' nails every few weeks. it can't be that different, can it?
    You have a bunny rabbit? That's so fucking cute. I'd own one myself but he would literally kill it and eat it.

Even if you think you can do it you shouldn't. Because you probably can't. Legality depends on your location, I don't think there are any federal animal cruelty laws.

You're in the south right? Animal cruelty laws tend to me lax down there.

But seriously, declawing a cat is inhumane. There's a reason the US is one of the last major countries to practice it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sizzlinsauce View Post
    exactly what this person said. if you cant afford it you cant have it. simple as that. and seeing as you are gonna attempt to do minor surgery on the cat with zero training other than some online post the cat might be better off in a shelter till its euthenised
    Read the thread next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimPaladin View Post
    "Not hardly, I just said he was already adopted at the last second to spare his life. He has a problem, turning him out for adoption is a death sentence as no one will ever take him. We're his last chance." -me 3 posts above you.

If you're having a hard time clipping the cat's claws correctly get a pet claw grinder and start slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    If you're having a hard time clipping the cat's claws correctly get a pet claw grinder and start slow.
    it's not the clipping, it's the removing them completely.

just read my post above, it's not like the cat can ever sue you, but if anything ever goes wrong with the cats feet i'm sure your friend could easily sue you for money if you do it yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Even if you think you can do it you shouldn't. Because you probably can't. Legality depends on your location, I don't think there are any federal animal cruelty laws.

You're in the south right? Animal cruelty laws tend to me lax down there.

But seriously, declawing a cat is inhumane. There's a reason the US is one of the last major countries to practice it.
    Pfffft...The South...I'm a Chicagoite. There is a greater likelihood of legislation here, but I honestly can't find any. As for declawing as inhumane, it's no more inhumane than the act of domestication itself, which I consider to be worse than slaughtering animals for meat. I'm only considering this because it's an extreme case and poses a life or death decision for the cat.
    Last edited by Callace; 2012-06-18 at 08:10 AM.