Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How to determine the price of an item on the AH

How the heck do you set a price on a certain item on the AH? In WoW, eg. you searched the AH for your item, saw the price range and checked Wowhead.

What do you do in Diablo, since, afaik, there is no "Search for this name" funktion or website to check with

You search for the item type with the stats and enter values for those stats and see the prices and price it compared to those.

Deleted
    You search for similar stats. Look at the most important stats on your item which are usually - strength, or int, or dex, whichever is the highest or whichever the item seems geared most for, vitality, all resistance, magic find, gold find, sockets, % life, crit damage, crit chance, etc. Pick the 3 stats which you think people are most likely to be searching for, and input the values in - see what's currently available and get an idea of what yours comes under.

Alternatively if you really can't decide then put it up with a start bid of 10 or 50 or 100k however much is the minimum you want to sell it for... and let people bid on it. Sometimes it ends low, sometimes high, less work for you but also takes the full time to sell, so I personally just price based on what exists already.

As you get used to listing items you'll get used to what sort of values are a good value at level 60 based on what you've previously sold and you'll find it easier

If it's a really good item (1-2 million+) you can also list it on sites like www.diablofans.com and ask on there in the trading forums, that way it doesn't take up a slot and by privately trading you can avoid the fees... but I wouldn't bother creating a thread on there for low value items.

Apparently you find something close to it, then add about 2 million to the buyout.

The absurd prices for some rather unspectacular gear on there makes me chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Apparently you find something close to it, then add about 2 million to the buyout.

The absurd prices for some rather unspectacular gear on there makes me chuckle.
    Some people have begun doing this as a "Hey, look at me!" They put the buyout price at 20 Billion and the bid price at like 100k. The theory being that people look at the buyout price and go, "I wonder what's so good about that item to warrant it's price" and take a look. Theoretically they may follow that up with, "Well, it's not THAT good, but I could use it so I'll bid the low amount."

It's actually pretty annoying. Clutters up the AH for everyone else.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firecrest View Post
    Some people have begun doing this as a "Hey, look at me!" They put the buyout price at 20 Billion and the bid price at like 100k. The theory being that people look at the buyout price and go, "I wonder what's so good about that item to warrant it's price" and take a look. Theoretically they may follow that up with, "Well, it's not THAT good, but I could use it so I'll bid the low amount."

Too bad we can't sort by bid or time remaining.

Usually, this is how it goes: Find good piece with three stand-out stats. Enter those stats on AH, find out good item is, in truth, garbage item. Vendor and repeat.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Firecrest View Post

Tried and tested psychology tbh. Put a massive buy-out and anchor a value to the item then give the person an option to get it a highly discounted price and people think they are getting a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakazam View Post
    Tried and tested psychology tbh. Put a massive buy-out and anchor a value to the item then give the person an option to get it a highly discounted price and people think they are getting a great deal.
    Except that I would assume most folks limit their searches on whatever buyout they can afford, so these items don't even hit the radar screen.

The problem for me is i will find an item with 3 very good stats. So I search based on those stats and what I am given is about 50 pages of items with similar stats or stats slightly or crazy better then my item.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Usually, this is how it goes: Find good piece with three stand-out stats. Enter those stats on AH, find out good item is, in truth, garbage item. Vendor and repeat.
    Totally true. Found an item like that. A weapon with good stats. Searched the exact stats it had, found that there were some on buyout for like 10k, on an item I swore was worth a lot more. Didn't vendor it though, if you've got the room, might as well get the extra money.

What I wish were possible, though, is to search by dps for weapons. Also, searching for four stats instead of three.

Deleted
    The way that I do is I try to learn the other classes and the type of gear that they like. Then I try to learn what are average stats and high stats. Armed with that I can already estimate what the price of the gear is. Then I do a search on the AH and look for pieces with slightly lower stats. The reason for that is that the difference between the prices of a 156 Dex item and 140-150 Dex item can often be pretty wide.

Sometimes you have to do a little digging, due to the limitations of the AH but I try to find what items with ballpark similar stats are going for. Then I usually subtract maybe 5-10% off that and put it up. I do this with most of the gear I sell, all the way up to something like a 1mil BO. With such gear I tend to go to trade forums, e.g. d2jsp.org or official trade forums and try put my item up for there bidding. However, in all aspects the gear should be pretty outstanding to be bothered with the trade forums, since you have to appreciate the fact that forums are always crowded and is in everyone's best interest if you didn't put up all the garbage you have on the forums, where they will only disturb the sales of the really good items.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Totally true. Found an item like that. A weapon with good stats. Searched the exact stats it had, found that there were some on buyout for like 10k, on an item I swore was worth a lot more. Didn't vendor it though, if you've got the room, might as well get the extra money.

What I wish were possible, though, is to search by dps for weapons. Also, searching for four stats instead of three.
    Yeah, I think I finally got a good roll and there're better items up for 5k lol!

But when I want to sort by DPS, I click on the actual DPS header over the listed items. And just narrow it down by lowering my max buyout.

For weapons dps is the most important stat by far. Other stuff is just icing.

For armor pieces, one single major stat (int / dex / str) is best - more than one and it's wasted. Past that, resist all, magic find and vitality are all good stats. The amount of each is what really determines value. The closer to the maximum possible value of each stat, the higher the quality of the rare. I don't think about AH'ing rares without at least 3 good stats, but if there are only 3 they should each be near their max.

There are exceptions. Rings and amulets sell well even with poor stats - they just sell even better with good stats. Blues can sell as well, if they have the right prefix and suffix - but unless they're very high damage weapons, you probably won't want to waste your time unless you have less than 10 items for sale and won't be playing again for a day or so because they don't fetch too much gold.

I would not base it on what other people are selling theirs for. For every item listed at its actual worth, there are seemingly 10 items which are garbage and listed for the same or more. I assume there are 10 which are listed at a lower price as well, but AH botters clean those up before those of us who go by the rules even see them most times. Still, you can get a good deal here and there if you're lucky.

This brief synopsis is nowhere near complete, there are other factors like crit damage, ias and armor, depending on the class the item is suited for. There are also specialty stats for certain builds (cough cough overnight gold farming) such as thorns. But hopefully you have a better idea now. If all else fails, set what you think is a moderate starting bid and leave no buyout price.
    Last edited by Trotheus; 2012-06-19 at 09:04 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Except that I would assume most folks limit their searches on whatever buyout they can afford, so these items don't even hit the radar screen.

Not always, like I don't use a buyout price when looking at weapons so I can see them ranked in order of overall DPS and not what-I-can-afford DPS.

Yellows and Blues can be a bit tougher to price since you have to put in the stats but for legendaries just type in their name and search.

Sold an Andarials Visage for $60 that way. Searched it, and scanned every one of them in the AH until I found one similar (I had a Dex one, but low end), saw the first dex one and undercut. Same goes for Gold AH, just put in the top 3 stats of the item, and a number roughly similar to those on the item itself (go a bit lower) and find an avg price.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

You search for the item type with the stats and enter values for those stats and see the prices and price it compared to those.

Quote Originally Posted by Trotheus View Post
    For weapons dps is the most important stat by far. Other stuff is just icing.
    its really not.

a socket with +70% crit dmg makes up for huge amounts of dps

1000 dps weapon with no real useful stats <<<<<< 800 dps weapon with 100 int and a socket (assuming wiz/WD)

Or you could make it a bid only auction and let people determine how much it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakazam View Post

That's the American way. The NEW Ford Mustang, MSRP: 42,986. On sale for $36,999. Even though there is only $5,500 worth of materials and labor in it. In my best Yakov Smirnov voice, What a bargain!
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?