Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Pay for stuff I LOVE to play, torrent everything else is my motto.
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodenkrieg View Post
    Fair enough. Honestly I wasn't even old enough to handle my own money until the PS2 and on. My point yet still stands, with vast improvements in technology and economic inflation. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to only spend 40-50 on a title as much as any of us, but its kind of unfair to assume and expect them to lower prices, when everything around us is forced to go higher. Its not really their fault... back in my day, we used to spend 40-50 on a video game, and back in my grandpas day he only had to pay a nickel for gas. its the way the world works, welcome to an economy.

That stated, I totally agree with your second response. Honestly anyone who disagrees with freebies in a new copy really needs to look into their monsterous self entitlement issues.
    Why not? A lot of games cost 30 and even up to 40 euros more on console than on PC. I understand a small difference, but when I can buy a new game for 30 euros on PC and 60-70 on console...than guess what I'm gonna get.

I'd still play console if it wasn't so expensive. People say PC cost much, well I'm pretty sure I've made most of my money back on buying PC games. I laugh at my friends when they saving up money to buy 1 title on their PS3 while I buy that title + another for the same amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Why not? A lot of games cost 30 and even up to 40 euros more on console than on PC. I understand a small difference, but when I can buy a new game for 30 euros on PC and 60-70 on console...than guess what I'm gonna get.

I'd still play console if it wasn't so expensive. People say PC cost much, well I'm pretty sure I've made most of my money back on buying PC games. I laugh at my friends when they saving up money to buy 1 title on their PS3 while I buy that title + another for the same amount.
    Youre also dealing with more a limited market. Not to say the PC market isn't booming, but for Some people, me included, cant handle running the games on my computer that someone else may be able to run on theirs(Crysis, Metro 2033). A game I buy for Xbox is going to run the exact same as it runs on your xbox. There is no minimum/maximum setting, because it just runs at normal . There is a lot more factoring into a PC game, and a lot of people cant hit the mark with their rig. Not to add that most computers are constantly degrading, most only having a few year shelf life. My PS2 runs like the day I bought it.

I've always assumed that a 10 USD price difference is only here to make up for the loss of playerbase, and loss of quality forced upon people lacking a top end rig.
    Last edited by Hodenkrieg; 2012-06-19 at 10:55 PM.
    Your face when the Scoundrel is Gallagher.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm usually not one for market intervention by governments, but I feel if Game Companies could collect royalties off of used games (say, 10%). All of this would go away.

Hell, forget the government idea. Why can't places like gamestop just get together with the game industry and work something out. Gamestop gives 10% of all used sales, the companies stop trying to come up with ways to cut them out completely.

[QUOTE=Caiada;17232655]The 60 dollar price tag only came about in the new generation. Games in the prior generation were 50, and most PS games I recall buying were 40 save for a few special ones.[COLOR="red"]

Annnd here we are with the simple mistake of economic change...

Relatively, the price has always been "60 bucks," minimum wage raising, various costs of life, etc.
    In fact, I think the virtual boy was...600? When it came out or, something along those lines. That's 600 back in the late 80s early 90s...

Quote Originally Posted by Stormtrooperz View Post

Relatively, the price has always been "60 bucks," minimum wage raising, various costs of life, etc.
    In fact, I think the virtual boy was...600? When it came out or, something along those lines. That's 600 back in the late 80s early 90s...
    I'm aware. I was pointing out what they costed unadjusted. Games were more expensive back when cartridges were in use (and before the N64), declined both in real and adjusted price after CDs became popular, and leveled out afterwards.

[QUOTE=Stormtrooperz;17234601]
    Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    The 60 dollar price tag only came about in the new generation. Games in the prior generation were 50, and most PS games I recall buying were 40 save for a few special ones.[COLOR="red"]

from Virtual Boy's wikipedia article...

It was released on July 21, 1995 in Japan and August 14, 1995 in North America at a price of around US$180
    Even still, we are learning to do more with less, as technology advances. Original VCRs were thousands and they didn't fall below that for well over 20 years. On the flip side, Blu-Ray players released in 2006 for 1000, and 6 years later I can go get one for 80 bucks, if not less.
    Last edited by Hodenkrieg; 2012-06-19 at 11:22 PM.

Deleted
    Game companies didn't profit of used games because they didn't want to. They could have cut deals with the shops to refurbish the used games (like maybe providing manuals for those games missing them, or a new jewel box), they could have set their own 2nd hand retail points, they could have even made programs for users to mail them their used games in exchange for points or whatever.

Another strategy that the videogame industry seems to be blissfuly ignoring is their diffusion and penetration. They could add advertisements and then encourage 2nd sales hand and even piracy, to increase its diffusion and hence the advertisement revenue.

While I think it's everyone's right to do what they want with what they've bought, there's a difference between cars and videogames. Cars get worn out, videogames usually don't. If you buy a used car instead of a new one, you'll be more likely to end up with preformance issues, but if you buy a DRM free game second hand, you won't have any problems unless the previous owner used his disc to pick his teeth with.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ara View Post
    While I think it's everyone's right to do what they want with what they've bought, there's a difference between cars and videogames.
    Yes, it is your right

I'm curious as to when a consumer group is going to think "enough is enough" and take someone to court for their circumvention of the spirit, though not the letter, of this law.

Quote Originally Posted by ara View Post
    While I think it's everyone's right to do what they want with what they've bought, there's a difference between cars and videogames. Cars get worn out, videogames usually don't. If you buy a used car instead of a new one, you'll be more likely to end up with preformance issues, but if you buy a DRM free game second hand, you won't have any problems unless the previous owner used his disc to pick his teeth with.
    On the opposite side of your anology, the way I see it is I'd rather be safe than sorry, and the difference is 5 dollars. 5 bucks for peace of mind in the quality of my game is worth it in my opinion. A car on the other hand would be a price difference of hundreds if not thousands of dollars. Kind of different, unless you are making insane money IRL

Nope, since Nintendo isn't doing it: http://www.zeldauniverse.net/gamingn...ntent=FaceBook

PC/Nintendo >>> Xbox/Sony

Deleted
    I'll be honest, I haven't bought a used game ever. I guess I liked the feel of a new game and these days I mostly buy digital and then there are no used sales. I understand why developers and publishers want to get rid of it though, every used game that is resold is a loss of revenue for the developer and a cash-in for the retailer. If they can erase the retailer middle hand and go 100% digital I think we would all be better for it, but for one thing. Right now a retail copy isn't cheaper than a digital copy, which makes no bloody sense. The digital copy is just server space, the retail copy is physical space that costs money (rent of the location where it is stored), needs to be manned by employees that cost money, needs to be printed on a disk which costs money and has to come with a box, manual et al that also cost money. The digital copy is by comparison nearly free for the distributor, but that isn't yet fully evident when it comes to the prices of the games.

By all means, eliminate the used games market and go full digital eventually, if game prices are lowered across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by vanin View Post
    I'll be honest, I haven't bought a used game ever. I guess I liked the feel of a new game and these days I mostly buy digital and then there are no used sales. I understand why developers and publishers want to get rid of it though, every used game that is resold is a loss of revenue for the developer and a cash-in for the retailer. If they can erase the retailer middle hand and go 100% digital I think we would all be better for it, but for one thing. Right now a retail copy isn't cheaper than a digital copy, which makes no bloody sense. The digital copy is just server space, the retail copy is physical space that costs money (rent of the location where it is stored), needs to be manned by employees that cost money, needs to be printed on a disk which costs money and has to come with a box, manual et al that also cost money. The digital copy is by comparison nearly free for the distributor, but that isn't yet fully evident when it comes to the prices of the games.

By all means, eliminate the used games market and go full digital eventually, if game prices are lowered across the board.

I would absolutely agree that it makes sense why they want it gone, and I understand their outlook on it. I don't think digital only would be the way to go, but I don't think their current ideas are really that hot either.

I know plenty of people who like to lend games to friends. Often times in my circle, a lent game is really only a trial, if the game lives up to one of our expectations, others trying it would make them buy it, and usually in the case of a multiplayer, the good word of myself and 1 of my friends will result in an explosion of 4-6 more people buying to play with us.

In this sense, I think that their current methods, or digital only would be bad.

Albeit, I feel that used retailers wouldn't necessarily be missed (personal feelings, Im sure there would be outrage ending in some turning away from consoles permanently) But I feel that a complete lockout of a CD, or 1 purchase = only for 1 person isn't the way to approach it.

Deleted
    Buy the humble indy bundle, buy from GOG. Vote with your wallet. When people stop paying $60 for AAA titles that contain DRM that only afflicts the legitimate user (pirate copies have DRM stripped out) and instead buy from developers that don't put DRM on their games, then they will have no fallback, they can no longer blame piracy as game are still being bought from developers that don't treat consumers like thieves.

Games w/o DRM can be sold on (assuming you delete it from your computer) as many times as you like. We've just got to show them that they have to play our game, not us theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by slipn View Post
    Why is it that I can buy a used car/home and no one seems to look down on it. While I myself have only bought 2 used games ever I dont understand why people look down upon it. Every single other thing out there it is ok to buy used but for some reason these video game companies believe they are special.
    theres a huge difference between buying a used home or car compared to a used video game. first off the difference in price, a used car or house compared to a new one is huge but the difference between a new video game and a used one is tiny, hell gamestop is STILL selling the gba pokemon games for only 3$ less then retail price was at my store and those games are over 5 years old. if used games were half price or less then sure id have no problem with it, id rather someone support the people who gave created the game but id understand it 60$ is alot for a new game, but when the difference is only 5 to 10$ then no thats just somebody being cheap not to mention who knows what could be wrong with said game or if it even has a guide book inside the case or if its even in the right case not to mention the fact that what those stores give for those used games is awful i mean right now gamestop is offering 60$ for used 3ds and then they go and sell them for 15$ under retail price.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by RuyzakiaPCG View Post
    I think what a lot of people forget is that the price of new games is 60 dollars because of companies like gamestop, Gamecrazy and other second hand retailers. The gaming industry loses a large amount of money per year just in used games sales (they get zero profit from it.) So, they have to increase the price due to the loss of sales to make up for it. (As well as recession, value of USD dropping. Etc. )

I think if this whole locking out used games thing goes through, it might actually be good. Obviously currently some flaws with it. (Unable to go to your friends house and bring your own copy, ect. Have to haul over your console. ) But once the minor kinks are worked out then well, I think this could work for the better.
    Recession and USD dropping don't seem to have as much of an impact (hardly any) compared to all the other factors in the gaming industry. I remember paying 60-80 dollars for games on my PS2 over a decade ago.

I don't play console games much anymore, and don't play much besides WoW because of time issues actually, but the biggest crime I've seen happen in the gaming industry is the cost to rent games now. When I first got my playstation 1 I was renting games for about 3.50-4 dollars for 7 day rentals. Last time I went to rent a game (which was admittedly over 6 years ago) it was 14.80 for a 7 day rental. I can't tell you how many times I was a kid and rented games MULTIPLE times because I loved the game. I also can't tell you how many times I rented games to try them out, loved them and then went out and bought the game. Renting was something that was extremely important to my gaming when I was a kid. Even though I had money then (well I didn't, parents were well off), there is no way I would have been paying almost 15 dollars to rent a game, just as there is no way I'd be willing to do it now. At 15 bucks for a 7 day rental (maximum of 7 days), it's not even worth it to rent anymore. Maybe I'm so far removed from console gaming that I just don't get it and that renting games is no longer a big thing. or the place I went to rent from was just completely fucking insane, and if that's the case sorry for the rant haha. But renting games was a HUGE part of my gaming growing up.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I am ever forced with no other option to only buy purely digital games because game companies feel they are losing money then the universe must be destroyed and start over once more.

The things GameStop and other stores do with used copies of new releases and how they and the game companies don't work together is beyond stupid, however things like DRM and preorder digital bonus content DLC(unless that DLC/preorder is for something so incomprehensibly stupid that I wouldn't even want it in a game to begin with, like Danica Patrick in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed SERIOUSLY WHAT THE FUCK I WILL KILL EVERYONE!!!) is to me one of the greatest possible sins to be committed within the multiverse and for which I view as punishable in the form of as many deaths as there are stars.

I buy games new when its something I want, however I don't want to feel like I am being forced to buy something new as soon as it comea out so that I get all the content, and if the future completely kills my ability to go back and play games I missed out on from a system generation ago because of this conflict then ALL LIFE MUST BE EXTERMINATED. It pretty much killed 95% of all my interest in PC games and God help the universe if the same happens to consoles. Hell I would pay TRIPLE for new games if it meant no DRM/DLC preorder nightmare filth.

So yeah the death of used gaming would potentially cause me to go insane with blood lust and rip out the throats of innocents in a spectacular blood bath of gore, terror and urine for which a national day of mourning shall be spawned from for decades to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechazod View Post
    If I am ever forced with no other option to only buy purely digital games because game companies feel they are losing money then the universe must be destroyed and start over once more.

The things GameStop and other stores do with used copies of new releases and how they and the game companies don't work together is beyond stupid, however things like DRM and preorder digital bonus content DLC(unless that DLC/preorder is for something so incomprehensibly stupid that I wouldn't even want it in a game to begin with, like Danica Patrick in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed SERIOUSLY WHAT THE FUCK I WILL KILL EVERYONE!!!) is to me one of the greatest possible sins to be committed within the multiverse and for which I view as punishable in the form of as many deaths as there are stars.

I buy games new when its something I want, however I don't want to feel like I am being forced to buy something new as soon as it comea out so that I get all the content, and if the future completely kills my ability to go back and play games I missed out on from a system generation ago because of this conflict then ALL LIFE MUST BE EXTERMINATED. It pretty much killed 95% of all my interest in PC games and God help the universe if the same happens to consoles. Hell I would pay TRIPLE for new games if it meant no DRM/DLC preorder nightmare filth.

So yeah the death of used gaming would potentially cause me to go insane with blood lust and rip out the throats of innocents in a spectacular blood bath of gore, terror and urine for which a national day of mourning shall be spawned from for decades to come.
    You would make a good Dalek.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Don't think I have bought a used game since the SNES days. So, no. Not worried about the state of used games, to be honest.