[Build Help] It's Hot Up in Hurr' (Ivy Bridge)

Planning on buying a new build in a month, but I've heard some problems about the Ivy Bridge. People keep saying it runs too damn high. Are the ivy bridge heat issues going to be a problem at all? Are there any evidence to debunk the claims of it running to hot. I only plan to do a moderate overclock maybe to 4.3 ghz. Would I be able to achieve that with the Ivy Bridge. If not is it worth going down to a 2500k.

Regarding the GPU. I might buy a used GTX 580 from a friend, If not I might buy a 460 or a 560 TI. Im not too into AMD since I've always had bad problems with them.

My understanding is that the 2500K overclocks better and as it's cheaper most people seem to advise to get that instead of the IB variant. Current reports are that IB doesn't OC quite aswell as SB does.

Also I would advise going for the 128GB version of the crucial M4. 64GB is just too small for the main drive in my experience i.e. after a while you will have to actively manage it. Also the 128GB isn't much more price wise.

The IB has more performance per clock though right? So a lower overclocked IB can be equivalent to a higher overclocked SB?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonlust View Post
    The IB has more performance per clock though right? So a lower overclocked IB can be equivalent to a higher overclocked SB?
    From my understanding, yes.
    Just want to have really good cooling and you'd be fine.

The problem arises from a smaller die and inferior TIM inside the chip packaging itself. The chip itself uses less juice, it just can't get rid of the heat as well as a SB chip can.

As long as you don't increase the voltage, IB should run as cool or cooler than SB, and does give a SLIGHT increase in performance-per-clock (think 3-10%.)

Agreed on the SSD size with Rhyseh, though, a 120-128GB SSD is really really cheap on Newegg.com these days. It's not worth getting a 64GB drive for $89 when you can get the 128GB version for $125. Or $79.99 if you feel like rolling the dice with OCZ.
    Super casual.

So long as you keep the vCore under 1.35V (is enough to take you to 4.5GHz on most samples) you shouldn't have any real heat problems.

Currently running a 3570k at 4.0 Ghz with no temps ever over 60 Degrees. Air cooled with a Havik 140 cooler. I might go a bit higher on overclock soon.
    I dont think you should worry much about temps unless you want 4.5ghz or more-
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

So keep the Ivy and get a bigger SSD?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonlust View Post
    So keep the Ivy and get a bigger SSD?
    Probably a good option

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I've read, the extreme heat curve doesn't really start until you get to the extreme range on overclocking ~4.5ghz+. If you arn't planning on clocking that high, then IB is fine, and you get the increased performance of it. If you really plan on pushing your core that high, then def get the Sandy Bridges.

Yeah I'm planning 4.3 ghz