Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Weird phone call

In the 2 last week, we got around 4-5 calls, all from the same number (in a rush of picking up the phone, not thinking about writing the number down). Now, today i had a call from "Microsoft".
    The first few calls were all the same; you pick up, hear nothing. Then you hear 'Goodbye' in a female computer voice and the call is over. Checking when your home perhaps?
    So i did a little search around 2 days ago and found a site where people had the same thing (1 site only, sadly enough).
    Apparently the latest scam to hit the UK comes down your phone line from someone who is pretending to be from Microsoft in a bid to dupe people out of their cash for saving their computer from suffering a fate worse than death.

According to an article over on Techeye, a report over on The Guardian reports the scam is simple, you get a call from someone with an Indian accent asks for the householder and tells them “I’m calling from Microsoft.”

The scammer then goes on to say they’ve received reports from their ISP of “serious virus problems” from the householders PC then goes on to predict the end of life as we know it if the problem isn’t solved. Then the householder is asked to open the program “Windows Event Viewer” which shows an abundance of errors which falsely gets the user to trust the fake caller.

Naturally the Microsoft fake then directs the user to a website to download a program which will allow the caller to remotely take control of the PC and supposedly fix all the problems after which the caller requires the user to hand over £185 for subscription to the supposed “preventative service.”

According to the Guardian article this scam has been running since 2008, but has worsened after being run out of call centres based in Kolkata. On a final note if you receive a phone call from someone claiming to be from Microsoft, don’t fall for it because Microsoft never calls anyone.
    Knowing this when i picked up the phone (i knew i had to write it down, but the phone was being loaded so pick up, and you answer the call...Damnit)
    I saw a quick 0016 (America?), said hello and got a accent speaking english person. Said he/she was from Microsoft. So i said 'F*ck off and never call again'.

Our phone cannot recall numbers, or 'save' them so you can just find the last few numbers that called if you answer the phone.
    The phone company cannot block a number unless you inform the police and get a statement (i think that's the word) for stalking (according to the website).
    My mom who works at the police said that this was nothing they could work with, so that is out of the question.

What can we do with this?

Website. Most of it is in dutch tho...
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Strip naked, cover myself in butter and go kick some ass

There is not much you can do besides either hanging up on em or telling em to go rot in hell or something similar.

I have this exact thing happening to ourselves at home here. Best thing to prove wether it is real or not is ask them for your ip addy as they claim to have all their info through this. They will never know it so give out no info.

They then dl crap to your system to find out all your info like cc details

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Do what I do to telemarketers and some of my friends.

"Hello sir or madam, this is Special Agent Aspersion with the Federal Bureau of Investigation special phone watch division, Be advised we are recording all phone calls, how can I help you today?"

You would be shocked how few phone calls you will have after a month of answering like that.

Deleted
    I used to get called by retards like that all the time. But I haven't heard from them in a few months. I love having fun with these guys.

Just pretend to be a really stupid person and waste their time. I sat on the phone for 30 minutes with one woman once, eventually I got bored and couldn't think of more shit to spew to make them stay on the line so at that point I just told them to fuck off and that I knew exactly what they were doing. I basically just sat there for half an hour on my sofa going "how do I open the start menu? nothing is happening!". Making the whole thing the most drawn out and unnecessary process of their life.

"type in run in the little search bar"
    "Rum? Type rum into the search bar?"
    "no.. run"
    "Is there alcohol in my computer? is that why you're calling me?"
    "No, Run. ARE. YOU. ENN. RUN"
    "oh.... Run. Why didn't you say so"
    "if you just type that into the search bar"
    "I thought I was typing rum? Why"
    "Yes type run"
    "So I'm typing rum? Or run?"
    "Run."
    "okay. I got you now. You were really confusing me before"
    "It must be the phone connection" (nope they were indian)
    "Where's the search bar?"

And so on and so forth.
    Seriously, just have some fun with them. They're fucking idiots. Don't feel bad about doing it because they're trying to steal from you after all.

Deleted
    When I get calls like that I try to initiate sex chat with them, they soon hang up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporky0 View Post
    Seriously, just have some fun with them. They're fucking idiots. Don't feel bad about doing it because they're trying to steal from you after all.
    Yeah, i might do that.
    The microsoft 'person' will probably not call anymore. I'm more concered about the 'goodbye' phone call.
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Strip naked, cover myself in butter and go kick some ass

If you're in the UK, just dial 1471? :\

Alternatively
    Last edited by Palmatum; 2012-06-20 at 11:43 AM.

Deleted
    Ive also had a phone call that was nothing but silence for several seconds and the in a really monotone voice, a woman saying 'Goodbye'. At which point I expected an assassin to kill me or blow up my house or something. It was pretty scary/funny lol.

And safe to say everyone I told about it that day laughed their ass off at me.

Seeing a couple of the posts above me though I might start trolling these cold callers, sounds like a laugh.

I just ignore the first few class, then I

A. Angrily explode on them, "Don't ever call here again!" etc, etc.
    B. Have fun acting stupid (This one if my favorite method).
    C. Completely waste their time.

Sometimes I just pick up the phone and say random things, the last one who called, I answered the phone and pretended I had a terrible english-chinese accent (Herro? Who is ris? Rou are carring because of virus? Oh, no, no, we no make virus at Hong Kong Sushi!" and hung up). Usually stuff like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like to toy with them, and waste there time, my fav is
    Operator : it seems your current windows has internal virus(Indian voice)
    Me: oh is that so
    Operator : yes we can fix it using remote access, but you also need to pay for this service, i can direct you too a website to setup pay options
    Me : thats pretty damn nice of you, but the only thing that bothers me is i dont own a computer
    Operator : no dial tone

Deleted
    Well something similar happend to me, they called me almost every day, and then in the end they said they were from an company and talked a bunch of bs saying that i have downloaded illegal stuff, in the end i said

i will find you and i will kill you ( im serious, )

then they never called agian

Deleted
    Answer "Hello this is the Apple store"
    ????
    Profit

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by I Knew It View Post
    Ive also had a phone call that was nothing but silence for several seconds and the in a really monotone voice, a woman saying 'Goodbye'. At which point I expected an assassin to kill me or blow up my house or something. It was pretty scary/funny lol
    I have to say, the first time this happened to me I was a little worried.

This thread better keep going. I love reading stories of how other people troll these cunts. If only because they don't call me any more so I don't get the chance to do it myself =[

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Why are things like this still occuring. If you don't give them any info they can't do sh*t
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sporky0 View Post
    I have to say, the first time this happened to me I was a little worried.

This thread better keep going. I love reading stories of how other people troll these cunts. If only because they don't call me any more so I don't get the chance to do it myself =[
    I dont get why people get worried of these things, i promise you im not a person that lets ANYONE off, i will search for him/her until i find them, cast of your fear, tell em your going to kill them next time with a serious voice ,

And yeah i also want this post to keep on going

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Why are things like this still occuring. If you don't give them any info they can't do sh*t
    Because a lot of people are still very, very stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Because a lot of people are still very, very stupid.
    It's not so much a matter of being stupid so much as people just not knowing better. I guess you could make the claim that that IS stupid. Old people are get hit by scams all the time. Not because they are stupid, they just don't understand fully how modern things work sometimes.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rixuraxu View Post
    Answer "Hello this is the Apple store"
    ????
    Profit
    I have a Mac, and the one and only such call I've had about this "Windows" issue was while I was while using it, between Windows laptops. I think I kept him on the phone for near an hour putting it down while telling him I was trying to do what he was asking me. Haven't had any such calls since I canned my land line in favour of a VoIP phone, sadly.