Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I write stories.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

Quote Originally Posted by bany View Post
    careful with this or people might burn you and you might be sacked

I hate having nothing to do, since i can`t read a book or play video games (someone might see)
    but i much rather yawn and browse forums than having no scheduale always standing up
    Shouldn't be an issue as long as you're readily available immediately, not loitering on the page to finish the paragraph before you reply or whatever.

Let me help you: www.reddit.com

Solves all of your "too much time" problems!

Deleted
    Learn to use Photoshop, learn some programming at home (well, at work), draw random stuff, start writing a book, write poetry, play flash games with no sound, start some painting, paint the lobby in a nice colour, walk in circles around only stepping on black titles (only if the titles/carpet in room has a pattern in two colours), watch tv online, listen to radio, send messages to friends etc.

Work in an IT room and there is a lot of down time. Initially, I started on MMOC and guild forums. Then I expanded out to reddit and reading Google News.

While still doing the above items as I come in, I now have been focusing on learning anything and everything I can. I am more adept in politics, car maintenance/upgrades, health issues I/family are facing, etc. I even do some day trading and such now, when time permits.

I also have been getting more certifications under my belt and improving myself as much as I can, no better time than now.

The only downtime i have is my lunch hour, so i get out of the office for that time. While im working i spend 99% of the time wishing that one of the many many job aggregator websites i have my CV posted at would come up with something i actually have a cat in hells chance of succeeding at.

usually browse mmo-champ, facebook, wow server forum that i play on, digg, cnn
    I work from home so I usually get a decent 1-3 hour nap in during the day as well

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a desk job as an intern in a u.s senators office..... i cried

im 21, had a 30 min commute to work in traffic so i complained about traffic and had a desk job... i felt like i was already 40

15+ Year Old Account
    Be glad you have a job. I'm still looking for part-time and/ or summer work.

Leave the computer alone, read books. Buy a Kindle.

Arthur Conan Doyle and P G Wodehouse are a great start.

Wow... what some of you guys do at work is pretty much all that i do in my free time... When i am at work i actually have to work

Deleted
    This would annoy me so much. I hate finding ways to waste time which are limited/discreet, when I could be using that spare time elsewhere with freedom. Much rather have a shed-load of work to do, even though the pay wouldn't be affected. But then again I'm probably judging too early on what it would be like, because I have yet to experience a job like this, due to the job market availability demanding 100 seniors for every 1 junior position.

I would love any of these jobs. Damn classes get in the way of wonderful 9-5 jobs so i can never take them, but I should be done next semester.

My advice is pick up on a hobby or computer skill or any other skill that relates to what you want to do for a career or study in. If I had your job I would be drawing nonstop.

I dream of a job where I have that much free time. Unless I'm doing what I love.

On my slow days I usually just browse the web or do crosswords.

IT jobs have a habit of alternating 12 hour days running at 200%, and days where you do maybe 2-3 hours of actual work.

I don't get "free time", but if there aren't any super pressing IT matters to attend to I'll read some more IT books, learn a new program, practice coding or something that directly affects my work in some way.

Some jobs don't require any forward thinking, but some could benefit from it in some way.

Usually read some history/astronomy/random articles on Wikipedia or any site that is not blocked (really few, work in the legal department of a big bank).

How do you go about finding a receptionist job with 7 hours of free time? I live in the US btw.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by freeti View Post
    How do you go about finding a receptionist job with 7 hours of free time? I live in the US btw.
    Usually nightwork.

How would you go about getting a day job that provides you with free internet time most of the time?[COLOR="red"]

---------- Post added 2012-07-01 at 07:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    I wear headphones and watch a lot of YouTube videos or StarCraft II streams, also do a lot of the same things you listed: browse MMOC, look at various "funny" picture sites
    How did you get the job? Just trying to figure out easy ways to get a receptionist job. Can't think of a much better way than to type "receptionist" on Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Steingerd View Post
    The only downtime i have is my lunch hour, so i get out of the office for that time.
    Me too. I try to go for a walk every day, or at least get out for lunch. Helps clear my head and restore perspective when I jump back into the fray again.

10+ Year Old Account
    work in a logistics company as ocean exports. i have no free time. at all...ever during work. Well i should retract that. sometimes i take a 20 minute break and buy a 5 dollar coffee at starbucks.

i do however get up every 45minutes or so and pass out papers from the printer(im not required to do this i just have to or i go stir crazy)- i HATE my desk job. im not capable of sitting still too long. Im working on getting out (w/a second BS in nursing )

after work? I run almost everyday. and i do play video games (yes i still get up every 45 and walk around, get water/snack)