Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Play with my Nook.

Or if I'm lucky enough to have my laptop, play with Inkscape.
    Putin khuliyo

Whenever I get down time (which is rare but does happen on occasion) I check and respond to personal email, or usually get ahead on the work to come. If i need to stretch my legs ill take a walk around the office and chat with some coworkers face to face about their opinions on business releated matters.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Play with my Nook.

Or if I'm lucky enough to have my laptop, play with Inkscape.
    What is your job? How do you get the job?

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    front desk at a hotel. Lot of time just sitting surfing the web, at work right now responding to this. Tv here in the lobby so sometimes try to find something to watch. Used to work the night shift 11pm-7am and would probably do about an hour of work and was able to do whatever i wanted the rest of the time. Played wow,online poker, watched a movie, made myself some food. Sometimes friends or GF would come and hang out for a bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freeti View Post
    What is your job? How do you get the job?
    It's not technically a desk job. I am a reservist aerial porter at Westover, I (un)load cargo and passengers and perform fleet service to military aircraft (mostly C-5s.) However, Westover isn't very busy so there's a lot of downtime between missions where I'll be sitting at a desk, pretending to be doing web based training.
    Putin khuliyo

I work 9 - 5:30 in a semi quiet helpdesk (however when shit hits the fan, I'm on the road physically fixing stuff).

My day is usually filled with:

Checking MMO Champion
    Checking DayZ forums
    Texting
    Checking Facebook on my phone.
    youtubing random music for the office (although my tastes differ!)
    Twitter. This consumes most of my time - I find a lot of varied yet interesting people to talk to from all over the world. Means there's always someone awake to chat to!
    Emails etc.

From time to time I remotely connect to my home machine and buy/install games through steam. Start of massive MMO patches. etc

I work for the State Government. I don't have "free time"

My day is filled with paperwork. Mountains of it. I'm not being sarcastic, I work 95% of my shift.

Network Engineer here.

Usually busy as shit but when there's a rare hour to relax, I usually go take a walk or browse Redflagdealsforums

How did you get the job? Just trying to figure out easy ways to get a receptionist job. Can't think of a much better way than to type "receptionist" on Indeed.
    I'm not as receptionist, I'm the only IT Support Technician for a small bank, some days (like the last few) I'm swamped, other days the entire 8 hours will go by and I'll only work 1 hour total.

Quote Originally Posted by vrsick View Post
    front desk at a hotel. Lot of time just sitting surfing the web, at work right now responding to this. Tv here in the lobby so sometimes try to find something to watch. Used to work the night shift 11pm-7am and would probably do about an hour of work and was able to do whatever i wanted the rest of the time. Played wow,online poker, watched a movie, made myself some food. Sometimes friends or GF would come and hang out for a bit.
    How do you beat the competition to get the night auditor job?

---------- Post added 2012-07-03 at 09:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by haliber View Post
    I work 9 - 5:30 in a semi quiet helpdesk (however when shit hits the fan, I'm on the road physically fixing stuff).

Checking MMO Champion
    Checking DayZ forums
    Texting
    Twitter. This consumes most of my time - I find a lot of varied yet interesting people to talk to from all over the world. Means there's always someone awake to chat to!
    Emails etc.

From time to time I remotely connect to my home machine and buy/install games through steam. Start of massive MMO patches. etc
    What is the job title? How do you get a job like that?

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    I'm not as receptionist, I'm the only IT Support Technician for a small bank, some days (like the last few) I'm swamped, other days the entire 8 hours will go by and I'll only work 1 hour total.
    How frequent are the days when you have 1 hour work days?
    If you had to do a rough estimate, what is your average actual work time per 8 hour shift?
    Last edited by freeti; 2012-07-04 at 02:02 AM.

My daily routine of unemployed is : check facebook , MMO-champs , youtube ( try to find new bands of music) , fail 95% at finding a new band, listen to what i already heard , Get a good hour or two of kijiji in the job section, check facebook again , MMO-champs...

So remove the kijiji part and it would probably be my routine at work.

How frequent are the days when you have 1 hour work days?
    If you had to do a rough estimate, what is your average actual work time per 8 hour shift?
    1) At least a few times a month, sometimes several days in a row.
    2) It really depends on the day... If I had to average it across all days (i.e. including the 1 hour work days and the 8 hour work days), probably 5-7 hours.

Deleted
    90% of my workday is spent browsing forums and playing games.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played WoW and MTGO, but I had an office with a door that locked. The downside, no one knew what I did or who I was, because I only left the office to smoke. I even told my minions to work from home so I don't deal with them.

But, they took my office and working from home is even better, will be getting double xp in Tribes in just a little while. Will be listening for the email chime as I ski to shoot someone in the face!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyJoe View Post
    let me guess... Unemployed.
    British army Infantry Officer.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is this free time you speak of? My desk jobs have generally involved more work than there were hours in the day to do it. (Jobs ranged from CAD operator to CSR to company-wide tech support to code monkey.)

10+ Year Old Account
    cry in a corner

How do you get that job? Is it in the US?
    Quote Originally Posted by haliber View Post

Checking MMO Champion
    Checking DayZ forums
    Texting
    Emails etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmry View Post
    I've been a receptionist at a quiet business for 6 months now, and it seems as time passes on theres less and less things for me to do. Every morning I make tea and coffee, update Facebook Business pages statuses when I first get in and ask folks at the water-cooler if there is anything I could help with. I've partially done tax returns, sort and file shoe-boxes full of receipts, cleaning, photography, video and other odd jobs included market research. I get an average of one visiter visiter a day who I greet warmly and help direct them where they need to go and keep of log of who they and what period of time this is.

The above paragraph identifies one hour of my eight hour shift monday thru friday. I do more than I can to feel helpful, and my boss is grateful for this but believes I could make a career out of my social media skills if I go back to College. In the meantime, I need to recover my funds from a previous college if I want to go back to school - so desk job it is, since I can't for the life of me find any other work, damn tiny town .

In my free seven hours i often browse Facebook, MMO Champion of course, WoW Forums and look up unfunny videos of cats and other silly things, maybe even play a game of Drawception if I am really bored. I'd like to expand and share a list of things I can do with out being too obvious if a co-worker walks by and sees my chuckling or obviously playing a game. We do not have a networker monitoring me, and I have my own Laptop that is game capable, I get excited with the idea of farming on WoW but i think my guild-mates and friends on realID may get after me D:
    Teach yourself to program. Maybe learn Visual Basic for Applications to start with and offer to help people in the office automate their processes.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!