Page 1 of 20
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    My location is irrelevant to your interests

Do you have a genetic/mental disorder?

Hi, so I wanted to make this thread for people to talk about their differences in terms of genetic or mental disorders. I'm very depressed atm because I just found out I have something called klinefelter's syndrome. It's basically a genetic disorder in which I won't fully develop into a man.

You can also comment if you have suspiciouns or if you simply don't like something about yourself, what makes you stand out in society?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaInsane View Post
    Hi, so I wanted to make this thread for people to talk about their differences in terms of genetic or mental disorders. I'm very depressed atm because I just found out I have something called klinefelter's syndrome. It's basically a genetic disorder in which I won't fully develop into a man.

You can also comment if you have suspiciouns or if you simply don't like something about yourself, what makes you stand out in society?
    Sorry to hear that. I'd recommend finding a community online to talk to other people with Klinefelter's. It sounds silly, but it can really help.

I'm clinically depressed and just reading other depressed people's posts is surprisingly helpful.

Everyone I know can be considered clinically depressed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Sorry to hear that. I'd recommend finding a community online to talk to other people with Klinefelter's. It sounds silly, but it can really help.

I'm clinically depressed and just reading other depressed people's posts is surprisingly helpful.
    It surely is, and I actually have signed up for one and just waiting for verification. But it's also very interesting in reading about other peoples abnormalities (is that the word?)

Aspergers. Makes socializing a lot of work.

I want the world to be as I ''view'' it.

There you go. Insane on all levels

Deleted
    I'm extremely, extremely good looking to the point where I cannot leave my house without being mobbed by members of both sexes.

10+ Year Old Account

Before I say anything else, I want to mention that anonymous forums are a dangerous place to post about mental illness. Someone who is suicidal, for instance, may receive insensitive cruel comments, leading to their following through the act. There will be very few people with real understanding, and no doctors moderating the forum or to give accurate medical advice. For this reason, I suggest that you block this thread. There are a number of websites designed for this purpose; I go to them myself.

But...for the sake of sharing. Psych major, almost 3.9 GPW, 2 courses from completion had a massive Bipolar breakdown and could no longer attend school. I tried working, but I was too much of a mess so that didn't last. My husband and I had to decide to no longer have kids, after wanting them our whole lives. Until recently, I was too depressed to move the majority of the time. WoW was all I had. But...without a job I don't have the money to keep up my subscription, or even food for that matter, so now all I have are these damned forums lol. That's life I guess. These days our income is $30 less than rent...just trying to get by borrowing from everyone.

So you're definitely not alone, and I give you my sympathies. Just be careful; too many vulnerable people who can easily be triggered to keep control in a forum like this.

Trichotillomania, basically an anxiety disorder :S localized to my eyebrows and eyelashes, mainly. ie: those are the areas I tend to 'worry' which means I have to draw in my eyebrows to fill in the gaps.. and wear lots of eyeliner to make my eyes seem less fnarky.

Also tend towards panic attacks when around new people/crowds even if I know those present. I can go out in public, it's the socializing aspect that tends to set it off.
    Last edited by Mshaylle; 2012-06-20 at 03:06 AM.

I'm an agoraphobic (one who fears many things, or in some cases the outside world in some cases.), goes hand in hand with anxiety with terrible panic attacks (Rapid heart beats, and fear of being lost and no way to get to a safe place.)

However, lucky me I have a girlfriend who knows what I'm going through, and sees past it all. Been happily together for well over four years.
    Last edited by MikkRees; 2012-06-20 at 03:00 AM.

Flat feet, I can't stand up for extended periods of time with out loads of pain.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Cystic Fibrosis here. Genetics are fun, aren't they?

10+ Year Old Account
    Depersonalisation and Depression.
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirse View Post
    Before I say anything else, I want to mention that anonymous forums are a dangerous place to post about mental illness. Someone who is suicidal, for instance, may receive insensitive cruel comments, leading to their following through the act. There will be very few people with real understanding, and no doctors moderating the forum or to give accurate medical advice. For this reason, I suggest that you block this thread. There are a number of websites designed for this purpose; I go to them myself.

But...for the sake of sharing. Psych major, almost 3.9 GPW, 2 courses from completion had a massive Bipolar breakdown and could no longer attend school. I tried working, but I was too much of a mess so that didn't last. My husband and I had to decide to no longer have kids, after wanting them our whole lives. Until recently, I was too depressed to move the majority of the time. WoW was all I had. But...without a job I don't have the money to keep up my subscription, or even food for that matter, so now all I have are these damned forums lol. That's life I guess. These days our income is $30 less than rent...just trying to get by borrowing from everyone.

So you're definitely not alone, and I give you my sympathies. Just be careful; too many vulnerable people who can easily be triggered to keep control in a forum like this.
    I didn't really think about that, but I suppose you're right. Let's just hope that is at a minimum.

Also that must be tough with what you're going through, my sympathies!

I didn't really think about that, but I suppose you're right. Let's just hope that is at a minimum.

Also that must be tough with what you're going through, my sympathies!
    Just report any such posts to the mods and they'll get the banhammer in short order.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Flat feet, I can't stand up for extended periods of time with out loads of pain.
    I have the same problem lol. But I've heard it usually disapears with age, let's just hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Just report any such posts to the mods and they'll get the banhammer in short order.
    Yeah the mods are here for a reason aren't they? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    A quick read on the subject, I would tell you to keep your chin up, and hope for the best instead of expecting the worst. What I read seems to say that there is a high chance that no symptoms will present themselves, meaning unless you start to present some of the severe signs of klinefelter's, that no one will even know but you.

I have psoriasis. I have had plaques on my skin to varying degrees since I was around 16. I also have suffered from depression for about 5 years, though it could be bipolar, I have never been clinically diagnosed with with bipolarism.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirse View Post
    no doctors moderating the forum or to give accurate medical advice
    There are a lot of intelligent people here. Medical knowledge, be it physical or psychological, isn't exactly lacking.

OT: I have severe depression, slight survivors guilt, possibly have multiple personality, problems with anxiety, and who knows what else. I also have Polycystic Kidney Disease, and very awful lungs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mykro9 View Post
    A quick read on the subject, I would tell you to keep your chin up, and hope for the best instead of expecting the worst. What I read seems to say that there is a high chance that no symptoms will present themselves, meaning unless you start to present some of the severe signs of klinefelter's, that no one will even know but you.

I have psoriasis. I have had plaques on my skin to varying degrees since I was around 16. I also have suffered from depression for about 5 years, though it could be bipolar, I have never been clinically diagnosed with with bipolarism.
    Thanks, I hope you're right! The obvious things that people might think when they look at me is large hips and narrow shoulders, but I'm still debating if I should take testosterone supplements as that has its risks aswell.

Also that's the first time I heard about psosiaris, but I think it's the worst if you find out about that kind of stuff in your teens, as the world just seems to break down on you.
    Last edited by BananaInsane; 2012-06-20 at 03:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Aspergers. Makes socializing a lot of work.
    Same also have anxiety. :/ Though I do have a good amount of friends to talk to. And i'm starting to get better with socalization