Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

how do you guys deal with facebook?

for the last few years, actually ever since Facebook became popular, i've been struggling with either the concept, the website or the users. for years i was not even thinking about making a facebook page simply because of security and privacy reasons. then people started to use it to share images, videos and messages for their fans. OMFGCATA, Yogscast and a few others were the most notable once. the messages also appeared on Twitter, where I followed them, but at the start, i couldn't even see them because facebook didn't want to show content to people who aren't logged in. then later, they showed it to non-members, but had an obnoxious nagging screen that begged you to log in every 30 seconds. then it actually worked well. you could see it, and it stayed visible without the nagging screen. but recently, they fucked it up again and now, every time I try to read a facebook post, i barely have time to even have it load before a broken pagelet appears and i just get a white page.

a different issue was that more and more companies were using Facebook for advertisements, promotions and giveaways. I felt like they were discriminatory to people who didn't have an account, and that my point of view that facebook should be optional was swiftly becoming untenable. in fact, a few months ago i succumbed and made a profile, but i would only use it for participation in promotions and giveaways, because that's basically the only reason i would want to use it for.

I'm gonna be blunt here: every day facebook is getting worse and worse. companies are forcing you to use it or miss out on stuff that used to be done via a form on the company website. even if it works, Facebook is slipping away from being a social medium and getting closer to just being a cesspit of advertisements, circle jerks of similar opinions and other worthless crap I don't want to deal with in my free time. and sometimes, it just isn't even doing what it's supposed to do, i.e. display the images i got linked to. in those cases, i wonder who the hell releases such nonsense without even adequately testing it. I'm getting more and more frustrating with the website, and i'm not even using 5% of what it's capable of.

so i ask you, how do you deal with the nonsense Facebook does? because honestly, i cannot even remotely believe that i'm the only user out of 800 million who has to deal with this crap. i'm more likely to be contacted by an actual nigerian prince that isn't a scam.

I use it for the sole purpose of talking to people. That's how I deal with it.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k 3.4GHz | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3-1866 | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB (2-Way SLI) | Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45
    Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler; 200mm Fans x3; | Case: HAF 922 | PSU: Corsair Pro 750W

80+ FPS in Raids on Ultra. Stay mad.
    This setup no longer hits 80+ FPS in raids on Ultra. Stay sad.

I don't even have one. If you're really my friend or someone I otherwise care about, you'll have ways to contact me other than Facebook. I don't need a bunch of random people I went to school with to know specific details related to my last bowel movement or what I'm doing right now.

Deal with what crap, I get updates from my friends, whats bad about getting information from people I care about?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

I don't have one nor do I need one. The people that I actually want to talk to know how to get a hold of me.

And don't say they're being discriminatory and they're forcing you to get a Facebook. Offering free giveaways is not forcing people to make a Facebook.

Ya it sucks that they won't use their own websites/forums for these things but thats just the way it is I guess.

Well....yeah.

Businesses use it to advertise. That's a huge purpose of fb.

Liking Riot on Facebook gives you a free champion, and people will see that you liked Riots page and will be like "huh, I should check that out!"

Generally, the promotions are pretty meh. If you absolutely don't want an fb account but want to use fb services (odd), you can make a fake one.

Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    Facebook is slipping away from being a social medium and getting closer to just being a cesspit of advertisements, circle jerks of similar opinions and other worthless crap I don't want to deal with in my free time.
    So, you mean it's like every other website on the internet that has grown to a community in the millions?

I simply use it to stay up to date with series, music, books and movies...got a grand total of 13 friends.
    "No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lvtwo/advanced

10+ Year Old Account
    Facebook, what is that? I use forums or I talk to the people I want to talk to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to see information on there, then just get facebook. It doesn't mean you have to use it, but just have it in existance so you can see the content you want to. It won't kill you, pwomise.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just use it. Advertisements have never really bothered me and I have actually talked directly to several of my favorite companies through it and found plenty through it, so while Facebook itself has some really shoddy policy regarding privacy and what-not, that does not mean there aren't any good things about the website.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

for the last few years, actually ever since Facebook became popular, i've been struggling with either the concept, the website or the users. for years i was not even thinking about making a facebook page simply because of security and privacy reasons. then people started to use it to share images, videos and messages for their fans. OMFGCATA, Yogscast and a few others were the most notable once. the messages also appeared on Twitter, where I followed them, but at the start, i couldn't even see them because facebook didn't want to show content to people who aren't logged in. then later, they showed it to non-members, but had an obnoxious nagging screen that begged you to log in every 30 seconds. then it actually worked well. you could see it, and it stayed visible without the nagging screen. but recently, they fucked it up again and now, every time I try to read a facebook post, i barely have time to even have it load before a broken pagelet appears and i just get a white page.

a different issue was that more and more companies were using Facebook for advertisements, promotions and giveaways. I felt like they were discriminatory to people who didn't have an account, and that my point of view that facebook should be optional was swiftly becoming untenable. in fact, a few months ago i succumbed and made a profile, but i would only use it for participation in promotions and giveaways, because that's basically the only reason i would want to use it for.

I'm gonna be blunt here: every day facebook is getting worse and worse. companies are forcing you to use it or miss out on stuff that used to be done via a form on the company website. even if it works, Facebook is slipping away from being a social medium and getting closer to just being a cesspit of advertisements, circle jerks of similar opinions and other worthless crap I don't want to deal with in my free time. and sometimes, it just isn't even doing what it's supposed to do, i.e. display the images i got linked to. in those cases, i wonder who the hell releases such nonsense without even adequately testing it. I'm getting more and more frustrating with the website, and i'm not even using 5% of what it's capable of.

so i ask you, how do you deal with the nonsense Facebook does? because honestly, i cannot even remotely believe that i'm the only user out of 800 million who has to deal with this crap. i'm more likely to be contacted by an actual nigerian prince that isn't a scam.
    Hahahaha. Well man all I can tell say is that you go lookup what facebooks value is...I don't agree with anything you said. And I'm 50% sure you're trolling....

I don't use facebook, I have phone. If I need to talk to someone I call them and vice versa. I don't need an update every time someone does something stupid or petty etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    i deleted that shit because i was sick of always being on it and reading stupid things that didn't have anything to do with me at all. I would always find my self looking at Facebook on my phone even if i didn't want to, Thus i had to delete it.
    "BC was a hot chick that took alot of work but was rewarding in the end, Cata is the drunk chick that supplied similar results with less effort." -couldnt have said it better.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Give up trying to understand her, women tend to handle problems with emotion rather than logic.

What do you mean deal with it? Just close your profile dude. Or just don't log in unless you want to make specific contact with people and make it clear you're not online. Or just log on to see if anyone needed to tell you anything and don't pay attention to the other crap.

How is this a problem?

10+ Year Old Account
    I deal with it by not using it. I made an account there years ago. I only used it for like few hours before the whole thing started to feel so ridiculously redundant. I have no idea what my account name or password is anymore, and I don't care.

Just make a facebook account and don't include any personal information that you don't want other people to know about. I only use mine for the promotional reasons and to occasionally chat with some friends but that's about it.

10+ Year Old Account

The companies working with Facebook don't owe you another way to get their content. If you want the content, you're either willing to make the facebook account to get it or you aren't. Complaining about not being able to get at the content that's being delivered through Facebook without having a Facebook account is silly.

I do have an account, but I rarely ever log in. I pretty much use it to get in touch with friends from back home in California occasionally, or to tell people what I'm up to when I travel internationally. I'm not really all that worried about what the evil corporate mega-giant is doing with that information.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I don't use it. Hasn't caused me too much trouble. There have been things I've wanted that were only offered by some sort of facebook participation. I have a facebook account under an assumed name with no friends that I used for that. I've logged onto it maybe a dozen times, haven't done so in ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheckameohs View Post
    I use it for the sole purpose of talking to people. That's how I deal with it.
    This. People complain about the users on Facebook all the time, but if you don't want to see their shitposting then just delete them, or don't add people who annoy you in the first place. You won't ever have to worry about it.