Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New revolutionary CPU cooler. 30x more efficient!

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/new...ent_cpu_cooler

This CPU cooler is almost ready for retail availability. Would you buy one?
    Last edited by Lemonlust; 2012-06-21 at 08:39 PM.

Dat sound >< Sounds like massive coil whine

Looks pretty interesting tho! Could be pretty big if they can optimize it!

From their prototypes they said they were able to get cooling 30x more efficient than standard air coolers

Looks like the centrifugal pump that you get in high-pressure water cannons

Deleted
    If it works like they say it does, and it's simple to make, I see the CPU manufacturers using this as stock design actually. It's not much bigger then a stock cooler and if it performs better then, well yeah, it's a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Looks like the centrifugal pump that you get in high-pressure water cannons
    yeah it's the same system, I only wonder how the heat transfer works exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonlust View Post
    From their prototypes they said they were able to get cooling 30x more efficient than standard air coolers
    "they say is up to 30 percent more efficient than traditional models" % not x.

And hardly revolutionary. "Novel" is the word the article uses. The biggest difference between this cooler and current after market air coolers is instead of the fan and heat sink being separate individual pieces, the heat sink is rotated as the fan would be. The heat sink IS the fan.

An old idea. They just figured out how to do it cheaper, quieter, and more reliably.
    Last edited by openair; 2012-06-21 at 08:55 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Very interesting design, the coil-whine type sound is pretty annoying though, but if it is in a computer chassis that is ~3-4 feet away from you, I really wonder how much you could hear it then.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    the problem is that it doesn't offer anything new over current technology, although, i do find it funny that they try to claim it resists dust

i dont think that sound is something we would hear, after all they are spinning it relatively fast on an exposed motor. as you saw when they turned the motor off there was no whooshing air sounds as it was coasting

It looks pretty good

15+ Year Old Account
    Even if it does not compete with complex water cooling solutions and high end air cooling, it will still be a very relevant product for those who want a M-ITX build.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kailtas View Post
    Even if it does not compete with complex water cooling solutions and high end air cooling, it will still be a very relevant product for those who want a M-ITX build.

maybe, but they really are trying to re-invent the wheel, they are basically making a rotating mass to give slightly better performance over a stock cooler, when there is no need, small watercoolers and most heatsinks are more then capable of our current needs, and this is really a bad design when you look at scaling, it offers no improvement for a stock CPU, because the stock cooler is more then enough if you are not overclocking, and the rotating design can't scale up enough to offer anything for overclockers

so they have made a CPU cooler which looks more expensive to produce, that does not have a market

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    30 percent more efficient than traditional models

traditional = stock? i'll stick to my noctua NH-D14 for a long time

P.S. 1337 posts :P

15+ Year Old Account
    What i am saying is that if their 30% increase claim is true, it's small size will be a viable solution for those who want smaller builds and still OC their CPU. But until proof is provided i will be skeptical myself.

What does 30% more efficient really mean? 7/10 the temperature?
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Could also mean 30% more air shifted.

10+ Year Old Account
    coulds also mean 30% less area but same temps

I'm curious as to whether it can operate vertically. Seems to me that the mass would have severe implications if it's not sitting close to horizontal.

What if the case it is in gets knocked? It takes a gouge out of either operating surface which is then so much particulate metal in your PC?
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

stick your finger in that i dare ya

Deleted
    They display it horizontally, but how about vertical placement (which is much more traditional)? My guess is that having that spin at ~2000RPM in a vertical placement would not end well as it would strain the bearing due to it's weight. He also talks something about it lifting (?) from the actual motor, which would mean that a vertical placement would be impossible. Also, it being in-audible? I'm skeptical (and no, turning the motor off and letting it spin down is not viable as a sound test - that's like turning a car off and let the wheels spin and say "hey, my car is silent!").

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    They display it horizontally, but how about vertical placement (which is much more traditional)? My guess is that having that spin at ~2000RPM in a vertical placement would not end well as it would strain the bearing due to it's weight. He also talks something about it lifting (?) from the actual motor, which would mean that a vertical placement would be impossible. Also, it being in-audible? I'm skeptical (and no, turning the motor off and letting it spin down is not viable as a sound test - that's like turning a car off and let the wheels spin and say "hey, my car is silent!").
    All of these points I was asking in my head but wasn't sure if I'd sound stupid or not. Now that I see others are wondering the same thing, it tells me that I was silly to not just go ahead and ask. lol

(In regards to the vertical placement.)
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water