Monitor not getting signal from computer, computer also giving 3 quick beeps.

I have a problem with my main computer. After cleaning a majority of dust in my computer, (using a compressed air canister) my computer would no longer get a signal from my monitor or any monitor I tried, even switching up HDMI and VGA cables. After restarting my computer after trying a bunch of different methods, it started to produce 3 quick beeps after the initial beep after turning on the computer.

Everything before cleaning the computer itself was fine, just my computer itself was slowing down a bit and I thought cleaning it would fix the problem, but it seems like I did more harm than good.

Any insight to my problem? I suspect my video card has fried, but I have no idea how it happened, nor a replacement card to see if it makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Frimelda View Post
    I have a problem with my main computer. After cleaning a majority of dust in my computer, (using a compressed air canister) my computer would no longer get a signal from my monitor or any monitor I tried, even switching up HDMI and VGA cables. After restarting my computer after trying a bunch of different methods, it started to produce 3 quick beeps after the initial beep after turning on the computer.

Everything before cleaning the computer itself was fine, just my computer itself was slowing down a bit and I thought cleaning it would fix the problem, but it seems like I did more harm than good.

Any insight to my problem? I suspect my video card has fried, but I have no idea how it happened, nor a replacement card to see if it makes a difference.
    You prob. have dust in ur memory or video card, take them out and try to clean them, a simple pencil rubber will do the job. good luck.

I had that when I built my first computer, turned out I only plugged in 1 of 2 power cables that it needed connected to it. Specifically, the POST you are getting is 1 long beep, 3 short beeps (you said 3 short beeps after the initial beep), which indicates a problem detecting a video card. Make sure there were no additional power cables that you would have had connected to it (would be a 2x3 pin connector).

The first beep is the initial start-up beep, then after a little bit where it would normally load up the bios and such, it makes 3 quick beeps, then I can just shut the computer down without holding the power button.

Also forgot to mention, I didn't detach any part of the computer while cleaning it, if that makes a difference.
    Last edited by Frimelda; 2012-06-21 at 11:51 PM.

Dust can settle to cause an issue with a video card even if you didn't remove it. Your best bet is to re-seat the card after removing it and dusting it and it's port. Keep in mind, that using a compressed air canister can cause issues if the computer isn't unplugged. The air blowing from said canister can become liquified (even if it isn't very noticeable to you) and wreak havoc on parts. They make very cheap PC vacuums you can buy at any "PC-ish" store that are much safer to use. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastlane_hellscream View Post
    Dust can settle to cause an issue with a video card even if you didn't remove it. Your best bet is to re-seat the card after removing it and dusting it and it's port. Keep in mind, that using a compressed air canister can cause issues if the computer isn't unplugged. The air blowing from said canister can become liquified (even if it isn't very noticeable to you) and wreak havoc on parts. They make very cheap PC vacuums you can buy at any "PC-ish" store that are much safer to use. Good Luck.
    Thank you for the reply, I'll have a look at the card and such. When I was cleaning the computer, i completely unplugged everything and cleaned the machine on a clean table, so I hopefully didn't do anything with the canister.

So you think maybe the canister might have liquified and wrecked something?

---------- Post added 2012-06-22 at 12:54 AM ----------

Sorry for double posting, but now after the initial start up beep, I get 2 regular timed beeps as it's loading up, so i have no idea what that entails to.

If it helps, this is my computer, as it was a gift, but a pre-built (I have not changed anything internally)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883113121
    Last edited by Frimelda; 2012-06-22 at 01:01 AM.

I found the problem, apparently my TV (which I was using as a monitor) blew my HDMI slot or something, and now I have downsized in monitor, and now I'm stuck on VGA cables, but it works now.