Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Do people not want to work anymore

I run a business and I need part time help, nothing very physical or demanding, mostly help me lift+hold objects and hand me things when I ask for them.

In 9 months I have not found anyone that wants to work and is capable. I try and treat people decent, will even make sure they have something to drink and I'll cover lunch.

Had one (in 40s) that could keep count or track of things, couldnt keep parts numbered 1-5 in order, always on cellphone and said "I need this job because I cant pass a drug test"

Next person in 40s again, keeps talking on cell phone, cant keep track of parts and keeps trying to start messed up conversations with customers. No ride

Another in 20s, never shown up or returned calls.

Someone 30, currently unemployed, thinks he is worth $15/hr minimum in cash.

Someone in 40s, cant work on Fri/Mon since its a holiday weekend, going to stay home and drink

Someone in late 20s worked for about 2 weeks then does not show, doesn't answer, found out his mom (who he lives with) bought him D3 and he plans to make a living off RMAH. No ride. Always complained about pay thinking he was worth $12+/hr including the time you spent taking him to/from work

Someone in early 30s calls right before he is going to start, sick, next time sick again, gave one more try, called in sick again. No ride.

I end up in the position of doing jobs myself, I manage with a bit of anger, awkwardness and some pain. I make more money but this gets damned frustrating and I dont know how long I can push myself.

Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    I end up in the position of doing jobs myself, I manage with a bit of anger, awkwardness and some pain. I make more money but this gets damned frustrating and I dont know how long I can push myself.
    Where are you looking for your employees? How are you presenting the job? What type of work is it, anyway?

What's the job exactly?
    If this many people quit, it can't be too ordinary, or it's pretty physically demanding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try to change the way you advertise.... there are plenty of people out there working hard. I'm halfway through a trial period for a potential new job, and after four 10 hour days in a row of pure mental and physical strain pushing myself hard, I'm still interested in it. There are people out there, you just need to find and reach them.

Highschool/College students are generally speaking very good workers as it's typically their first job.
    Shuttle of Illidan

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    No one wants to work a S**** job for minimum wage. Hell I wont get out of bed for anything less than $18 an hour. And it better be 40 hours as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look for younger people, late highschool to first or second year at college. it sounds like the job is a pretty good summer job and with summer being here theres a fair amount of people looking for smal time work. Try changing your target a bit and see if that helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, what precisely is the job, how much are you paying, and where are you advertising it?

If it's manual labor (which it sounds like it is), only pays $8/hr, and is only listed on Craigslist, then I'm afraid you're going to be getting the dregs of the labor pool.

I'm in my mid 20's seeking manual labor for months now. I'd wager you aren't looking in the right places.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Where are you looking for your employees? How are you presenting the job? What type of work is it, anyway?
    Mild construction/repair work. I let them know may have to get up on a ladder, deal with spiders, etc. Let them know its part time depending on how jobs are sold.
    Found most my people through networking with people I know, looking for someone who is ok or prefers part time work for whatever reason. Upfront that if you find something else thats good no hard feelings.

Hell i would kill 4 a job like that, 2 bad i am not in ohio doesnt sound that bad

15+ Year Old Account
    To answer the Title question: Who want's to work at all, anyways?

To respond to your post: You're not recruiting the best candidates it seems. Maybe refine your interview process. Look at job history more and call references.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    No one wants to work a S**** job for minimum wage. Hell I wont get out of bed for anything less than $18 an hour. And it better be 40 hours as well.

So if you got nothing else lined up to make money you would rather stay in bed and make $0 over go out and make $100 for a days work?

Where in ohio? I'll come work for you lol

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    To answer the Title question: Who want's to work at all, anyways?

To respond to your post: You're not recruiting the best candidates it seems. Maybe refine your interview process. Look at job history more and call references.
    Just to expand on that... some of the best employees I've ever hired were young people (18-25ish) with very little work experience in my field. But I promise to show them the ropes if they work hard, and mostly they do. That I can't pay them as much as they want right away, but we can talk about the pay in a couple months if they prove themselves, etc.

You have to sell the position to get good people, just as much as the person you're hiring has to sell their qualities to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    someone expects big time wages for little time work. welcome to the real world, some people actually realize minimum wage is better than unemployment.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

Quote Originally Posted by Taliesyn View Post
    If it's manual labor (which it sounds like it is), only pays $8/hr, and is only listed on Craigslist, then I'm afraid you're going to be getting the dregs of the labor pool.
    I do garage door installs/repair, its not that hard most of the time, not like roofing or framing.

$8 is what I started at doing this, I learned what to do, got good at it and got to where I am now. It beats the call center work I used to do.

I start at $8/hr, if someone catches on and does good I'll bump them up, more if they get where I can trust them to do things solo so I can go out of town for a day if needed, things recover and grow more maybe more potential. I dont pay someone for the to/from trip to work if I have to drive 20 mins each way to the other side of town to pick you up and the same to take you home, someone took offense to that.

maybe you're not looking in the right places? I've actually been trying to find a job for awhile now, and there's no way I'd expect $15 a week personally unless the job demanded it (meaning extremely back-breaking labor, I wouldn't consider lifting say 20 lb boxes all day or driving a forklift worth $15 an hour). personally I've been trying to find a job that pays well enough for me to leave my means, and you can live on just a little more than minimum wage (although it's difficult).

where in ohio is your workplace at? I live in cincy myself, if it's close by down here maybe I'll look into it (then you could say you found someone on mmo-champ! haha).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logonov View Post
    someone expects big time wages for little time work. welcome to the real world, some people actually realize minimum wage is better than unemployment.
    Or maybe, in addition to that.. some people want to actually work and do something important in their life instead of just sit around hoping the right chance comes along. Being involved in a job is an extremely mentally healthy thing, and I'm very certain that, in the long run, those who have worked hard through their lives are happier for it than those who have dallied their lives away.

My father was in a similar circumstance. He needed a part-time driver to haul septic waste. It would have been (roughly) six hours a day, three-four days a week. The only requirements were a CDL license and a copy of the applicants driving record. Eventually he gave up as most of the applicants couldn't be bothered to fax him a copy of their driving record. The few that did wanted unrealistic pay ($20+ an hour).

In the end I think it boils down to this...

Giving a choice would you rather work or have it handed to you?

Think about it...the Government has made it easy to get by on "assistance" without working. Unemployment, food stamps, cash assistance, utility assistance, health care. Sad as it is to say, many people fall into these programs after a run of bad luck, and become dependent on them.