Deleted

Is booting windows with more than 1 core usefull?

Hello all!
    Yesterday i was reading a post which gave you some tips on how to improve the performance of windows 7. And i saw a very interesting point. Windows by default starts Windows with only 1 core, and you can set it up higher depending on which CPU you have. My question is, will setting this to lets say 4, affect the life of my processor?
    Also, i boot windows from an SSD OCZ Vertex 3 ( 500Mb write & read ), if i set this higher, will it actually make any difference in the time it takes to load windows?

Here is a picture of what i am talking about just in case i did not explain myself properly.

Thanks!

Deleted
    Did some reading about it, seems some people with long slow boot times (in the order of 120+ seconds) are experiencing performance gains. I guess it's worth trying however be careful - some people have broken their Windows by selecting the wrong number of cores, e.g. including hyperthreaded cores by mistake.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by albser View Post
    Windows by default starts Windows with only 1 core, and you can set it up higher depending on which CPU you have.
    This is false. Windows uses all cores by default (with the option unchecked). In fact this option does the opposite - it's meant to limit the number of cores Windows uses in case of some problem with your CPU.

Here's some more info:
    http://www.withinwindows.com/2008/08...with-msconfig/

If you have an SSD and a modern processor you will be at the desktop within 20 seconds anyway (including POST time).

boot up time is directly linked to how much useless garbage you have trying to load up. slim down what you need and performance will improve.
    Systems with and without multi cores will be limited by access times and transfer rates from storage.

My SSD system take longer to go through the boot up from power up to OS hand off then is does to finish loading the OS.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I have used that option previously and it did improve the startup time by a noticeable amount.
    It is obviously not using all by default.
    Windows is using all cores by default.

Noticable, as in you measured it with stopwatch from the same starting condition (i.e. power-on boot both times and not power-on boot vs reboot) or it just "felt" faster? Did you perform both types of boot just once or many times? Did you measure the startup time with the same option many times and were they the same or different?