Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    who cares if somebody is fat or they smoke? jesus christ, people need to stfu and let people live their life without harassing them because they do things that they personally don't like. unless a smoker is standing there indoors blowing smoke in your baby's face and refuses to move, its none of your business if they smoke or not and commentary on it is completely unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post
    Smokers can damage other people's health by doing their bad habit around other people, which is obviously selfish.

The worse a fat person could do would be some form of smothering or crushing accident, which would be unfortunate but a very unlikely accident.
    The fumes that come out of a vehicles exhaust as it passes you by has wayyyyy more poisons than a cigarette or cigar eh. So if you walk down a busy street you just smoked the equivalent of a few cigarettes after a few of breaths.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CryptFiend View Post
    Soo after walking to get a pack of cigarettes this Obese woman told me cigarettes were bad and that it would make me die young.

Why is it easier to criticize a smoker than a Fat person.
    There are disorders which really mess with some peoples metabolism, making it very hard to stay fit. There isn't really an excuse for smoking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sackman View Post
    This sounds like social norms and sounds acceptable to me.
    Because the smoker is choosing to engage in an unhealthy activity, therefore they should own the burden.

For the record, I do go to avoid smoke, I don't ask smokers to move. The worst I'll do is ask someone to move downwind if I cannot find a place to stand.

That being said, I'm all for anti-smoking laws cause I want to be able to go to a bar and hang out with my friends without having to be exposed to smoke.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Why should a person who is not engaged in an unhealthy activity have to be inconvenienced for a person who is choosing to engage in an unhealthy activity?
    What a nice theoretical world you live in, I wish I could join you. The concept of "fair" is an illusion. A smoker could make the same argument, neither choice is inherently "fair". To me the best option is to leave that decision up to the property owner. Bar owner wants to allow smoking? Well, it's their choice now isn't it? Using your logic, why should your lifestyle prevent the property owner from deciding which *legal* activities to allow in their bar? Only children and naive adults talk as you do.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Simple fix to this is outlaw of tobacco for everyone who ain't old enough to buy it yet. Having a birthday past a certain year, like 1995 will make it impossible to buy cigarettes while slowly looting out those who is addicted and like it. Sure some would get older ones to buy them for them, but it would still thin out the herd of smokers considerably while doing it in a sensitive way..

For the record, I do go to avoid smoke, I don't ask smokers to move. The worst I'll do is ask someone to move downwind if I cannot find a place to stand.
    Which I think is perfectly fair. As a smoker I do not mind being asked to move if my smoke is bothering someone. I don't smoke around children or people who are eating. I think that is rude. There is a happy medium here, zealots on either side are bad. I don't want to make someone else uncomfortable in the same way I do not want to be outcast to go walk three blocks to grab a smoke and have the damn tax on it increased by a dollar every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post
    Smokers can damage other people's health by doing their bad habit around other people, which is obviously selfish.

The worse a fat person could do would be some form of smothering or crushing accident, which would be unfortunate but a very unlikely accident.
    This is bullshit, maybe if your in a sealed 3'x3' closet w/ them, that shit is scare tactics to push an agenda, just like marijuana will make you go insane and chew your arm off shit of the 1960's! its all bullshit!

Deleted
    Fat people can kill you instantly. They can roll over. JK.

Being a smoker is generally badly seen by a lot of people because of health issues. Big people are a bother during travelling(2 seats , take too much space etc). Your choice to which one bothers you most;s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jegerhellig View Post
    Simple fix to this is outlaw of tobacco for everyone who ain't old enough to buy it yet. Having a birthday past a certain year, like 1995 will make it impossible to buy cigarettes while slowly looting out those who is addicted and like it. Sure some would get older ones to buy them for them, but it would still thin out the herd of smokers considerably while doing it in a sensitive way..
    That's the way it has been in the US since before I was born. You have to be 18 years old to buy or smoke cigarettes in the US. Some teenagers do it anyway, but the anti-smoking campaigns and the anti-smoking laws and taxes have been working pretty well and there are fewer smokers with every generation.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

That being said, I'm all for anti-smoking laws cause I want to be able to go to a bar and hang out with my friends without having to be exposed to smoke.
    Smoking laws are retarded, it should be up to the property owner not the government end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    The fumes that come out of a vehicles exhaust as it passes you by has wayyyyy more poisons than a cigarette or cigar eh. So if you walk down a busy street you just smoked the equivalent of a few cigarettes after a few of breaths.
    I wasn't talking about other things that are harmful to you. Or the hypocrisy of polluting using a car while condemning smokers. I made a direct comparison between the two issues the OP brought up, I.e. fat v smokers and why people believe smokers are worse.

I don't know why several people have brought this up in relation to what I said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biged781 View Post
    Which I think is perfectly fair. As a smoker I do not mind being asked to move if my smoke is bothering someone. I don't smoke around children or people who are eating. I think that is rude. There is a happy medium here, zealots on either side are bad.
    I'm arguing more out of devil's advocate stance than my personal beliefs. I do get a little leery of too many "you can't do this" laws, which leads to things like New York's proposed ban on large sodas.

But I just simply despise smoking. It's disgusting, it triggers my asthma and it just is unpleasant. I don't like being around it and I don't like being told "I have the right to stink up the place, go somewhere else."

It's similar to my health insurance plan which offers financial incentives to people who enroll in weight loss or smoking cessation programs. If you are healthy and (relatively) bad habit free (like me) you get nothing. I don't understand why I have to be penalized or own the burden of inconvenience when I'm living the healthy way.
    Forum badass alert:
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since the OP is just sniping at people for no reason, I don't see a need to keep this open. In the future, please be more respectful of other people.