Deleted

Lore question about Orr

So I heard there was a human kingdom called Orr, which had a lot of holy sites and stuff. I also heard that, when the Charr got powers from their previous "gods", the leaders of Orr decided to ... blow it up to spare conquest?
    I was wondering if I'm missing anything here, since this story sounds crazy, I mean why would they blow their land and burry it under the sea without even trying to fight the charr? They even had good natural defenses, and even if the charr had gotten to their sacred city I still can't understand the logic of blowing up the peninsula killing most of the humans too.

Also, after they blow up their kingdom, some islands were left, weren't humans left on those still? What did they do? Didn't they try to defend themselves? What did the charr do? Why don't the charr hate the Orrians as much as they hate the Ascalonians, in the end they may have lost more armies when Orr sunk.

This is a brief history of Orr, but the simple answer is that one high-ranking mage, Vizier Kilbron, went off the deep-end and unleashed powers beyond his control with the unfortunate side effect of destroying that which he intended to save.

As to why the Charr hate Ascalons more than Orrians, I think that's mostly because the Ascalons continued to be a vicious threat for years after the Charr's conquest. Also, if I remember correctly, the lands we know as Ascalon were originally controlled by the Charr, but the Ascalon settlers evicted the conquered and evicted the Charr to create their new, human kingdom.
    I am Grôgnárd, the one and only!
    The Light and How to Swing It

SWTOR Referral Link - get free stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard View Post
    This is a brief history of Orr, but the simple answer is that one high-ranking mage, Vizier Kilbron, went off the deep-end and unleashed powers beyond his control with the unfortunate side effect of destroying that which he intended to save.
    This. Altho i'd like to add the conclusion of the story, which will contain massive spoilers from Guild Wars 1, however.
    It turned out that Vizier Kilbron, the advisor to the king, was being slowly corrupted by his own advisor(or was it servent). In Guild wasrs : Nightfall, it was revealed that the Kilbron's servent was a demonic agent to the fallen god Abbadon. Through him, the vizier was corrupted to the point where he destroyed Orr, in the event called The Cataclysm.
    I'm not sure if Kilbron really wanted to save Orr, or if he really had no idea what he was doing and to what it'd lead because of Abbadon's corruption. Could be either one.
    P.S. Oh, forgot. Kilbron is a lich :P

Deleted
    Thank you for those responses.

But then the question that arises to me is... why did the charr go after kryta and orr at all? I mean Ascalon were their lands, sure, I can understand them hating ascalonians, but the other two? Weren't the 3 kingdoms at war, and the enemy of my enemy is my friend?

And did all orrians die after this Cataclysm?

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post

But then the question that arises to me is... why did the charr go after kryta and orr at all? I mean Ascalon were their lands, sure, I can understand them hating ascalonians, but the other two? Weren't the 3 kingdoms at war, and the enemy of my enemy is my friend?

At that point, basically because they could. They had the power and the humans had taken their land first, why not take the weak human's land now that they had their own (false) gods and the power they provided? The humans hated the Charr and the Charr hated the Humans, no reason for the Charr to randomly ally with human army B after slaughtering human army A so easily. Pretty sure they didn't differentiate Krytans, Orr, and Ascalonians but instead categorized them as Humans, humans, and more humans.

Technically the reason that the Charr were so successful(?) with the invasions was because the 3 kingdoms were fighting each other (The Guild Wars). None are them united against the threat. The only nation that didn't completely get destroyed was Kryta, and I believe the reasons for that was because of the White Mantle and the Mursaat.

And according to the wiki, only one person survived the Cataclysm. This person was Vizier Khilbron. (http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Vizier_Khilbron)

edit: Here's the article about it

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Charr_invasion

It lasted from 1070 to 1090, but the majority of the that was just cleaning up Ascalon. The climax of the war is a big story point for Ghosts of Ascalon and Guild Wars 2, which you can as well read about here: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Foefire
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-06-24 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    And according to the wiki, only one person survived the Cataclysm. This person was Vizier Khilbron. (http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Vizier_Khilbron)
    Don't be a nub, Larynx.
    The Cataclysm did not spare him, but instead transformed him into the Undead Lich.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Don't be a nub, Larynx.
    Ur dum and stupit

Vizier Khilbron is the last known survivor of Orr following the Cataclysm
    IT SAYS SO RIGHT HERE!

HE SURVIVED DAMMIT

Deleted
    I see. So charr didn't bother to see humans either way, for them they were just some weak enemies all around. And all orrians died except one who may have survived. As a lich.

And from what I read about this White Mantle guys, they were some sort of spellcasters?

I see. So charr didn't bother to see humans either way, for them they were just some weak enemies all around. And all orrians died except one who may have survived. As a lich.

And from what I read about this White Mantle guys, they were some sort of spellcasters?
    The Mursaat (Unseen Ones, since they were invisible to most people) are a race of ancient, powerful spellcasters. The White Mantle is the leading government body in Kryta during Prophecies, and they are effectively a cult which worships the Mursaat.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Mursaat
    http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/White_Mantle

in game model of a Mursaat.

As the Isle of Janthir (see: Eye of Janthir) is on the GW2 map, Mursaat are pretty much confirmed for the game. ^^ By extension, perhaps even the Seers (which are the near-extinct archenemy of the Mursaat)

---------- Post added 2012-06-24 at 04:01 PM ----------

There have been a lot of questions about the Seers and their ancient war with the mursaat. Sadly, these aren’t questions we can answer at great length without giving away some very deep secrets of the Guild Wars world. I can say that they are one of the oldest races of Tyria, dating back long before the Gods brought the humans to the world; to the time of the writing of the Tome of Rubicon. In those ancient days, the Seers fought against the mursaat, but they were in turn defeated by their enemies, and their civilization lost to the ravages of time.
    Some remnants of that civilization, and that ancient time, still remain in modern-day Tyria (both in GW and GW2), but often, those who discover such things do not realize what they have found. There are opportunities in Guild Wars 2 to uncover some of the most ancient lore, including previously untold tidbits about the Seers and their story, but such information will be very difficult to come by.
    Well there we go, they are sort-of-kind-of confirmed. ^^
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-06-24 at 07:58 PM.