Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    Not one person has ever changed their opinion after an internet argument. Every argument online is simply troll bait.

I thought people would have realised this by now?

As for "We have rules, respect my authoritah", clicky
    I know your statement is probably in jest, but I would like to disagree. I have had plenty of illuminating discussions, many on these boards, wherein I changed either my opinion, or the opinions of others, through civil discussion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kngGhst View Post
    I'm not old by IRL standards, but by MMO gamer standards, I'm older than most. I believe one of the many reasons you see inflammatory opining on this forum is because there's a lot of younger people on here. Normally people in their late teens or early 20's think they got it all figured out and their opinions and beliefs are 100% correct and everyone who disagrees is a damned inbred buffoon. Not to say there aren't ignorant older people, but generally younger people tend to be more knee-jerky and opinionated and less thoughtful about other viewpoints and perspectives. TL;DR, the world is very black and white to young folk, get off my lawn.
    Irony, oh sweet irony.

10+ Year Old Account
    People will be people.
    You'll notice it in real life as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    I didn't insult anyone and if you think I did please quote anything that was insulting from me I don't think I insulted anyone I was clear in my topic and when I said not rocket science it wasn't an insult if you read my entire topic and all of my replies please.

Also I wasn't complaining I was discussing this matter since I'm seeing it a lot in the forum. Will be nice to see others opinions about this matter.
    Misinterpreted the Rocket Scientist comment, carry on.

Personally I stay away from any of those words that would lead to offense taken. If you think the poster or his idea is stupid, just prove it by posting otherwise, saying it directly accomplishes nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shop Ebay View Post
    Personally I stay away from any of those words that would lead to offense taken. If you think the poster or his idea is stupid, just prove it by posting otherwise, saying it directly accomplishes nothing.
    This is great for regular stuff, like what color is a kiwi, what type of keyboard is more common in Luxembourg, the distance between the earth and the moon, who won the Egypt elections, the speed of light, the existence of dinosaurs, or whether Batman could beat up Spiderman.

You can use facts there, and if someone doesn't acknowledge those facts you know the discussion won't go any further.

But a lot of conversation isn't about facts. It's about opinion and speculation. Capital punishment, gun ownership, the possibility of faster than light travel, which browser is the best, what is the coolest dinosaur, driving stick or automatic, religion, politics...

You can use facts in discussions about opinion and speculation, but you can't get a definitive right answer.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Respect has to be earned

Deleted
    Hey everyone, just out of curiosity I know it might be a naive question but here we goes:

is it really really hard and rocket science to be respectful and respect others opinion even if you disagree with them? what annoys me about some people in the forum that the moment you just disagree with them even though being polite and respectful then they start throwing personal insults.

So yeah this question is for everyone here in the forum discuss please and thanks for reading.
    Many people nowadays are pre-disposed to be very entitled, so they will shout and scream when their opinion is not the default. I have only pity for it, limiting their own mind.

I try my best to be respectful to other people's opinions, but it won't stop me from arguing my case. Otherwise life is boring. We would cease to exist and behave naturally without disagreement and conflict.

they start throwing personal insults
    Well this comes with the territory. At the end of the day though I know that at least 98% of all posters would never act in that way anywhere in real life.

is it really really hard and rocket science to be respectful and respect others opinion even if you disagree with them? what annoys me about some people in the forum that the moment you just disagree with them even though being polite and respectful then they start throwing personal insults.
    Yes it is, too many people with wrong opinions.

Seriously though, this is an issue that can hardly be discussed without insulting people. I have an idea in my head about the type of person who immediately resorts to personal insults, but to put this idea into words would be very... unflattering towards said people.

Also whatever happened to earning respect rather than being entitled to it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes.

I try to be, but it's a work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Saying "that's a stupid fucking idea" isn't a personal insult.
    Well would you really walk up to someone, in real life, and tell them that their idea is "fucking stupid" in the same exact tone that you expressed your sentence in when you posted it?

Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    Not one person has ever changed their opinion after an internet argument. Every argument online is simply troll bait.
    They may not openly admit it, but I can tell you, without a doubt, that I certainly have.