Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    double the wattge - less than a lightbulb , so turn off 1 light and voila - same power use [roll]. you also forget 1 small detail about buying international - support. anything bought in a foreign country will need to be returned to that country for any support - local outlets have no obligation (and neither interest) in support. i know this as i bought a hard drive from finland (via advisse on a forum many years ago) - and it had to be reutrned via finland when it broke - and sent via a 30 euro courier. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/M...0_HAWK/26.html as TPU shows the msi you selected is 50watt less power than the gtx 570 under `average` gaming load
    Last edited by Tanthalus; 2012-06-25 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanthalus View Post
    double the wattge - less than a lightbulb , so turn off 1 light and voila - same power use [roll]. you also forget 1 small detail about buying international - support. anything bought in a foreign country will need to be returned to that country for any support - local outlets have no obligation (and neither interest) in support. i know this as i bought a hard drive from finland (via advisse on a forum many years ago) - and it had to be reutrned via finland when it broke - and sent via a 30 euro courier. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/M...0_HAWK/26.html as TPU shows the msi you selected is 50watt less power than the gtx 570 under `average` gaming load
    Oh really, from which shop did you order it from? Every shop inside EU has obligation to threat its customers equally.

I prefer to use Google to search for user experiences. Hardwareversand.de has an extremely clear history with RMA, and they also pay your shipping costs for every product that has warranty.

Excuse me, what are you saying about the wattage? 'Turn off 1 light and vo'la'? We are looking at the power consumption / performance of the GPU, not your household power consumption.
    Last edited by Gouca; 2012-06-25 at 09:01 AM.

50 watts power difference under load between a 7870 and gtx 570 - or do you disagree with techpower up?

50 watts power difference under load between a 7870 and gtx 570 - or do you disagree with techpower up?
    I disagree. I have never suggested the MSi HD 7870, you can find my recommended rig with Sapphire HD 7870 here:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...bout-40)/page3

And here's the power consumption:

(453W-160W) = 293W GTX 570
    (341W-160W) = 181W HD 7870

Sorry, it's not half the wattage, it's 40%.
    Last edited by Gouca; 2012-06-25 at 09:18 AM.

erm your scan link posted the msi card and let me link info from TPU which disputes your hardocp picture

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/M...0_HAWK/26.html

also , if your suggesting a £260 gfx card then why are you mentioning the £90 cheaper GTX 570? a better comparision in ` bang for buck` would be a GTX 580 since they are similar in price to the 7870

---------- Post added 2012-06-25 at 10:41 AM ----------

and just so there is baseline of understanding with HARDOCP i bring to your attention:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/..._card_review/2 please pay careful attention to the drivers used for the AMD card - the CATALYST 12.7 BETA - let me quote a few other reviews about the drivers used....
    Quote Originally Posted by tomshardware
    AMD’s driver team deserves to take this weekend off. Its beta Catalyst 12.7 build does stellar things to the performance of several games in our benchmark suite. No longer is Nvidia’s GeForce GTX 670 faster than the Radeon HD 7970. And, in fact, these new drivers are largely responsible for the Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition card outmaneuvering GeForce GTX 680 in most of the tests we ran
    and
    We already know that GeForce GTX 670 performs within a few percentage points of 680, and for $100 less. Moreover, once Catalyst 12.7 goes public and puts the older 7970 in the same league as GeForce GTX 680, it’d simply make more sense to save the $50 and do a little overclocking of your own.
    wizzard tested them with the 7870 as well and suddenly got speed increases as well.....cant trust a review which uses unreleased drivers
    Last edited by Tanthalus; 2012-06-25 at 10:22 AM.

erm your scan link posted the msi card and let me link info from TPU which disputes your hardocp picture

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/M...0_HAWK/26.html

also , if your suggesting a £260 gfx card then why are you mentioning the £90 cheaper GTX 570? a better comparision in ` bang for buck` would be a GTX 580 since they are similar in price to the 7870

---------- Post added 2012-06-25 at 10:41 AM ----------

and just so there is asbeline of understanding with HARDOCP i bring to your attention:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/..._card_review/2 please pay careful attention to the drivers used for the AMD card - the CATALYST 12.7 BETA - let me quoet a few other reviews about the drivers used.... and

wizzard tested them with the 7870 as well and suddenly got speed increases as we.....cant trust a review which uses unreleased drivers
    I have already said it once, I say it again: I was taking equal parts from Scan.co.uk. It was never going to be a suggestion of any kind, it only showed the price difference.

Secondly, GTX 580 costs 360 euros the cheapest - HD 7870 costs 290 euros the cheapest, so I wouldn't put them into the same price range.

Thirdly, I don't get your target by pointing out the drivers' performance increase. I have all the time said: Take HD 7870, not a GTX 570. Your links just approve this message even more, since we can expect the HD 7870 to outperform GTX 570 harder.

and i happily repeat - take the cheaper GTX 570 over the HD7870; the GTX 580 is £229

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...googleshopping

thats 285 euro , cheaper than your 290 euro 7870 and faster by a margin;

also as actually mentioned yesterday on hexus - out right `win` is only relevant in certain optimized games , in twimtpb games nv do better , liekwise in amd optimized games the red team do better.
    Last edited by Tanthalus; 2012-06-25 at 10:37 AM.

and i happily repeat - take the cheaper GTX 570 over the HD7870; the GTX 580 is £229

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...googleshopping

thats 285 euro , cheaper than your 290 euro 7870 and faster by a margin
    And do you know why it's so cheap? Let me show you:

"90 Days warranty!"

So instead of the normal 3 years warranty you got a 3 months limited warranty. This instead is the cheapest GTX 580 with a proper FAN:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=GX-081-GI

330 pounds = 412,5 euros

please dont post where you dont understand UK laws - it makes you look stupid. every retail product carries a minimum 1 year warrenty irrespective of what the retailer says - and many up to 6 years under SOGA; again something they dont want to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikenchi View Post
    Also, would a 60gb SDD be enough to install windows and WoW on it?
    I would say go atleast 120GB on ssd... WoW using ~20GB and Windows7 ~20GB, thats only 20GB left. And if I recall it right a ssd want around 1/3 free space to work at max speed?
    And you will have program files on the ssd too, using some space too (not enougt to make a diffrent). Perfect place to have small normal programs on, I use around 2-3GB for VLC etc. Other games on HDD ofc.

With MoP out there will be needed more space for WoW I guess? then a 60 will be way to less And if you running with a 120 you can ahve 1-2 more game/game's on it that you play often. I have both BF3 and Diablo3 and have around alittle more then 1/3 left

please dont post where you dont understand UK laws - it makes you look stupid. every retail product carries a minimum 1 year warrenty irrespective of what the retailer says - and many up to 6 years under SOGA; again something they dont want to tell you.
    Alright. Provide me a quote of the SOGA law you refer to.

Deleted
    Alright, enough with the back and forth. You have derailed this thread far enough. Get back to the main topic. If you want to discuss the 7850/70 against the 570 and 580 create your own thread. If you want to compare e-tailers in the EU, create your own thread.

Please play nice, or kittens will die. Don't force me to close this. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Alright, enough with the back and forth. You have derailed this thread far enough. Get back to the main topic. If you want to discuss the 7850/70 against the 570 and 580 create your own thread. If you want to compare e-tailers in the EU, create your own thread.

Please play nice, or kittens will die. Don't force me to close this. Thanks.
    I would like to know, what are we exactly doing wrong? The point of forums is to discuss things. The point of computer forums, especially these that are titled 'computer building help' is to discuss the possibilities of different scenarios and components.

Tanthalus gave valid points, so did I. We were not arguing, we were using reviews & links as facts. So on I don't see the point of your comment, unless you actually quote the comments you find "derailing the thread far enough".

The main topic of this thread changed at the pages 2/3, where the OP agreed to listen to other suggestions aswell.

Deleted
    I would suggest that you read through the posting guidelines.

First and foremost, you didn't exactly do anything wrong in that regard - I merely decided to step in before it got out of hand. The point of the forum is to discuss things, but to do so in an organized manner. The topic at hand hasn't changed into "What EU retailer is the best?" or "Which one of the 7850/70 and 570/580 is the better GPU?". Don't get me wrong, you are free to make suggestions but it's still up to the OP to decide where and what (s)he wants to buy. Discussing what is merely a matter of personal preference for one and a half page is not alright, especially when one can't do so in a comprehensively. When it got to the point of discussing laws I decided to step in. What does the SOGA law have to do with the OPs intended build?

You are fully allowed to discuss these things of course, there's nothing against it really - we encourage it, but please create your own thread for it. Just imagine if you came in here asking for input on a build, and two users started going back and forth about something greatly irrelevant giving you no good feedback and shunning away users with viable input?

Also, if you want to discuss this further do it in "Suggestion and Feedback" or via PMs. If you think a moderator isn't doing a proper job, contact a Super Moderator or an Administrator.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    What does the SOGA law have to do with the OPs intended build?

If it turns to be as Tanthalos said, the OP can save a hundred pounds. I think it's worth of checking.

I checked novatech.co.uk for this. There may well be better options out there though, particularly as I'm not familiar with each individual store -- particularly given they're not in my country at all. I've also got a few odd bits and bobs that begin entering territory of preference, particularly powersupply, case and complete lack of mechanical hard drive, etc.

Regardless...
    My shopping list at novatech.co.uk looks like this:
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k
    Mobo: AsRock Z77 Extreme 4
    RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB (2x4GB) @ 1600MHz
    SSD: Samsung 830 128GB
    GPU: XFX HD 6850
    PSU: OCZ ZT 550
    Case: Fractal Design Core 3000
    Price: £655.57

That's my opinion in general. Some of those when searched will yield several hits, but pick whatever's cheapest, in stock, etc, or whatever whimsical desire for one over the other happens to be. You can upgrade the GPU if you want, or add in a mechanical hard drive, or add some 3rd party CPU cooler. Knock yourself out.

deleting old posts /10char
    Last edited by psoodkel235; 2022-04-02 at 09:35 PM.