Poll: Automatic or Manual? in US/Europe/other

15+ Year Old Account

Automatic vs manual in EU/US

After reading a thread about manual vs automatic transmission in cars, I saw the general consensus that manual is the standard while automatic is more rare in Europe, and opposite in the US.

I've been aware of this for some time, and from my observations it seems to be true for Norway, but I'm curious as to what the actual numbers for Europe as a whole vs US is. I also included the rest of the world as one option but if it's wanted I can add more individual continents/countries.

So, what do you prefer? Automatic or manual?
    Last edited by skoging; 2012-06-24 at 01:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulduru
    He is the hero that Azeroth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. And so we'll mock his alpha prediction. Because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a silent poster, a watchful dataminer....The MMO Champion.

Hitz From Dah Boing

I believe this has been driven by one simple thing......the price of gasoline. The US enjoys some of the lowest priced gasoline in the world mainly due to our consumption of same. During the oil crunch in the 70's, there was a temporary upswing in the purchase of manual transmissions in the US as people became more aware of things that could save them money in the long run. I think Europe was ahead of that curve due to the already increased price being paid for "petrol" there, hehe.

However, as technology has evolved, I think the savings have reversed themselves and automatic transmissions offer the same or better gas economy now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulanae View Post
    I believe this has been driven by one simple thing......the price of gasoline. The US enjoys some of the lowest priced gasoline in the world mainly due to our consumption of same. During the oil crunch in the 70's, there was a temporary upswing in the purchase of manual transmissions in the US as people became more aware of things that could save them money in the long run. I think Europe was ahead of that curve due to the already increased price being paid for "petrol" there, hehe.

However, as technology has evolved, I think the savings have reversed themselves and automatic transmissions offer the same or better gas economy now.

That actually makes a lot of sense, as gas prices here in Norway has been very high for as long as I can remember (around $10/gallon these days I think). Though its not that bad when you consider the price level in general here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulduru
    He is the hero that Azeroth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. And so we'll mock his alpha prediction. Because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a silent poster, a watchful dataminer....The MMO Champion.

Hitz From Dah Boing

Right now in WA state where I live we are paying $3.79/gal for regular unleaded and $4.19/gal for premium unleaded.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd imagine you're going to find that 90-95% of cars in the US are automatic, and maybe 80-90% are manual in Europe.

By the way on fuel prices - just in case you guys in the US are ever upset that the prices are getting high over there: The cost of 1 US gallon of regular unleaded here in the UK is about $11 US if I've got my calculations right. So yeah, like a third of the price for you!

I think our tax + fuel duty combined is around 60%, maybe the highest in Europe.

In WA state, taxes on gasoline are $0.184 Federal and $0.375 state for a total of 55.9 cents/gal ($0.559/gal).