Question I3-2100 and GTX 670/680: Will the CPU bottleneck the GPU hard?

I'm looking to upgrade my measly Radeon HD 6670 into something more robust in my system and after some good success when cashing out of D3, I can get either a 670/680 to replace it. However, I am curious whether the I3-2100 will bottleneck the GPU overall. I've heard people "saying it will" but they have had no proof to substantiate their claims. Just curious if it would bottleneck, thanks!

Spec:

• i3-2100
    • Radeon HD 6670
    • AsRock H61iCafe
    • 8gb DDR3-1333 Crucial Ballistix
    • CM 500w PSU (this was a cheap rig, don't hate on the crappy PSU which I will replace if necessary)

I'm not using an SSD at all atm so I don't know whether that will factor into any bottlenecks or not.
    Playing god......................since......god forever.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...hetic/advanced

No. Your CPU will not bottleneck a single GPU. It may become the weaker link, but it will be more than enough for most/all games. It will only be the bottleneck, when it alone will force the GPUs usage so low that the specific GPU being irrelevant beyond X in GPU intensive games, and this will not happen.

HD7870, HD7950, GTX 670 considering your PSU would be wise.

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    i have no proof to back up my claims.

you want to put one of the best gpu's on the market into a very average (even below average build) and expect something amazing to happen, it won't. it's a waste of money and yes u will be bottlenecking urself very badly. even if u did decide to upgrade the gpu to a gtx 670/680 u would have to upgrade ur psu to a 550w min but 650 is recommended.
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

10+ Year Old Account
    you cant cash out with D3 all you can do is buy other blizzard games and stuff btw

Deleted
    yes you can you can have the funds put into paypal

Don't listen to people who will tell you that it will bottle neck your GPU, it's true but not as a big of a deal as they want you to believe. Strictly speaking for gaming I3 - 2100 is very good CPU here is a review from Tom's Hardware http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...mark,3120.html where they benchmarks 2100 with Radeon HD7970 which is roughly equal to GTX 670/680 we can see that games like BF 3 works the same with i5 or i3 while other games show just a minor fps in difference. To be crystal clear, different games have different demands from your computer, some demand graphical power some demand processing power. In most of the cases i3 - 2100 performs really well, in other it will perform less than perfect but still will put up a good fight.

A word of caution, everything I've said applies only to gaming, if you want to do video/audio recording/editing you might be unpleasantly surprised. And lastly, i3 is just dual core processor if you plan to multi task (willingly or unwillingly - like antivirus deciding to scan or windows decides it is a good idea to download and install updates now) while gaming your will get a performance hit and I'd suggest down the road upgraded to i5- 2400 or i5 -3450/3550.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VAenx View Post
    you cant cash out with D3 all you can do is buy other blizzard games and stuff btw
    So misinformed...

You can have your cash sent straight to paypal (for a 15% fee per sale if I understand it correctly), and from paypal you can send your money to your bank, so yes, you can cash out from D3.

Really appreciate the comments. So it sounds like that it would be a doable upgrade. And to answer who said that its not worth it to upgrade the gpu in such a low end rig, I do plan on trying to get this gfx card upgraded first and then down the line upgrade my CPU. And as for gaming, I do everything from FPS/MMO/RTS/RPG games on my computer. I'm not looking to get INSANE graphics on my games (more than is honestly needed.). Not to mention that I do game on a 1680x1050 monitor so I'm not going for full HD. As for thanks, really do appreciate the feedback Jerom and Tetrisgoat.
    Playing god......................since......god forever.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...hetic/advanced

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post

you want to put one of the best gpu's on the market into a very average (even below average build) and expect something amazing to happen, it won't. it's a waste of money and yes u will be bottlenecking urself very badly. even if u did decide to upgrade the gpu to a gtx 670/680 u would have to upgrade ur psu to a 550w min but 650 is recommended.
    Completely untrue, as proven by Tetris and Jerom's comments.

An i3, while the "lower" Intel i-core processor, is still quite a strong process, being a 2 core, 4 thread CPU with a frequency of over 3GHz which we know with Sandy Bridge is actually pretty strong. No, average of below average would be a Sandy Bridge Gxxx CPU, and even those are fairly strong, though are not optimal for gaming. The OP would see great results with a stronger GPU for sure.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post

Funny how I run a overclocked i5 2500k and a overclocked gtx670 on my 450w psu.

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Funny how I run a overclocked i5 2500k and a overclocked gtx670 on my 450w psu.
    Same here, but it comes down to if you have a good or bad brand PSU, some cheap 450W PSUs are just terrible, thats why the recommended wattages are often 100-200W higher than really needed.
    Before I bought my 560Ti last year I checked some benchmarks for my PSU and for 560Ti maximum power draws and realized that Im more than fine with my Corsair VX450.
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |

A proper 450W PSU can take care of a GTX 680 system

Guru3d:

System in IDLE = 144 W
    System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 307 W
    Difference (GPU load) = 163 W
    Add average IDLE wattage ~10 W
    Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 173 Watts

Add 100W for extreme overclocking (i3 2100 doesn't OC though), 407W system drain < 450W PSU.

And no, i3-2100 is not a bottleneck to any GPU.

It can be a bottleneck in the most ridiculous of things, but it's a useless concern imo. To me it's like being concerned it'll affect the weather.