Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    Except...not every game is for everyone? Some people will not enjoy GW2, there is nothing wrong with that. It makes perfect sense.
    Problem: If you tell that to somebody who is posting in this forum, that makes up their mind right then and there, when previously they had NOT made up their mind.

Doesn't matter how aggressive they are with their opinion. Don't make up their mind for them.

Don't care if it makes sense. Don't care if it's true. Truth doesn't matter here - diplomacy does.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Problem: If you tell that to somebody who is posting in this forum, that makes up their mind right then and there, when previously they had NOT made up their mind.

Doesn't matter how aggressive they are with their opinion. Don't make up their mind for them.

Don't care if it makes sense. Don't care if it's true. Truth doesn't matter here - diplomacy does.
    If I tell them...what? That not every game is for everyone? Do you enjoy playing Farmville? Civilization V? Skyrim? CoD:MW3/BF3? Legend of Grimrock? Star Trek Online? If not, why not? It doesn't matter, because going by your statement, your opinion of the game is wrong. You should play them all because someone on a forum says they are great.

Now, I'm not going to tell somebody that a specific game is or is not for them. That is for them to decide. If they ask a question, and if I know the answer, I will try and answer as best I can. If someone says they dislike a specific aspect of a game, no amount of convincing will change their mind. For example, I dislike the trinity. Try and convince me otherwise.

To say that GW2 is going to be a game that everyone will enjoy is just as preposterous as saying everyone will enjoy The Secret World, Pandaria and Neverwinter. By the way, I have no desire to play Pandaria. Convince me otherwise.

Well, no 1 game IS for everyone so I don't see the problem. You can't reach everyone with one game, even in the MMO market.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    If I tell them...what? That not every game is for everyone?
    Yes. Because you saying that to them will leave them to reason "Oh, he's trying to tell me not to play this game and that it's not for me." That means you're deciding for them. I'm not just assuming this - I've seen it on this very board, numerous times, that people respond that way. It's precisely why the OP made this thread here in GW2 to begin with.

I repeat: I'm not saying the statement is wrong. I'm going to make this very clear, as I have never made one post contrary to the following:

It's absolutely true that no game is for everyone.

That is absolutely irrelevant to whether or not you should say it to them, in a discussion that typically leads to them deciding whether or not to play. Saying that to them basically "confirms" that it's not for them, when that may be inaccurate.

Being right is not always as important as being diplomatic. Or rather, being right is not always as important as being welcoming to your fellow gamer. Just because you perceive that you are merely stating a fact that this may not be the game for them, does not mean they will perceive it the same way - they are much more likely to perceive it as you saying "You won't like this game, go away," whether or not that was your intention.

And even more so: What is the point in telling them that? The phrase "Captain Obvious" comes up here. Has it occurred to you that they are fully aware of what you're saying, and that maybe they're trying to figure out if it is or not?
    Even though it's true, it's not constructive, let alone new information.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-06-28 at 12:43 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    GW2 isn't the holy grail of video games, it will not appeal to some people. It is not for everyone. A lot of the things people are complaining about (the way DEs work, hearts work, basic game mechanics, no endless gear grind, no raids) do not need to be fixed as they are not broken. Not liking design choices = game may not be for you. If Anet tries to design their game to please everyone, they will please no one.
    Some of the wisest words you will ever seen on mmo-champ. Well said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, 14 pages and people still don't get it.

He's not saying that telling someone: "Its not for you" is a because every game should be for everyone... he's saying the response in itself is a cop out. It's like ordering a beef taco and getting some beef-flavored pork bi-product, complaining about it and being told "Don't like it, go somewhere else."

That's just not ok. The place could be shut down for that. The two (etc) parties should / could be working together to be productive, not dismissive. Be constructive. Help the person find a way to get around the part of the game they didn't like. Offer them other suggestions. Answer questions. If you have none of this to offer, then heaven forbid, don't reply to them. But for fuck sake, don't tell them "Iz not fer u, bro!" That accomplishes nothing. If it's true, they'll find it out on their own. If it's not, you just pushed away someone who could have learned to love the game.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Again, I'm not going to tell someone what is and is not for them. I instead try and inform them and let them make up their own mind. If there is something that someone dislikes, then they dislike it. Fencers dislike the UI. There is nothing I can say or do to change her mind. I could bribe her with money, chocolate, and 7 clones of a young Sean Connery (one for each day), and she still would not like the UI. She might lie to get the rewards, but that's beside the point. However, if someone is of the mindset that Pandaria will be the greatest game ever made and that GW2 should implement gear grinds, trinity, raids, pokemon and flying mounts, then I am not going to waste my time in trying to convince them otherwise. I would tell them to enjoy their game, and hope that they left this sub-forum.

I do get what you are saying. But to me, it's worth the loss of one person that just argues and flamebaits and wastes forum space.

WoW > GW2

That's my personal opinion. I don't think this game is for me even after watching gameplay and reading up on what's available. The gameplay looks alright but, the major flaw to me is the way the game looks which always seems to cause people to nerdrage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adominitis View Post
    the major flaw to me is the way the game looks which always seems to cause people to nerdrage.
    I'm not understanding. What's wrong with how it looks? O_o

It looks fairly realistic, as opposed to cartoony. That's not to say that there aren't bright and glowy weapons/armor/spells/environments, just that it's displayed in a more toned-down art style, so as to believe "Yeah, this could exist in the real world, if there was magic or something."

I'm not understanding. What's wrong with how it looks? O_o

It looks fairly realistic, as opposed to cartoony. That's not to say that there aren't bright and glowy weapons/armor/spells/environments, just that it's displayed in a more toned-down art style, so as to believe "Yeah, this could exist in the real world, if there was magic or something."
    I couldn't care less about realistic qualities i just don't like the flow of the game or the way it looks for that matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    I couldn't care less about realistic qualities i just don't like the flow of the game or the way it looks for that matter.
    Meh... I'm really just not getting what you mean. :|

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand either. First, the way the game looks was causing 'people' to nerdrage, which is something I've never heard from either the good or the bad side of the fence, and now you're just saying that you don't like the looks of it?

Considering your original contribution was "WoW>GW2" in a thread about the usage of a completely unrelated phrase, I have no idea what point you're trying to get across. You don't like the game? Ok then.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Wow, 14 pages and people still don't get it.

He's not saying that telling someone: "Its not for you" is a because every game should be for everyone... he's saying the response in itself is a cop out. It's like ordering a beef taco and getting some beef-flavored pork bi-product, complaining about it and being told "Don't like it, go somewhere else."

That's just not ok. The place could be shut down for that. The two (etc) parties should / could be working together to be productive, not dismissive. Be constructive. Help the person find a way to get around the part of the game they didn't like. Offer them other suggestions. Answer questions. If you have none of this to offer, then heaven forbid, don't reply to them. But for fuck sake, don't tell them "Iz not fer u, bro!" That accomplishes nothing. If it's true, they'll find it out on their own. If it's not, you just pushed away someone who could have learned to love the game.
    No, we absolutely get it. We just don't agree with you. To use your analogy, if someone wants a beef taco and only a beef taco and they ask if a new restaurant is for them and that restaurant not only doesn't serve beef tacos, but it's a vegetarian place, then the proper response is "You can't get beef tacos there. If you're set on having beef tacos, it's not the place for you." That's not undiplomatic, that's not wrong, that's giving an honest, accurate opinion. Drake would argue that this is making their mind up for them - rubbish. It's giving them honest, real feedback vs pretending that people are wishy washy sheep who can't hear that and continue to ask questions.

The beef taco guy could come back and say "Well, I'd really LIKE a beef taco, but if they have X I might like it". Even then, there might come a point where what the guy wants and what the restaurant serves simply cannot be made to match. If he's insisting on some kind of animal or fish in his dish and it's a vegetarian place... those things are irreconcilable. That's fine. The restaurant will find other people who like what it does and the guy in your example will find some place that can serve him the food he wants.

When you say "Help the person find a way to get around the part of the game they didn't like. " you're totally ignoring that such a thing might not be possible. GW2 has no trinity. If someone is deadset on playing a trinity role and only that role and if they're further dead set on wanting a game where there are large instanced raids, then GW2 isn't the game for them as it doesn't have those things and cannot have them without some basic design changes.

What you, Drake and others seem to be wanting is for everyone to try GW2. The problem with that is that 1) that ALSO shuts down conversation as the answer to every question becomes "Try it, you might like it" and 2) for people who really don't like some of the basic design choices GW2 has made you're telling them to waste $60. Unless you're ANet sales people, that's not OK.
    Last edited by clevin; 2012-06-28 at 05:39 PM.

WoW > GW2

That's my personal opinion. I don't think this game is for me even after watching gameplay and reading up on what's available. The gameplay looks alright but, the major flaw to me is the way the game looks which always seems to cause people to nerdrage.
    What an odd thing to say and totally unrelated to the topic at hand

inb4 getting infracted

Please post productively. But at least you were inb4 getting infracted. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-06-28 at 04:28 AM.

It's true, however. The game won't be for everybody. No game will be.

It gets rather redundant to say so, however.

Deleted

No, often those people come on the forum complaining about what they disliked. And when the person isn't having fun and are asking on how they should be having fun than my advice would be "the game is not for you". If you need others to help you decide weither you are having fun or not than your on the wrong path.

Some people (I think more younger peeps) often follow hypes in the hopes of having fun even though the game isn't their gameplay style.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    If you need others to help you decide weither you are having fun or not than your on the wrong path.
    You sound like Stan Smith, saying that needing help makes you weak. Believe it or not, some people actually value the opinions of others, especially in obtaining a fresh perspective that they hadn't considered. That's kinda... the whole point of communication... no?

Can you elaborate a bit on why you don't like the way the game looks? What about the way it looks bothers you? I haven't played it and only watched a couple of videos, but the graphics seems to be a lot more realistic than WoW in my opinion, and some of the screenshots and images I've seen are very nice.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I really would like to understand what it is you don't like. I mean... if you don't like it, you don't like it. Nothing wrong with that. I don't like Maple Story graphics, or Runescape graphics, either.

I'm just wondering what it is you don't like, because... well, I'm just wondering what's turning you off.