15+ Year Old Account

[Movies] Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Looked around and only found a thread in the General Off-topic forums from March so I thought I start one.

Just got back from watching Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and I have to say I really enjoyed it. What surprised me is it was actually a serious movie, instead of the light-hearted "Abraham kills Edward" kind of movie I was expecting. The action sequences were good, Abraham played by Benjamin Walker was quite a lot of fun to watch, and his mannerisms as Abraham were on the money for how I would picture Abraham acting. Mary Elizabeth Winstead portrayed Mary Todd Lincoln, and as always she was absolutely lovely and a pleasure to watch. The antagonist of the story, an 5000 year old vampire known as Adam was played by Rufus Sewell, who was thankfully not an over-the-top sort of villain but the character seemed to be lacking passion.

If you didn't already know the movie is based of a novel of the same name written by author Seth Grahame-Smith. While I personally haven't read the novel for Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, I can honestly say after watching the movie I just may. Grahame-Smith has also had a similar novel published titled Pride and Prejudice and Zombies which I heard at one point if Abraham does well Pride will be next.

10+ Year Old Account
    The movie was too serious, and Mary-Todd was not the vulgar, profanity laced woman I read about in history books. Those are my only complaints, other than those two things it was awesome. I'll probably watch it again.

My friend just watched it, to be a history major he thought it was very entertaining!

I really didn't want to see it but my friend did so I broke down and saw it tonight. It wasn't bad overall. Some of the action sequences were kind of cool and Mary Elizabeth Winstead is so cute I'll marry her just for her looks. Some of the action sequences go by too fast and the last half of the movie slows to a crawl before the big finale.

I'll say this though don't take this as a history lesson!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll watch it just because the premise amuses me and piques my curiosity.

I don't expect much of it though.
    Putin khuliyo

The movie was badass. I really liked the book, and the movie was pretty different from it, but it was still awesome.

Deleted
    Seriously guys , how can you watch something like this ?

[IMG]http://farm1.staticflickr.com/131/319047856_dbf1ef3e92.jpg[IMG]

Warning: Site rules state, no meme images, please.
    Last edited by mmocf558c230a5; 2012-06-29 at 04:50 PM.

Would you recommend reading the book first or going to watch the film first? (Is it even worth it?)

Quote Originally Posted by scso232 View Post
    My friend just watched it, to be a history major he thought it was very entertaining!
    Yeah, I was going for a history major for a time, I'm a huge history buff. When I first saw the trailers for this movie I figured my inner history buff would scream to much at me for me to enjoy the movie lol, but apparently your friend liked it?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

Quote Originally Posted by razzex View Post
    Seriously guys , how can you watch something like this ?
    Because it's badass. The premise is ridiculous, sure, but it was pulled off nicely. It doesn't take itself too seriously, but it isn't full out stupid either.

Quote Originally Posted by Teslacoile View Post
    Would you recommend reading the book first or going to watch the film first? (Is it even worth it?)
    Depends on what you like. The movie focuses more on the vampire aspect of the story while the book focused more on the history (that's what it seemed like to me, anyway). They're both entertaining though, so I'd say that they're both worth it.