Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

The Gold Problem

Linking a Kripp video here. Please actually watch what one of the great gamers out there has to say, and read my post before posting drivel responses. I think it is a legitimate problem going forwad. I am really curious as to what tyhe community thinks and how many of you can and have items up for billions.

To me this is the standard problem with Diablo. With the number of people running bots, the amount of gold I can earn not running a bot makes it really hard to try and buy upgrades on the AH.

Yes I farm. Yes I know it is a farming game. I am the grind and farming king from WoW. It was fun for me to log in after I quit raiding to do my auctions and make gold. Doing my professions farming while listening to music etc.

The problem is the only upgrade I can get for my Crossbow? Over 500 million. The bracers I need with all resist? A magic item with Dex and all resist 10 million. People are using AH bots as well so when you do find a great upgrade don't look to long because it can be sniped.

Farming for hours on end to get gold at a rate which cant keep up is not fun. Farming for a profession would be. Getting a few usable pcs would be. I found a few armor pcs checked the ah and tried to list them in teh millions that the others where at and 2 weeks straight no purchase.

I am simply way behind the curve.

Do you think its a problem?

Are you ahead of the curve and what got you there?

Do you think it should be addressed?

There is a cap on real money , should there be a cap on gold AH? (this is a friends idea not mine, I think it would devalue gold more)

Serious discussion please.

EDIT-----Apologies I had teh wrong video linked to start should be right now.

Adding from zluu's post -----Do you think being able to cancel auctions at any time and create more undercutting would help?
    Last edited by digger66; 2012-06-26 at 03:03 PM.

Deleted
    Just FYI, starting a constructive thread by speaking of driveling really isn't the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Just FYI, starting a constructive thread by speaking of driveling really isn't the way to go.
    Thanks for proving why I started with it.

Exactly how much resist are you aiming for? Do you really need to have the absolute best in slot item? Can't you buy an item with slightly lower stats? What're the stats on your current crossbow? If it's over 500million, isn't it pretty much the top-end option for you and the only real solution is to therefore farm a better one?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by digger66 View Post
    Thanks for proving why I started with it.
    Actually the opposite could be argued better, that your nonsense only provokes nonsense, seeing as you started out with your own sort of drivel. If you'd truly want this discussed you would've simply made an intelligent post, or have the sense to not continue in such manner as you started with.

Infracted. Stop trying to cause a fight
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-06-26 at 02:49 PM.

Deleted
    The inflation problem does exist and I don't really know how one should go about addressing it. Obviously bots have already done a lot of damage to the economy of the game.

The only thing I can think of is to make items more common while reducing gold drops and maybe even getting rid of or nerfing +gold find. That will eventually even out the balance between items and gold.

1.0.3 was suppose to do that a little bit while also siphoning gold away from the system via repair bills. Hopefully they will continue to do stuff like that, they have already said they might buff crafting a bit and will buff legendaries and most likely increase the rate of 63 items doping in Act 3+. I think nerfing gold find and continuing to ban rich bot accounts is needed as well.

With this said though I think you exaggerate the problem. If the only item you can use is 500+ mil gold then you don't need that item at all, you're just looking for completely steamroll own inferno rather than just normal steamroll it. There are perfectly good items for much much less than that which are enough for 99% of people to beat the game with.
    Last edited by mmocf1640b68b7; 2012-06-26 at 02:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    He has some flaws. I really dont think there are people out there running 50 copies of the game and botting, and the only reason items on the ah are going for over 100mill are because people are just listing them high and no one buys it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Actually the opposite could be argued better, that your nonsense only provokes nonsense, seeing as you started out with your own sort of drivel. If you'd truly want this discussed you would've simply made an intelligent post, or have the sense to not continue in such manner as you started with.
    Yes your right nobody posts stupid crap in threads ever. You read one part and instead of reading the whole thing and posting constructively about the questions and topic, you chose to be a smartass and post drivel. You are clouding up a thread instead of posting on topic. How about posting on topic? I am sure with over 900 posts you can come up with something better.

---------- Post added 2012-06-26 at 09:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by zerocoolhack View Post
    He has some flaws. I really dont think there are people out there running 50 copies of the game and botting, and the only reason items on the ah are going for over 100mill are because people are just listing them high and no one buys it.
    There are. There was a video of it linked on this site. If someone has it please post it.

Items on the Auction house are always going to be overpriced because people will assume that maybe one day, they'll sell a weapon for 500million. Go to your class forums or the trading forums on the battle.net/d3 website and there are quite often people selling gear there for much more reasonable prices. In the Wizard forum there are 1000 dps 1handers with good stats that go for 5-6 million which is a good price.

(note that the class forums aren't actually meant for trading, but a lot of it happens there anyway)

Also you're playing a DH, DH and Barb gear (especially weapons) is expencive because they're the most popular classes.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
    I think nerfing gold find and continuing to ban rich bot accounts is needed as well.
    I don't see why Blizzard has so much trouble banning bots in D3. From what people say they are often running 24/7 and are doing nothing but gold farming routes, not actually clearing champion/unique packs. Surely they would be easy to pick out and ban.
    Last edited by Glurp; 2012-06-26 at 02:36 PM.

We just need a new ladder to counter the damage bots and bugs have done, preferably within a month or so.

No, you don't lose your current progress or gears, just imagine it being a brand new ranked realm for 'world firsts' until another new ladder appears like the old D2 model.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Exactly how much resist are you aiming for? Do you really need to have the absolute best in slot item? Can't you buy an item with slightly lower stats? What're the stats on your current crossbow? If it's over 500million, isn't it pretty much the top-end option for you and the only real solution is to therefore farm a better one?
    My gear isn't the topic. But to answer your question Bracers are one of teh best sources of AR and i would like to find a pair around 70-80. I found 2 yesterday that were somewhat reasonable and they were both bought while i was checking their stats.

10+ Year Old Account
    He has a lot of good points that match with what I've said before. Pretty sure I mentioned it would have been a lot more interesting if they had kept the 99 level thing and let us earn points towards stats/abilities/talents to beef up and specialize our chars more after hitting 60+Inferno.

At least in my experience you can find a lot of solid gear for < 1Mil gold if you look through the AH right but then finding upgrades for those "six digit" pieces usually start at like 5-10 Mil (at least from my experience). This is just for well itemized yellows or solid weapons let alone set/legendary items that usually are listed for a bazillion if you want a solid piece for the price (I blame them more on the drop rate + affix randomization than the player posting them).

Over all grinding Act 1 Inferno for that 0.00001% drop that might either upgrade you or sell for enough to put you into the AH game isn't very exciting. Unfortunately a lot of Kripp's suggestions require a huge change/upgrade that really needed to be part of the launch release. Right now it's hard to expect them to code in the huge fundamental changes he is suggestion so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Over all I'm just killing time until MoP and maybe I'll get lucky enough to fund that purchase through the RMAH.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

Put in a low gold cap. Either by making gold take up inventory space or by putting in an actual gold cap. I prefer the inventory system because then what you can hold onto becomes a conscious decision. Obviously this then makes certain items worth more than a full inventory of gold, but that's fine. That's what the RMAH is for right?

Yes, I think it is a huge problem. It is really bothering me as by the time I can farm up enough for an upgrade, the price on the upgrade has gone up. I am stuck. One particular example is my weapon. I only paid about 100k for it a while back, 850ish DPS 1H. The only decent upgrades to it, and nothing even above 1000DPS are well over a million gold. I would also like to try DW vs 2H vs 1H+Shield, but the cost to even attempt these things is huge. How can I even test and find out what works best for me without spending millions on just a weapon, that doesn't even count the rest of my gear. The prices are outrageous. I can farm Act 1 Inferno with ease, but I want to move on, I need more health and more damage to prevent getting flat out owned in Act 2. Things just annihilate me. Being melee, stuck in the middle of everything that's going on I just can't see the wasps about to hit me sometimes and they take 1/2-3/4 of my health. I need better gear with more health but simply cannot afford it.

Due to all this, I have actually gotten so frustrated I am taking a break from the game for a couple weeks, I think this may just hurt me more than help though as by the time I come back, things will be even more inflated. I can't sell the drops I get for any decent amount anymore, I used to be able to get at least 4-8x vendor prices, but even at a little less than 2 things are just getting returned to me. I've though about trying to buy some BS recipes and just farm rares for salvaging and try to make my own upgrades, but that just doesn't seem worth the time either. I'm not sure what to do nor do I have any ideas to fix the problems, but am aware of them and they are frustrating me recently.

Deleted
    AH is shit. Should have stayed as in D2 that you can actually FIND items you want and trade. Now its near impossible to find the items you want yourself (which is weird) or you have to farm for months to buy items for 100millions~ I mean really?
    D2 was perfect that you got some good items when you farmed and it could take a little while and you would get the items you want or good items to trade for the stuff you want. In D3 you could farm for 1 year and not get the items you want. Under that 1 year you might get 200mil so 2 items if you go for perfect items. Or pay RMAH -.- I have sold items myself but wont buy and I dont find D3 fun anymore :/ oh well.

If there were no AH they would have to raise the drop % of good items but now its just sad.

I don't use the AH, and i'm progressing through the game at a slow pace, but it's fine for me.

Imho the AH shouldn't have been implemented at all. It's genereting more whines than ever.

If the drops are bad, they can be fixed. If a boss is too easy/too hard it can be fixed. If act1 now is the best farming spot due ti bugs in later acts, they will be fixed. If bosses are not that remunerative, thay could be fixed some day.

But if a guy chooses tha AH way because he couldn't care less about farming and just wants to finish the game fast, then complains about the game being easy/short, well, you cannot fix people.

Not being able to progress through inferno because of the too high (probably, many examples of ppl being able to do it with not uber gear) was an issue, that has been addressed in some way.

People pretending to do billions of gold from AH after that good rares are more diffuse cannot be addressed.

All the issues are coming from the AH and its usage.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
    The inflation problem does exist and I don't really know how one should go about addressing it. Obviously bots have already done a lot of damage to the economy of the game.

The only thing I can think of is to make items more common while reducing gold drops and maybe even getting rid of or nerfing +gold find. That will eventually even out the balance between items and gold.

1.0.3 was suppose to do that a little bit while also siphoning gold away from the system via repair bills. Hopefully they will continue to do stuff like that, they have already said they might buff crafting a bit and will buff legendaries and most likely increase the rate of 63 items doping in Act 3+. I think nerfing gold find and continuing to ban rich bot accounts is needed as well.

With this said though I think you exaggerate the problem. If the only item you can use is 500+ mil gold then you don't need that item at all, you're just looking for completely steamroll own inferno rather than just normal steamroll it. There are perfectly good items for much much less than that which are enough for 99% of people to beat the game with.

looking for +1000 dps cold dmg crossbaow with proper stats , not int or strength.

---------- Post added 2012-06-26 at 09:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    I don't use the AH, and i'm progressing through the game at a slow pace, but it's fine for me.

Imho the AH shouldn't have been implemented at all. It's genereting more whines than ever.

If the drops are bad, they can be fixed. If a boss is too easy/too hard it can be fixed. If act1 now is the best farming spot due ti bugs in later acts, they will be fixed. If bosses are not that remunerative, thay could be fixed some day.

But if a guy chooses tha AH way because he couldn't care less about farming and just wants to finish the game fast, then complains about the game being easy/short, well, you cannot fix people.

Not being able to progress through inferno because of the too high (probably, many examples of ppl being able to do it with not uber gear) was an issue, that has been addressed in some way.

People pretending to do billions of gold from AH after that good rares are more diffuse cannot be addressed.

All the issues are coming from the AH and its usage.
    You make a good point. However at some point you come to a brick wall, at least I did. A few purchases from the AH and i am able to progress. I need that feeling of progression. If i was leveling now, at least there is a better chance of upgrades in the last acts of hell and maybe I wouldnt have needed to .

Deleted
    there is a very easy way to slow down inflation : allow cancellation of auctions at anytime. It'll make all the bots play the undercutting game to sell faster, you would see prices go down very quickly.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem is not as bad as some think you just cant be super picky. I play a bard myself so my main three stats I want are str vit and AR. Now If I look for an upgrade for anything it is several million, however if I look for a piece with just str and ar or ar and vit it is so much lower. Just to progress early up to act three I bought alot of chromatic pieces, they only have vit and ar but they have a boat load of them and they are quite cheap on the ah. Once you are in a3 and can take down most of the packs without problems they chance of getting a good piece is at such a rate that you can make the money.

Something else to factor in is this is a community full of gamers. A bunch sped to inferno to get the good items and sell them for super high, just give it some time for the rest to catch up, which they will with or without the ah, and prices will drop. This is a farming game and is completely possible to do without ever stepping foot in the ah, or if you need to buying a few pieces that, as I stated, do not have to be perfectly itemized.
    If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by zluu View Post
    there is a very easy way to slow down inflation : allow cancellation of auctions at anytime. It'll make all the bots play the undercutting game to sell faster, you would see prices go down very quickly.

I had not thought of that. Possibly a good idea.