Page 1 of 14
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Angry Mojang Bought by Microsoft (Confirmed)

    Update: Microsoft has indeed bought and purchased Mojang off the hands of Markus "Notch" Persson for 2.5 billion USD.

    http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/09/15/mi...t-buys-mojang/

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    http://online.wsj.com/articles/micro...aft-1410300213

    Microsoft Corp. is in serious discussions to buy Mojang AB, the Swedish company behind the popular "Minecraft" videogame, according to a person with knowledge of the matter.

    The deal would be valued at more than $2 billion and could be signed as early as this week, this person said.

    A Microsoft spokesman declined to comment,...
    Last edited by Valyrian Stormclaw; 2014-09-16 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Story update.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Annnnnnd...this is the point you should be euthanized for the betterment of humanity ;p
    Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Metzen
    "As you can see the age of the whimsical panda sadly, is over."
    Amen!

  2. #2
    False rumor is false.

    There is no way Microsoft is paying 2 billion for Minecraft when it has peaked long ago and makes no money outside of 'box' sales.

    And scrolls sure isnt worth that money either.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    False rumor is false.

    There is no way Microsoft is paying 2 billion for Minecraft when it has peaked long ago and makes no money outside of 'box' sales.

    And scrolls sure isnt worth that money either.
    Licensing, yo. Mojan makes the majority of their money from licensing out the Minecraft property now.

    Not to mention it would be a very strong brand for Microsoft to have under their belt. Just like Rare once was.

    Though $2B is pretty damn high, even accounting for those factors.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    False rumor is false.

    There is no way Microsoft is paying 2 billion for Minecraft when it has peaked long ago and makes no money outside of 'box' sales.

    And scrolls sure isnt worth that money either.
    Mojang = name recognition. People will buy Mojang games because it's Mojang. Which makes it worth a ton of money.

    Also; just because Minecraft is a 6 year old game doesn't mean it can't bring in more money through releases and ports, or sequels and DLC.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Though $2B is pretty damn high, even accounting for those factors.
    Again; name recognition. Take Lucasfilm for example; it was bought for 4 billion even though they weren't putting out anything new and Star Wars was several decades old. And yet; it still sold 4 billion. And guess what? Disney is going to make more money off of it by making another trilogy, and no matter how bad it is; it will still get a ton of money because of name recognition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Annnnnnd...this is the point you should be euthanized for the betterment of humanity ;p
    Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Metzen
    "As you can see the age of the whimsical panda sadly, is over."
    Amen!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Again; name recognition. Take Lucasfilm for example; it was bought for 4 billion even though they weren't putting out anything new and Star Wars was several decades old. And yet; it still sold 4 billion. And guess what? Disney is going to make more money off of it by making another trilogy, and no matter how bad it is; it will still get a ton of money because of name recognition.
    Lucasfilm not only has a ton of patents/technology that came with it (IIRC), but it came with the Star Wars brand...Minecraft is big, but Star Wars is massive. Like, hugely massive.

    The two aren't even remotely in the same ballpark in terms of recognition of Lucasfilm vs. Mojang, and Star Wars vs. Minecraft.

  6. #6
    If it were true - Good for Notch, bad for everyone else.

    And really, it's totally false. Seriously? 2 billion dollars? That is a ridiculous amount. Especially when compared, like above, to the sale of Lucasfilms. That's got way more market value than Mojang will ever be, and this rumor says they're going to spend half the cost it would take to buy Lucasfilms to buy Mojang? No. Way.
    Last edited by Symphonic; 2014-09-09 at 11:58 PM.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    If it were true - Good for Notch, bad for everyone else.
    Would also probably mean that... future releases would be PC exclusives. Or, more likely; Xbone exclusives (like how Halo was on PC first than was stolen from us to be sold for more on Xbox to console players).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Annnnnnd...this is the point you should be euthanized for the betterment of humanity ;p
    Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Metzen
    "As you can see the age of the whimsical panda sadly, is over."
    Amen!

  8. #8
    But why would Notch sell? He is already rich.

  9. #9
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Avatar:三島くろね
    Posts
    9,282
    The assumption is that Mojang will do more stuff.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    But why would Notch sell? He is already rich.
    He could be even richer if he sold his legend to the devil for 2 billion moo-la!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Annnnnnd...this is the point you should be euthanized for the betterment of humanity ;p
    Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Metzen
    "As you can see the age of the whimsical panda sadly, is over."
    Amen!

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    The assumption is that Mojang will do more stuff.
    Minecraft was lightning in a bottle. Even Notch himself probably knows he won't be able to repeat that feat.

  12. #12
    Scarab Lord Ermahgerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    4,373
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    But why would Notch sell? He is already rich.
    Why would Microsoft buy Mojang? They're already rich.

    Because they want more money.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Minecraft was lightning in a bottle. Even Notch himself probably knows he won't be able to repeat that feat.
    0x10c will supplant it and make even more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Annnnnnd...this is the point you should be euthanized for the betterment of humanity ;p
    Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Metzen
    "As you can see the age of the whimsical panda sadly, is over."
    Amen!

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    0x10c will supplant it and make even more.
    I have some bad news for you....

    http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/18/46...t-its-gameplay

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Lucasfilm not only has a ton of patents/technology that came with it (IIRC), but it came with the Star Wars brand...Minecraft is big, but Star Wars is massive. Like, hugely massive.

    The two aren't even remotely in the same ballpark in terms of recognition of Lucasfilm vs. Mojang, and Star Wars vs. Minecraft.
    Well, Minecraft is the #1 selling video game of all time since June. That's about as recognizable as it gets in this industry that obsesses over sales figures. It's certainly a star wars tier juggernaut in this industry at least.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Ermahgerd View Post
    Why would Microsoft buy Mojang? They're already rich.

    Because they want more money.
    If Notch wanted more money, he can always just add F2P crap to Minecraft - he hasn't because he hates that shit.

    Point is, I don't think Notch is obsessed with money.

    MS on the other is a publicly traded company, so ...

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It was suggested in a dev livestream during one of the Scrolls betas that the game might have it's development rebooted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Annnnnnd...this is the point you should be euthanized for the betterment of humanity ;p
    Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Metzen
    "As you can see the age of the whimsical panda sadly, is over."
    Amen!

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    Well, Minecraft is the #1 selling video game of all time since June. That's about as recognizable as it gets in this industry that obsesses over sales figures. It's certainly a star wars tier juggernaut in this industry at least.
    I saw that it was the second highest selling a few months back but remember, this is a game that is a one off purchase available on almost every imaginable platform. There's no longterm monetization of it and most of the copies are pretty cheap (not full retail $60). So while it's impressive that it's moved so many units, it's deceptive in how much revenue is generated by them. It's a lot, but not as much as it seems at first glance, especially with the lack of longterm monetization.

  19. #19
    Minecraft is still selling loads, but I doubt the company is worth 2b to anyone at this point. Thinking they will ever make another game even 1/3rd as successful as Minecraft is a pipe dream at this point.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    Well, Minecraft is the #1 selling video game of all time since June. That's about as recognizable as it gets in this industry that obsesses over sales figures. It's certainly a star wars tier juggernaut in this industry at least.
    Pretty sure it's only the top selling PC game of all time. Nintendo still dominates the top of the list.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I saw that it was the second highest selling a few months back but remember, this is a game that is a one off purchase available on almost every imaginable platform. There's no longterm monetization of it and most of the copies are pretty cheap (not full retail $60). So while it's impressive that it's moved so many units, it's deceptive in how much revenue is generated by them. It's a lot, but not as much as it seems at first glance, especially with the lack of longterm monetization.
    Well right, but we were talking about recognition originally.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •