Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gombar View Post
    We'll just deactivate all of the portals, so prepair for a VERY long walk to finish that goal.
    Tis a leisurely stroll for a norn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently missing the letter J - cipher incomplete.

Could obviously just use a standard J until it's discovered, but that's boring. Perhaps until we're shown otherwise, you could use the letter for G as the letter for J.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    I don't dislike the Asura, and will roll one, but honestly there are really big asura lovers around and they are a lot of fun! (even though they can be very mean once in a while!).

And yeah perhaps using a replacement J would be an interesting idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting note/flaw: Asuran T looks extremely similar to a 7.

Edit: Fortunately, Asurans seem to use New Krytan numerals.

I'm now wondering if somebody could make a font for both this, and for New Krytan.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-06-27 at 04:25 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Interesting note/flaw: Asuran T looks extremely similar to a 7.

Edit: Fortunately, Asurans seem to use New Krytan numerals.

I'm now wondering if somebody could make a font for both this, and for New Krytan.
    New Krytan has been done

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    And it is absolutely awesome by the way.
    I love making screenshots into wallpapers of my characters, with their names on it, and New Krytan (and hopefuly Asura) just goes amazing with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Hrm, and suddenly the concept of secret documents created through Open Office just got exciting. Now if only the font wasn't specifically named New Krytan, as that makes it easy to decipher. :O

---------- Post added 2012-06-27 at 11:37 AM ----------

Also: Apparently it was said by an Asura in GWEN that their number system is actually in base 8.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Currently missing the letter J - cipher incomplete.

Could obviously just use a standard J until it's discovered, but that's boring. Perhaps until we're shown otherwise, you could use the letter for G as the letter for J.
    Yeah, I've been contemplating what to do with J. Might just draw my own glyph to use as a placeholder until J has been identified, at which point I'd update to include it.

I've taken a break in preparation for the stress test now - I'd say I'm currently ~50% done, and I've got a working "beta build". Looks ugly though. Still needs polishing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    Yeah, I've been contemplating what to do with J. Might just draw my own glyph to use as a placeholder until J has been identified, at which point I'd update to include it.

I've taken a break in preparation for the stress test now - I'd say I'm currently ~50% done, and I've got a working "beta build". Looks ugly though. Still needs polishing.
    Thank you! (Even though you're not finished and it's not polished!)

10+ Year Old Account
    I still think the smartest move is to use the letter G in it's place for now. The sound for a soft G is practically the same as J.

Of course, you could also use the letter Y instead. My mother had a language professor in college that literally swapped the J and Y sounds for every word.
    The only problem with that option is that Y is sometimes a vowel, while G is always a consonant. So I personally see using the letter G as being the best choice, since you can claim it's still spelled that way, and just pronounced softly.

Consider the pre-fix of "gyro" for example. You could spell it "jyro" and it would still be exactly the same, but spelling it "gjro" just wouldn't work.

Deleted
    Right, that'll have to be enough for tonight, and per extension, today. Quarter to midnight, and I feel like I've made a lot of progress considering I'd forgotten mostly everything about making fonts. But stumbling brings you forward too. And for now, I've decided to go with Y representing J as well, though that may change before long.

Currently needs to be done:
    Kerning - adjusting glyph spacing.
    Symbols - question marks, commas, semicolons, that sort of thing.
    Numbers - think I'll do 0-9 and people wanting to stay true to Asura counting can choose not to use the excessive numbers.
    And probably more that I'm too tired to think of right now.

Here's a little something to show you what I've got.

10+ Year Old Account
    Symbols - question marks, commas, semicolons, that sort of thing.
    I think in this case, you should make up your own for now. The guy who made the New Krytan font did that, I believe.

Numbers - think I'll do 0-9 and people wanting to stay true to Asura counting can choose not to use the excessive numbers.
    So far, it's been said they write numbers using New Krytan. I think it's fair to stick to that idea until we hear otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's a little something to show you what I've got.
    I nearly have it

[noparse]http://www.lotsd.com/files/betaasura.zip[/noparse] ?

Hello, I've been lurking these forums some time now on my free time at work and decided to make this Asuran font for you guys. I've never made a font before and don't know which site I should upload it on. If you let me know where to upload it, I'll give it to you guys.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like how it almost looks like english, but not quite. Will make learning it easier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    I like how it almost looks like english, but not quite. Will make learning it easier.
    I also like how the image we're given shows the symbols drawn by hand, rather than drawn with absolutely perfect lines. Let's you know that it doesn't need to be flawless to be readable, just like real-world writing.

It would be fun to train myself to write using these letters for personal information or stuff I only want to share with certain people. To just look at it in writing, it would appear to be chicken scratch, rather than some kind of secret cipher.

I didn't know where the best site to upload it was, but here it is (I hope it works)

www dot filedropper dot com/asuran

Let me know if it works for you. Use all caps when typing with this font or it will be nothing but A's.
    Last edited by Lurker87; 2012-06-27 at 11:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker87 View Post
    I didn't know where the best site to upload it was, but here it is (I hope it works)

www dot filedropper dot com/asuran

Let me know if it works for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker87 View Post
    Let me know if it works for you.
    Nope. Comes up as all a's.

Make sure you use all caps. I can edit it so it works with lower case as well if you would like. i just made it all caps since that's how it was on the reddit link.

According to Arkenaw, it really works.
    Last edited by Lurker87; 2012-06-27 at 11:34 PM.