Page 1 of 20
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account

USA Supreme Court decision on Arizona

ok! so the Supreme Court ruled that Arizona does in fact have the power to check citizenship documents during arrests etc..

however! they are not allowed to enforce any of the other policies..

http://jszyd.blogspot.com/2012/06/fe...rizona-on.html
    the most beautiful post I have ever read.. thank you Dr-1337 http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post22624432

10+ Year Old Account
    Not that I have any interest in going to that disgusting shithole, but now I'll really make sure to keep my legal brown butt out of that racist place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    God, Guns, Gays and Gynecology - the Republican 4G Network.

How they think people "look like illegal immigrants" without stereotyping will be entertaining, and Arizona is still right to feel themselves the laughing stock of the world for passing this. But hey, according to the current supreme court (who also let citizens united go by, not much faith in them tbh) Arizona is not violating the US constitution, so uh yay and stuff. But I mean hey, the writers of the constitution owned human beings as property if they had dark skin, so there's that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eriseis View Post
    Not that I have any interest in going to that disgusting shithole, but now I'll really make sure to keep my legal brown butt out of that racist place.
    I'll join you in staying out of Arizona.

Deleted
    As an Arizona (Tucson, very close to the border) resident, I am all ears about how to stop illegal immigration. It is a very real, and very damaging problem here.

You should all want to go to Arizona; obama and his minion have decided to cut back on law enforcement and , since they chose to ignore federal laws , it should be easier for anyone to get into Arizona. It will be like the wild west without the federal government enforcing constitutional laws. It's always good when a man swears an oath to uphold the constitution then shits on it over and over.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobdoletoo View Post
    You should all want to go to Arizona; obama and his minion have decided to cut back on law enforcement and , since they chose to ignore federal laws , it should be easier for anyone to get into Arizona. It will be like the wild west without the federal government enforcing constitutional laws. It's always good when a man swears an oath to uphold the constitution then shits on it over and over.
    The constitution says nothing about immigration :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Carazy View Post
    As an Arizona (Tucson, very close to the border) resident, I am all ears about how to stop illegal immigration. It is a very real, and very damaging problem here.
    As a former citizen of Tucson for five years, I agree.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

OK I just want to say, it's not racist that they want to enforce the law. The law is, if you want to live/work in the USA you are documented. If you're not, then you're breaking the law of this country. If you're breaking the law you're technically a criminal. They have a big problem with illegal occupants down there and it's not racists if they check to make sure you're a legal resident.

Quote Originally Posted by devonwc1985 View Post
    OK I just want to say, it's not racist that they want to enforce the law. The law is, if you want to live/work in the USA you are documented. If you're not, then you're breaking the law of this country. If you're breaking the law you're technically a criminal. They have a big problem with illegal occupants down there and it's not racists if they check to make sure you're a legal resident.
    It is racist to stop someone who looks latino on the street and ask for their papers, but you don't stop someone who has a canadian accent. That is pure racism. Asking for proof of citizenship when involved in a crime, fine. Stoping random people just because you think they look Mexican is profiling. I'm not sure how you can even imply it isn't?

If you want to stop illegal immigration, you have to go after the businesses that hire the workers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    It is racist to stop someone who looks latino on the street and ask for their papers, but you don't stop someone who has a canadian accent. That is pure racism. Asking for proof of citizenship when involved in a crime, fine. Stoping random people just because you think they look Mexican is profiling. I'm not sure how you can even imply it isn't?

If you want to stop illegal immigration, you have to go after the businesses that hire the workers.
    Except they aren't stopping random people. They're stopping people who have already been pulled over by cops for things like speeding. Unless you think they can tell whether Juan or John is driving the car before they pull them over.

Racial profiling is banned under SB1070.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

I live in Arizona, I'm not racist by any means. That doesn't mean I enjoy hearing about a defenseless old man getting shot down every other day because he was on a road near the border and some drug runners decided he was a liability. I don't particularly agree with the laws being passed, but I also don't have any better solutions. That being said I would hope that those preaching about the constitution and human rights would have a broad enough mind to understand how stereotypically insulting an entire state of people isn't helping anyone, ever.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Davendwarf View Post
    Except they aren't stopping random people. They're stopping people who have already been pulled over by cops for things like speeding. Unless you think they can tell whether Juan or John is driving the car before they pull them over.

Racial profiling is banned under SB1070.
    The high court struck down Arizona’s requirement that all immigrants obtain or carry immigration registration papers; a provision making it a crime for an illegal immigrant to seek or hold a job; and a provision allowing police to arrest suspected illegal immigrants without warrants.
    From http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...N2V_story.html

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    How they think people "look like illegal immigrants" without stereotyping will be entertaining, and Arizona is still right to feel themselves the laughing stock of the world for passing this. But hey, according to the current supreme court (who also let citizens united go by, not much faith in them tbh) Arizona is not violating the US constitution, so uh yay and stuff. But I mean hey, the writers of the constitution owned human beings as property if they had dark skin, so there's that.
    considering how careful Arizona already is.. more than likely they will just ask everyone to present identification

believe it or not.. there is not a racial barrier to illegal immigration
    the most beautiful post I have ever read.. thank you Dr-1337 http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post22624432

Scalia's remarks are so true, though, and it's kind of awesome to hear them out of a Supreme Court Justice's mouth. It is a local burden, and all those issues are all real.

This is actually a very common misconception. After an officer has stopped or detained someone, all the provision requires is that if a "reasonable suspicion" exists that they are in the country illegally, such as driving without a license or any identification, the officer needs to check that individuals immigration status. But at no time is an officer allowed to seek out Mexicans or American Hispanics and ask for their papers for no reason. Jan Brewer specifically stated that racial profiling would not be tolerated.

"Monday’s Supreme Court ruling overturning key provisions of Arizona’s illegal-immigration law opens the door for courts to strike down similar measures in states that have tried to make it a crime for illegal immigrants to live and work in the U.S."

That is the first paragraph form that article. They want courts to strike down similar measures that make it a crime for ILLEGAL immigrants to work and live. They are by definition criminals. It is against the law , yet courts can say it is okay for criminals to work and live here. This is absurd by definition alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ishootblanks View Post
    considering how careful Arizona already is.. more than likely they will just ask everyone to present identification

believe it or not.. there is not a racial barrier to illegal immigration
    Sounds like big government to me. I thought you conservative people were against that.

---------- Post added 2012-06-26 at 02:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Scalia's remarks are so true, though, and it's kind of awesome to hear them out of a Supreme Court Justice's mouth. It is a local burden, and all those issues are all real.

This is actually a very common misconception. After an officer has stopped or detained someone, all the provision requires is that if a "reasonable suspicion" exists that they are in the country illegally, such as driving without a license or any identification. But at no time is an officer allowed to seek out Mexicans or American Hispanics and ask for their papers for no reason. Jan Brewer specifically stated that racial profiling would not be tolerated.
    Except reasonable suspicion is merely pragmatic. Unless they have a dictionary or manual definition for it that clearly eliminates the chance for racial profiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdoletoo View Post
    "Monday’s Supreme Court ruling overturning key provisions of Arizona’s illegal-immigration law opens the door for courts to strike down similar measures in states that have tried to make it a crime for illegal immigrants to live and work in the U.S."

That is the first paragraph form that article. They want courts to strike down similar measures that make it a crime for ILLEGAL immigrants to work and live. They are by definition criminals. It is against the law , yet courts can say it is okay for criminals to work and live here. This is absurd by definition alone.
    Did you miss the 'STATES' part there? The Supreme Courts ruling is that dealing with Illegal Immigrants is a Federal Issue, not a State issue. I know you hate it when people are reasonable, but really...

---------- Post added 2012-06-26 at 02:30 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    This is actually a very common misconception. After an officer has stopped or detained someone, all the provision requires is that if a "reasonable suspicion" exists that they are in the country illegally, such as driving without a license or any identification, the officer needs to check that individuals immigration status. But at no time is an officer allowed to seek out Mexicans or American Hispanics and ask for their papers for no reason. Jan Brewer specifically stated that racial profiling would not be tolerated.
    Jan Brewer also claims that 'The Obama Administration launched an 'assault' upon Arizona.'

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ona/?hpt=hp_t1

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonogo View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, this isn't in the law, correct? It has to be before the person is released from a criminal offense.
    1070 is pure and simply the federal law re-written in a manner that will allow Arizona to do the job that the federal government is refusing to do.. this has been on-going for quite a while.. 1070 was in response to repeated attempts by the state to get the Federal government to assist them..

---------- Post added 2012-06-26 at 06:32 AM ----------

Did you miss the 'STATES' part there? The Supreme Courts ruling is that dealing with Illegal Immigrants is a Federal Issue, not a State issue. I know you hate it when people are reasonable, but really...

Jan Brewer also claims that 'The Obama Administration launched an 'assault' upon Arizona.'

this is Governor Brewer's words on the matter:

Options

Governor Jan Brewer

President Obama Once Again Abandons The Citizens of Arizona.

Today, the Obama administration revoked the 287(g) agreement under the authority of which Arizona law enforcement officers have partnered with the federal government in the enforcement of immigration law.

Of course, it's no coincidence that this announcement comes immediately on the heels of the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling upholding the constitutionality of the heart of Arizona’s anti-illegal immigration law: SB 1070. It’s worth noting that 68 law enforcement entities in 24 states have functioning 287(g) agreements with the federal government. But it appears the only agreements eliminated today were those in Arizona, the state that happens to be on the front lines of America’s fight against illegal immigration.

We are on our own, apparently.

I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised. The Obama administration has fought the people of Arizona at every turn – downplaying the threat that a porous border poses to our citizens, filing suit in order to block our State from protecting itself, unilaterally granting immunity to tens of thousands of illegal aliens living in our midst, and now this. Still, the disarmament of Arizona’s 287(g) agreements is a new low, even for this administration.

The President’s action should be of concern to all Americans. This fight is not over. President Obama may disregard Congress. He may target individual states like Arizona. He may generally act with impunity.

But he is not above judgment – and the American people will have theirs very soon.

You are missing the point. The point is that states are trying to make an Illegal activity a crime, which by definition is already a crime. The supreme court said that only the federal government can enforce the laws, but the current administration is against enforcing laws. Federal laws. Hence states are trying to get crimes enforced against people who are criminals and your federal government has decided not to enforce federal law. Mainly because obama needs votes.