Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dinosaurs might have been warm-blooded!

http://www.livescience.com/21215-din...m-blooded.html

Link to the article.

Basicly Autonomous University of Barcelona in Spain has put forward a possibility for dinosaurs to be warm-blooded. I believe it changes a lot in terms of how we look at evolution. Now I am by no means an expert on this matter and quite frankly my knowledge is very limited, but this just makes everything very interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Culnar
    Sometimes people act like blizzard is their friend who betrayed them and now they're pissed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulpei View Post
    Actually the backlash from pandas is because alot of the people didn't grow up.

All existing dinosaurs are certainly warmblooded. Therefore at least some extinct dinosaurs were warmblooded.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

Deleted
    Giant chickens I tell you!

Quote Originally Posted by JonTargaryen View Post
    All existing dinosaurs are certainly warmblooded. Therefore at least some extinct dinosaurs were warmblooded.
    Well many if not all reptiles are not while birds are. But since birds are there must have been atleast a single species of dino who were warm blooded at some point in history. Either that or a bird that was cold blooded.
    Damm - its the chicken and egg all over!

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Yah, they figured that out twenty plus years ago, when they realized they had to move about a lot or get eaten by little things like rats. Of course then they put two and two together and looked at the birds closely and lo and behold the dinosaurs are not gone, we just call them birds.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Well many if not all reptiles are not while birds are. But since birds are there must have been atleast a single species of dino who were warm blooded at some point in history. Either that or a bird that was cold blooded.
    Damm - its the chicken and egg all over!
    The evolution from cold blooded to warm blooded is not unheard of. It is not always just a case of thermoregulation, but other factors such as aerobic and metabolic changes as a species evolved can convert one to the other.

http://compphys.bio.uci.edu/bennett/pubs/30.pdf

Good article on it.

It's possible that a cold blooded dinosaur evolved into a warm blooded dinosaur.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Here is an interesting picture of a Raptor, which they now know had feathers.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The evolution from cold blooded to warm blooded is not unheard of. It is not always just a case of thermoregulation, but other factors such as aerobic and metabolic changes as a species evolved can convert one to the other.

http://compphys.bio.uci.edu/bennett/pubs/30.pdf

Good article on it.

It's possible that a cold blooded dinosaur evolved into a warm blooded dinosaur.
    Yea, but reptiles and amphibians have really slow metabolisms so would they be considered birds before they got warm blood or after?

Yea, but reptiles and amphibians have really slow metabolisms so would they be considered birds before they got warm blood or after?
    Reptiles and Amphibians are not birds? Just because Dinosaurs are deemed reptilian does not mean that all reptiles have or will follow the same evolutionary path. Or maybe I'm not reading the question right. This Evolution is also likely over millions upon millions of years. The dinosaur/bird hybrid w/e, would have slowly evolved to a narrower thermal tolerance and eventually becoming homeostatic. Whether that happened while still considered "reptilian" or if it was after they had become "avian" who knows.

Example is leather back sea turtles, which are technically cold blooded but can regulate their body temperatures independent to their surroundings. A feature typically unique to homeostatic species. Could be an example of a mid-evolutionary change from cold to warm blooded reptiles/amphibians etc.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2012-06-27 at 11:00 PM.

Reptiles and Amphibians are not birds? Just because Dinosaurs are deemed reptilian does not mean that all reptiles have or will follow the same evolutionary path. Or maybe I'm not reading the question right.
    I mean that since all current reptiles most closely resemble dinosaurs then it would be fair to assume that most dinosaurs were cold blooded at least to begin with. And t hen i ponder the classification between dinosaur and bird and if they would have been considered dinosaurs or birds when they became warm blooded.

I mean that since all current reptiles most closely resemble dinosaurs then it would be fair to assume that most dinosaurs were cold blooded at least to begin with. And t hen i ponder the classification between dinosaur and bird and if they would have been considered dinosaurs or birds when they became warm blooded.
    Depends on what is classically considered a "bird" or where that species lines up with the class/clade etc. Which is where this post stems from, is it possible to have a cold blooded and warm blooded dinosaurs, or by definition is a warm blooded dinosaur then become avians?

Don't get caught into the idea that all prehistoric reptiles or amphibians are "dinosaurs" or even directly related. Frogs are 250 million years old as well, predating the jurassic period, with the more recognizable species being about 200 million years old. But they're part of a different branch and order. We don't call Frogs dinosaurs, nor have Frogs evolved into Birds.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2012-06-27 at 11:16 PM.

Depends on what is classically considered a "bird" or where that species lines up with the class/clade etc. Which is where this post stems from, is it possible to have a cold blooded and warm blooded dinosaurs, or by definition is a warm blooded dinosaur then become avians?

Don't get caught into the idea that all prehistoric reptiles or amphibians are "dinosaurs" or even directly related. Frogs are 250 million years old as well, predating the jurassic period, with the more recognizable species being about 200 million years old. But they're part of a different branch and order. We don't call Frogs dinosaurs, nor have Frogs evolved into Birds.
    No of course not - just mentioned amphibians because ive specifically measured the metabolism of some of them.
    The same day i also dissected 80 cm shark with no instructions or preperation. Good times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good lord, this theory has been around since at least the 80s, this isn't anything new. I used to watch dino shows all the time on the discovery channel (and whatever else that had back then) and I can remember several scientists putting forth this idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

considering how big they are they would have to be warm-blooded or hot-blooded.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaleesi View Post
    Giant chickens I tell you!
    Wasn't there a movie like that? Chicken T-Rex or something.

From giant lizards to warm-blooded primitive birds.

My entire life is a lie.

I refuse to accept it! Never!

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I refuse to accept it! Never!
    <snip>

Mod Warning: Don't attempt to start such discussions.
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2012-06-28 at 09:07 AM.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/...nce-surprises/
    There is evidence that a relative of the t-rex had feathers that acted as insulation, so it is not far off to say they would be warm-blooded.

So the Raven Lord mount is actually more realistic than the other raptor mounts then?
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

It's interesting. My family has a book about dinosaurs that shows the relative amounts of food a carnivorous dinosaur would have to eat if it were warm-blooded versus cold blooded. They point out that the debate was still active as to which they were back then (1993), and suggest that the appetites of warm-blooded carnivorous dinosaurs would have been "impossibly huge".

Go figure.
    Freakin' infraction points...how do they work?!