Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    I hate the bezels on that thing(the nexus), but it all depends on what screen technology they choose to use.
    Not sure if this is what you need:

SCREEN
    7” 1280x800 HD display (216 ppi)
    Back-lit IPS display
    Scratch-resistant Corning glass

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    ehhhhhh, I dunno about that. Microsoft is sort of in its own little world right now with the tablet market because they're the first company to make the complete jump over to an all-in-one operating system. Google's reader market has been hindered for a long time because of Amazon's total dominance, and Amazon absolutely had it right creating a cheaper, smaller and less powerful tablet for the purpose of multimedia. Google's aiming exactly for that market, especially since Google Play has been such a huge focus for them.
    +1 im a "fandroid" for sure but the surface is still looking great, can't wait to get my hands on one for work. Real applications on a tablet = give me now, tablets are still nowhere close to where I would like them to be for getting real work done. I need full applications, not apps!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    +1 im a "fandroid" for sure but the surface is still looking great, can't wait to get my hands on one for work. Real applications on a tablet = give me now, tablets are still nowhere close to where I would like them to be for getting real work done. I need full applications, not apps!
    Have to admit the surface with Win 8 is smooth and the interactive icons with real time info are pretty phenomenal.

10+ Year Old Account
    The ipad is not aimed towards a powerhouse market, the iPad is a casual little old grandama macine. Sure the nexus is smaller and the screen is not as fancy, but do you really think it can't do anything the ipad can do like, software wise, because of it's different specs?

The real powerhouse tablets, will be the ones with laptop insides, real computers, not giant mobile phones.

rumor has it the Kindle Fire 2 will be announced July 31st. Another rumor has it Apple will introduce an iPad Mini this September.

Kindle Fire 2 vs Nexus 7 vs iPad Mini.

I'm gonna compare the three before making a decision which one to buy.
    Last edited by Bourne2Play; 2012-06-29 at 04:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WingsofLiberty View Post
    The iPad is dedicated to another range of customers, you can't really compare the 2.

I would pick an iPad 2 though, I prefer the huge screen, but the Nexus is tempting as well.
    Agree with WingsOfLiberty. iPad can just not be compared with Nexus. Both are made to target different market groups.

Quote Originally Posted by harrismargaret9 View Post
    Agree with WingsOfLiberty. iPad can just not be compared with Nexus. Both are made to target different market groups.
    what are those 2 different group you speak of? Please enlighten me here because ....it is literally the same market.

Quote Originally Posted by McFrotton View Post
    what are those 2 different group you speak of? Please enlighten me here because ....it is literally the same market.
    Highend versus lowend.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

$249 for an Android 4.1 device sounds amazing. It's going to destroy the Kindle Fire.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    $249 for an Android 4.1 device sounds amazing. It's going to destroy the Kindle Fire.
    Yes, but that's old. it's the kindle fire 2 or advanced or whatever they come up with to compete - and if they get the qualcomm displays then it's gonna be a tough choice.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

I actually went ahead and sold off my iPad 3rd generation bundle. Sold it used for a decent price to pick this up. My family and I are already synced up with Google and our android phones, so may as well make the leap. Plus we weren't really using the iPad to it's fullest.

What's cool is that Google is also giving $25.00 Play store credit and a free Transformers: Dark of the Moon movie. Not that the transformers movie is OMG awesome, but nonetheless it's good to get something for free and more than half the cost we spent on the iPad.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/29/31...nexus-7-review

Review of the tablet. Android 4.1 is described as "buttery" in its smoothness, battery is good and performance is stellar. I may be picking one of these up.

If I ever would be interested in these tablets, this would be the first one who actually has left me a positive impression.
    It lacking microSD, with 'only' 8/16 internal, is potentially an issue, since I do like to watch HD-movies/series with handheld devices (read; 'smart'phone).

However, it's not a phone, so it doesn't need as much storage either. My phone with 16GiB+microSD will fill the niche for music, eBooks, some visual media as well as other things more "storage".
    Wheras the tablet would be more niched, more for eBooks and visual media. Other than its surfing qualities.

I'm not a fan of tablets, but this one, I like. Size, resolution, implemetation. I like it. I dislike that it's 16:10, but I respect that with portables, it's better than 16:9.

Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    Highend versus lowend.
    Uhm that isn't a different market

That is called a segment

And even the segment is overlapping currently since in terms of functionality the product are the same

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Uhm that isn't a different market

That is called a segment

And even the segment is overlapping currently since in terms of functionality the product are the same
    Just as much same functionality as comparing a Porsche to a Tata. Both are essentially cars and get you from A to B, but those are aimed for entirely different markets, not just market segments.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

All tablets are competing against one another in the sense that very, very few consumers will purchase more than one.

It might not be the best analogy, but I don't think it's too far a stretch to liken it to a comparison of a mid-size car versus a full-size sedan. Both get you from point A to point B, both can have similar engines / acceleration / performance (in this case, the Nexus 7 is actually sporting one of the most powerful). The full-size may be a bit more comfortable on long drives (larger screen) and offer more trunk space (removable media), but typically aren't as maneuverable (easy to use single-handed), convenient to park (carry it in your pocket) or budget-friendly.

The Nexus 7 doesn't offer cellular connectivity, but the fact that the wifi-only versions of the iPads are Apple's biggest sellers demonstrates pretty clearly the simple truth that many people are willing to forego a 3g/4g connection in a world where wifi is increasingly available, or might simply tether it to their phone / hotspot when needed (meaning one less wireless bill).

Of course, iPad Mini (if the rumor mill ever gives way to an actual product release), MS Surface, and Kindle 2 will mix things up a bit, but that's just sponsoring healthy competition. Since I use an android phone and am already invested in apps, an android tablet makes more sense for me; likewise, iPhone users or those with sizable investment in iTunes would receive immediate bonus value is picking up some version of the iPad.

Edit: @ Vesseblah, go figure I start typing a response, step afk to take a call, return to finish and post and you beat me to the car analogy punch!

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Deleted
    http://www.tayo.fr/images/nexus7-vs-nouvel-ipad.jpg
    It's not the same power, not the same resolution ( and we shouldn't talk about ppi ) but hey, 250 $ vs 500 $ !
    I read that Google don't earn money with nexus 7. ( but maybe with google play ).
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2012-07-01 at 12:41 AM.

The profit margins are very slim for Google as far as the hardware is concerned. They make their money in the software. Developers pay a fee to have their apps on the play store, they probably have deals worked out with various organizations and companies (X amount of downloads of Hulu's app, for example), and the books/music/movies aspect of the Play Store are also huge for profit.

In short, they want your operating system of choice to be theirs, and they're probably of the mind that the best way to do this is make the hardware that runs it readily available. It's also why their flagship phone is friggin' 349.99 USD, no contract unlocked.

For myself, I will choose ipad2, I love its huge screen, and the ios is better than android.