7.1 surround gaming headsets

Im currently looking at replacing my headset so im kinda thinking on 7.1 gaming headsets.
    But im wondering what you all have, if you have tried a few 7.1 headsets, previous experiances, pros. and cons. durability, quality and so forth!

I had the G35 and a G930 and personally it's been the only two Logitech items I have ever owned that I hated. (G35 had an earpiece crap out very quickly. G930 the wireless was just horrible IMO)

I've also owned several 5.1 headsets:

Medusa 5.1 - I actually really liked this headset. Extremely comfortable, unfortunately 2 drivers crapped out in 1 ear within 2 months. My brother had his for a few years before it crapped out. They also are no longer in business

Used to have an older Razer headset that they no longer made. Garbage. It fit terrible on my head and the construction was horrendous. Will no longer buy Razer products.

Turtle Beach 5.1 - This headset actually wasn't too bad but it was also wireless for obvious reasons (was an Xbox headset mainly) and I really despise anything wireless when it comes to computer gaming.

There are very few "true" 7.1 headsets and even then most of them don't sound any better than a good stereo headset paired with.

I now own a Senheiser PC360. It isn't a cheap headset but it is the best one I have owned so far. I pair it with a small headphone amp + a HT Claro plus sound card and it sounds great with anything I do and the mic works well from what I have been told.
    Desktop: i7 6700k @ 4.8GHz | MSI 1080ti Gaming X | EVGA Classified K | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V @ 3200MHz | Samsung 950 Pro 256GB (OS) Micron 2TB SSD (Games) | Seasonic 750W Titanium | Corsair 750D | Acer x34 Predator Benq PD3200U
    HIDevolution NP9877 Laptop: Delidded i7 8700k @ 4.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 1080 | 16GB G.Skill @ 2946MHz | Samsung 950 Pro 256GB (OS) 2x 500GB SSDs (Games) | 1440p 120HZ GSync Display

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're looking into gaming headphones, go with a brand that's dedicated to audio, not some gaming brand like Steelseries or Razer.

Brands to look for:
    Sennheiser
    Shure
    Audio Technica
    Creative
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    I've got the Corsair Vengeance 1500. They're nice. Only complaints for me are that they don't work with Xbox (which isn't their fault, it's Microsoft's, and it's a non-issue for me now that I got an actual TV) and the volume control on the cord is at a bad spot for me (has a tendency to sit in between my arm and arm rest, which isn't comfortable, until I move it, then it ends up right back there again in a couple minutes)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Every word I read of that post has your credibility plummeting like a hooker getting a suitcase full of money for a BJ.

Creative is a "dedicated audio" brand? That's amusing. Turtle Beach makes some good equipment and they have been a dedicated PC audio brand for more than 15 years. I have had nothing but pleasure from my Turtle Beach headset.

I purchased the Razer Tiamat, which has 4 speakers and 1 subwoofer in each ear, and I have to say it's the best sounding headset I've had to date. I've tried previous 7.1 virtual surround sound headsets and the Tiamat blows them out of the water. The headset is light and comfortable with leatherish ear pieces. The only con I have to say about the headset is that the microphone isn't up to the standards. The sound quality from the microphone is muffled, but that probably because they designed the microphone to be flimsy. Also, in order to use this headset optimally, you will need a sound card.

What else would you describe Creative as? Since my first Sound Blaster card, I've never associated them with anything but audio.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePants999 View Post
    What else would you describe Creative as? Since my first Sound Blaster card, I've never associated them with anything but audio.
    I would describe them as a multimedia hardware marketer. Webcams, cameras, modems, mice, keyboards, speakers, headsets, etc, etc.

Deleted
    If you're looking towards the G35 remember it's software simulated 7.1, which means it's buggy for some games and programs which won't support it. One of these programs would be Mumble.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hi Duran,

If you have an issue with the microphone on your Tiamat headset, please contact our customer support team at raze r s upport. com/e mail and we'll be able to assist you. Thanks!

Apologies for the broken link - had to do it to post.

Regards,

Razer|bigwie

Deleted
    Well that's new, an actual support post? lol. razersupport.com/email

Thanks for all the replies! intresting to see what people are using...im currently using the "ASUS Xonar Phoebus" soundcard so THAT shouldt be a problem, nor is price as i want quality..i have been thinking abit about astro's and tiamat 7.1 but im not sure atleast about the tiamat as ive heard alot of negative things about it in the past, spesificly the buzzing..however i do have USB 3.0 and a good enough soundcard to support it!

although i know from personal experiance that razer do make quality items in the terms of when they are working..but on that topic ive had quite a few mices thats only survived about 1 year of active use such as the razer naga which started to ghost click after given period. that alone puts me off razer products somewhat but USB headset also only has simulated 7.1 which isent the same quality.

as people above said, turtle beach is a good brand! i do have the px21 with the DSS however, as they are the best "PC based" headsets that they have, i dont really find them too comfortable over longer gaming seasons as is the reason for me looking on a new one.
    Last edited by gamok1; 2012-06-28 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    If you're looking into gaming headphones, go with a brand that's dedicated to audio, not some gaming brand like Steelseries or Razer.

Brands to look for:
    Sennheiser
    Shure
    Audio Technica
    Creative
    Fix'd, it does vary from 'phone to 'phone, but their build quality is kinda sketchy. They also Use Fostex drivers in some phones, which measure great. Their sound cards are Okay.

TO the OP. If you're looking for a 7.1 Surround headset you're looking in the wrong place. It's the same as a 7.1 simulated pair of stereo headphones. If you want a 7.1 effect get a sound card that does that , not a 7.1 gimmick headset.
    What's your current setup and how much do you have to spend, will you only be doing gaming or will you be listening to music, if so what genre?
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    Fix'd, it does vary from 'phone to 'phone, but their build quality is kinda sketchy. They also Use Fostex drivers in some phones, which measure great. Their sound cards are Okay.

TO the OP. If you're looking for a 7.1 Surround headset you're looking in the wrong place. It's the same as a 7.1 simulated pair of stereo headphones. If you want a 7.1 effect get a sound card that does that , not a 7.1 gimmick headset.
    What's your current setup and how much do you have to spend, will you only be doing gaming or will you be listening to music, if so what genre?
    There are headsets with multiple drivers in one cup available, though their quality is questionable.

I've owned my pair of G35's for a long time now, if they ever decide to break, I'll be getting some decent headphones and not some cheap plastic ones the overhyped teen me would've bought 5 years ago.

I have the Logitech g930 and I really love them. I haven't had any problems with them at all. I've never owned a pair of 7.1 wireless before, so I have nothing to compare them to. I like how customizable the surround sound is, and how well they cancel out the noise from the outside. I like the customizable buttons on the side, which is really handy when I need to go to the kitchen (like the good woman I am lol) and I still want to talk on vent. They were really easy to install, and really easy to understand. They're not the BEST out there, when you have elite gaming headset companies dedicated to this one thing, but they give the most bang for the buck.

10+ Year Old Account

Creative is a decent brand nonetheless, I've tried most of their newer equipment at Dreamhack/Copenhagen games. Currently using the Wrath wireless headset if I'm making food/resting on the hammock :P

The build quality is not the best, but it's decent for it's money.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

as i said in my previous post, im currently using the "asus xonar pheobus" sound card which has 7.1 support.
    price range isent a problem as im gonna invest into something decent but i guess i have a max range on about 300-350 euro.

---------- Post added 2012-06-29 at 01:26 PM ----------

anyone tested the sound quality off the razer tiamat 7.1, astro or an audiophile headset in the price range 300-350 euro?
    i appriciate any feedback and / or recommendations.
    Last edited by gamok1; 2012-06-29 at 01:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I made a list for you, you won't go wrong with any of the brands listed.

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post

Brands to look for:
    Sennheiser
    Shure
    Audio Technica
    Creative

Armory